SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:02 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake's 60" Pfalz E.1 - 2nd Prototype

As the title says I'm the second prototype builder of Pete's 60" ws Pfalz E.1.
Dan Parson's very useful build thread is here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=pfalz
Like Dan, I am building the short kit from Manzano Laser Works (http://www.manzanolaser.com/). As usual the wood selection and laser cutting were top-notch.
I'm not going to repeat what's in the other thread because Dan and Pete have covered all the interesting bits.
Having said that, for Pete and Charlie's benefit I will point out that 2 issues Dan had with the short kit are still present, ie the big hole in former F1A and the short balsa wingtips. Also 4 ea P1s and P2s are provided as if they should be doubled to 1/4" but the plans show 1/8". Additionally the 2 N pieces weren't in my kit.

On to the build...

Tim
Newtron is offline Find More Posts by Newtron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:42 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
The basics

A few weeks back I had to spend a week in a hotel outside Detroit MI. So I loaded as much of my mancave that would fit into my car and transformed my hotel room into a secondary mancave.
I did find out that a hotel room is even worse than a basement for taking pictures (sorry Pete!). Here are a few of my attempts.
The plan consists of 3 sheets, the front fuselage, the rear fuselage and the wing panels.
The E.1 fuselage is designed like the other Rake models I have built, a front box and rear stringers. There is an option to use a brushed or brushless motor.
Peter has previously made it very clear that he doesn't like to put ailerons on a model if the full size didn't have them . So as designed the E.1 is a R/E/T model. Brass wing tubes are bound and glued to formers which set the dihedral. The wings use carbon fiber tubes as spars and they slide into the brass tubes so the wings are removable.

Tim
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:58 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
all assembled

I made great progress in Detroit but once I returned to Cleveland, things slowed. I had to finish my BalsaUSA Bristol M.1D and then I got distracted by the faux engine, pilot and paint scheme.
The M.1D has flown, the Oberursel has been put on hold, the pilot is painted and am happy with the scheme.
There was a discussion on TheAerodrome.com regarding the E.1 color. Here are the highlights:
"The Pfalz E.-EVI were covered with bleached linen, white in color. White bed sheets are are bleached cotton. Fokker used unbleached linen which was beige (light brown) in color. The photo of the Fok.A.I(M8) clearly shows how dark the unbleached linen was.
The rule is: If it is white and translucent, it is bleached

Yes, the finish WAS different. They were described as "snow white" by contemporary German reports, and personnel. Company color advertising posters of the time show them as white finished as well... not beige, buff, or tan. They were very light. They also, because of their black painted edging, were called "Fliegende Todesanzeige" (Flying Obituaries) because of the style of the black borders in the Obituary notices in the German newspapers.

In all likelihood, the Fokkers you see like that are clear doped linen. The Pfalz Eindeckers were painted white with black borders and details."

Good enough for me. Time to cover it and get it in the air.

Tim
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:39 PM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,041 Posts
Very nice Newtron. I look forward to seeing her covered. I've had a soft spot for the EI since building a 1/48 Gavia scale model. Got to love the black to white contrast. Hope you don't mind if I include a pic here of the 1/48 model - I have posted it elsewhere on these boards.
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:05 AM
SC
Joined Jan 2007
239 Posts
Looking nice Tim!
What motor/battery combination will you be using? I'll be starting one of these very soon...
Paul
1905Flyer3 is offline Find More Posts by 1905Flyer3
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:40 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post
A few weeks back I had to spend a week in a hotel outside Detroit MI. So I loaded as much of my mancave that would fit into my car and transformed my hotel room into a secondary mancave. .....
Good work, fella!!!! Wonder what the cleaners thought when they came into your room whilst you were at work...??

Sounds like the best thing to do whilst stuck in a motel outside Detroit - even as a resident of the UK, I understand from my US auto industry colleagues that it is preferable to being stuck in a motel in Detroit!!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:35 AM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1905Flyer3 View Post
Looking nice Tim!
What motor/battery combination will you be using? I'll be starting one of these very soon...
Paul
Hey Paul,
I have a Turnigy 35-36 1300 lying around and am planning on using it. It is rated for 400 W and 35-67 oz so it should work but we'll see. I don't like being limited to a 9" or 10" prop so I may end up using something else . I also have lots of 3S2100 so I'll be using them.
The weather has been cooperating lately so I've been doing more flying/repairing than building but the wing and tailfeathers are covered. Also I fabbed a hatch and battery box.
The faux Oberursel is still slowing things down so tonight I said the heck with it and ordered the 5 3/8" one from Parkflyer Plastics. It is a little undersized but should be fine.
I would think she should be in the air in a couple of weeks - a long 4th of July holiday is coming up so I should have some extra building time .

Tim
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:45 AM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Good work, fella!!!! Wonder what the cleaners thought when they came into your room whilst you were at work...??

Sounds like the best thing to do whilst stuck in a motel outside Detroit - even as a resident of the UK, I understand from my US auto industry colleagues that it is preferable to being stuck in a motel in Detroit!!
I wondered what the cleaners thought also, probably that the room's occupant was a dweeb.
The last time I had to spend a week in Detroit I built the wing for a GP Slow Poke so guilty as charged.
Far be it for me to diss Detroit but I'm from Ohio so any time spent in Michigan is wasted time.

Tim
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:50 AM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelholic View Post
Very nice Newtron. I look forward to seeing her covered. I've had a soft spot for the EI since building a 1/48 Gavia scale model. Got to love the black to white contrast. Hope you don't mind if I include a pic here of the 1/48 model - I have posted it elsewhere on these boards.
Very nice ModelH. I can't even make the 1/6 scale look that good.
If you don't mind I think I will "borrow" your scheme (excepting for the pink "tyres" of course).

Tim
Old Jun 29, 2011, 05:29 AM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,041 Posts
They are a little pink aren't they, but don't forget that black isn't accurate as the rubber was not dyed. They were a pink to grey colour.
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:54 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Sgtdirt would love the pink tires. When will she be ready for maiden?
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:59 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
great looking build, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:40 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
I have a set of the Williams Bros. wheels in white for mine. They look fantastic.
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:08 PM
SC
Joined Jan 2007
239 Posts
Tim,
With the short nose, it looks like the battery is going to have to be really close to the Firewall. Is that your reasoning for the top hatch?
Paul
1905Flyer3 is offline Find More Posts by 1905Flyer3
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:52 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelholic View Post
They are a little pink aren't they, but don't forget that black isn't accurate as the rubber was not dyed. They were a pink to grey colour.
I wasn't questioning the historical accuracy of pink tires. I was questioning what would be said if I showed up at the field with pink tires. A man flying toy airplanes can't be too careful.

Tim