HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:16 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,658 Posts
Weather looks great! Ya'll have fun now! Yep, I'm on the road working and won't be there so I expect a full flight report with photos!

Curtis
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:49 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,658 Posts
There isn't one little written word or photo for me, the one who was out slaving in the salt mines and wasn't able to make this record attending contest?

I hope everyone had a great time, even without me!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:15 AM
United States, MT, Belgrade
Joined Aug 2010
340 Posts
No Response from PMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
There isn't one little written word or photo for me, the one who was out slaving in the salt mines and wasn't able to make this record attending contest?

I hope everyone had a great time, even without me!

Curtis
Curtis,

Ironic that this sloper would respond on the ALICE forum, but I suspect that PMT is so engrossed in preparing his new house to move in to that he has had no time to respond. He did call me and say he had had a good time and was glad to be back home in one piece. Any other details will be for him to give.

I'll jump over to the slope forum and with some possible bad news about TT.

BTID,

TIO
GuiotsBaby is offline Find More Posts by GuiotsBaby
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:08 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,658 Posts
Record Attendance!

Results Posted at http://tailwindgliders.com/ALES.html

Congratulations to Jon Garber our youngest member for winning the contest!

He's 14 years old, has been flying R/C for a year, scratch built his 130" wingspan woodie and whooped them all!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
541 Posts
Oooops!

Well, the only thing I have to offer on this ALES forum this time around is the one and only picture I took at our last event, and sadly it's of an unfortunate ending to a "bright" beginning. It seems that the friend I was timing for climbed his Radian right smack into the middle of the blazing bright sun and both of us lost sight of it. When I finally spotted it, it was diving left at a high rate of speed, AND upside down! My pilot friend was looking for it off to his right, and by the time I was able to discern that it was on the left, upside down and headed down, it was too late.

I'm not really sure how to describe the sound of compressed styrofoam hitting the ground at a high rate of speed, but it "kinda" sounded like a water melon hitting the ground having been dropped from about 100 feet It was certainly audible! I'm so sorry that it happened, but am grateful it didn't hit any of the spectators. Hopefully my friend will have it repaired or replaced by July's event.
A Blessed 4th of July to all!

Arlen
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Last edited by Paradise MT; Jul 05, 2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:07 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,658 Posts
I believe all the details are done for the Montana Summer ALES two day contest this weekend.

The food has been setup, submarine/pooboy sandwiches. I've also heard there may be an option of a burger. The field will get mowed this week, the porta-potty has been ordered and the scoring and printing/posting of scores will take place this time too!

Driving
Please note that we are going to be setup a little further South than normal. The farmer has decided to do a second partial planting/cutting which is North or where we usually are on an east-west line. It's imperative that we DO NOT drive on this area. So the North/South runway entrance will be blocked off. When you turn off of Eames lane into the drive to his house make an immediate right just past the irrigation ditch. You should be about 5-10 feet East of this irrigation ditch. Then just drive straight ahead. It'll be marked.

Dry camping is available.

I plan to have three flight groups on Saturday and two on Sunday. The reason for three groups on Saturday is so that we don't walk ourselves to death in the heat of the day. We should finish around 4pm on Saturday and 2pm on Sunday.
We'll have a nice long break for lunch both days to chat and get out of the sun.

Pilot's meeting both days is 9am.

I hope to fly 8-12 rounds on Saturday and possibly 6 on Sunday.
This will be a relaxing slow paced contest, thus the reason for three flight groups.

The contest results will be sent to the ALES League.
Medals will be given to the top three places each day.

For those who fly both days we'll total up both days scores and award home made wood plaques to the top three winners.

Any questions please don't hesitate to call me.

Curtis
www.TailwindGliders.com/ALES.html
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Curtis Suter; Jul 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: ALES League Submission Change (error)
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:31 AM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Each day will be a separate contest with results sent to the ALES League.
Medals will be given to the top three places each day.
Curtis,

Happened to catch this. Multi-day contests must be submitted as a single event. Please see section 1.c. here.

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:10 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,658 Posts
Randy,

So for the folks that only fly one day I assume this will do more harm than good to their ALES League standings? We are a small club and it seems some folks can only make one day or another. I am also hearing that folks don't think they can fly till 4-5pm in the summer heat on Saturday. I guess I am unable to please everyone. I hope it turns out enjoyable for everyone if not it will die a quick death.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:19 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,974 Posts
Quote:
So for the folks that only fly one day I assume this will do more harm than good to their ALES League standings?
Not necessarily. Only your top 5 scores count.

Quote:
We are a small club and it seems some folks can only make one day or another. I am also hearing that folks don't think they can fly till 4-5pm in the summer heat on Saturday. I guess I am unable to please everyone.
Yeah, I hear ya. Same with the ALES League.

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:45 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,658 Posts
Thanks Randy and thanks for all you do for ALES and our wonderful soaring hobby.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:52 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,658 Posts
The results are posted!
http://tailwindgliders.com/ALES.html

Saturday's results:
1st Curtis Suter flying an eSupra "Red Merle"
2nd John Poulson flying an Art Hobby Odyssy
3rd Joe Longmire flying a Magellan

Sunday's results:
1st Jon Garber flying a Jon E home design
2nd Curtis Suter flying an eSupra "Red Merle"
3rd Dick Jones flying an Art Hobby Solaris

Two Day Combined Results:
1st Curtis Suter
2nd Jon Garber
3rd Dick Jones

Congratulations to everyone!
Thanks to everyone who made this event happen!

Jon Garber is our youngest member at 14 who has only been flying R/C for just over a year! He scratch built his model which is balsa/ply. Obviously he likes it!
I talk a lot about consistency in soaring. On Sunday he placed first in his flight group several times but he never placed 1st in the overall round, however, he was so consistent throughout the day that he ended up with a first place win!
I thought that was interesting. Congratulations Jon!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:16 AM
Gone Flyin'
United States, MT, East Helena
Joined Nov 2010
386 Posts
This was the first ALES I have attended. I thought it was well run and really looked like fun. So much so, that I'm doing an E-conversion to one of my existing sailplanes as well as adding flaps and ailerons. Maybe I can get in on the fun next time around.
Speed37 is offline Find More Posts by Speed37
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:59 AM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
662 Posts
This was my first ALES event, and my first sailplane contest in... um..28 years. Things haven't really changed much in 28 yrs, (yeah, right still the same ol' great group of guys. Thanks to sixty9mustang for taking all those excellent pictures, and to Wayne for the beautiful venue and CDing, and to Curtis for being assistant CD And to all you others for your comraderie.

In the words of Arnold in 'The Terminator'..
I will try my hardest to make any future events you might have, as this was quite enjoyable.

Or something like that.
--
Greg
Kalispell, MT
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism