Chip
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 02:16 PM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
Again!!!

Well Guys......I am writing a "happy" report this time. After my 3rd repair job on my Oracle 93, I was able to test fly it today and return home without having to do any repair work. As I learned from my last wreck, my Spektrum AR600 receiver was "locking up" on me and sending my plane into the ground. I have since replaced it with a Spektrum AR6210 receiver with a satellite on it. It appears to function without any glitches. After another boom repair, an entire tail feather repair, and some fuse cracks, PLUS another 2.5 oz of lead in the front to get her balanced, it seems to fly and float rather well.

Curtis......for some reason, the dual rate function is working now, and I was able to reduce that ridiculous aileron throw down quite a bit, thus making for much gentler handling.

Anyhow, I hope to be ready for the next ALES event that I'm able to make. This coming one I'll be in Oregon visiting my granddaughters, but hope to make the rest of them this summer.
Blessings to all,
Arlen
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Old May 19, 2012, 03:16 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,544 Posts
Great news Arlen! I am glad not only it is in flying condition but that you also had fun with it. Did you get any landing drills accomplished? I try to get a half dozen one minute flights in with a timer and landing tape. That is where my mp3 player comes in handy.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
A few

Curtis,

I did manage to land it three times, but worked more on landing safely than landing closely or timely. I think the next time I take it out, I'll do some landing practice. I only spent about 45 minutes max playing around, and most of my time was working thermal bumps. This Oracle responds real well to small rises, and I found that very encouraging. More to come.
Blessings,

Arlen
Old May 19, 2012, 07:47 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Congrats!

Hey Arlen,

Congrats on the successful day with the Oracle. Has got to be a good feeling after having a run of frustration. I hope you have a safe trip and see you soon, either in the field or on the slope

Take Care,
Chip
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old May 25, 2012, 04:23 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,544 Posts
As if I need to tell you the contest this Saturday has been postponed due to weather.

The makeup date will be in two weeks on the 9th of June.
Next weekend folks will be flying/working at the pylon races.

Hope to see you with much better weather in two weeks. Keep practicing!

Curtis
www.TailwindGliders.com/ALES.html
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
Go Big or Go Home

Ok Guys (& Gals).....

Fair warning......here is some video of my new ALES plane So be ready for some major competition in June
Blessings,

Arlen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-y-yv1r-efg
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:21 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,544 Posts
Good morning.

As I sit here and try to wakeup with my warm coffee we're down to three days till another ALES contest. It looks as if Mother Nature is going to cooperate this time! Yahoo!

I attached the forecast weather chart. It looks like light winds till about noon when 10-15kts are forecast followed by a 20-40% chance of showers. That must mean a little instability in the air i.e. Thermals!

Temperatures in the mid to upper 50's.

Hope to see everyone there.

Curtis
Montana ALES
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:20 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,544 Posts
The May Contest in windy and chilly conditions is complete!

Dick and Bob from Billings came and Marlow from Great Falls made the trek to help out. It was great visiting with them and everyone else. I had a wonderful time as well as all of the other smiles I saw on the field. The conditions were far from optimum but it's Man-on-Man soaring and we're all flying in the same weather conditions and you could tell who was flying the best in these challenging conditions.

It was great to see someone else on top of the leader board! Congratulations Jim Cooney! Jim Loughran just can't let anyone else have second place. I believe he's been stuck there all season! Joe Longmire flew wonderfully. Look out for him in the months to come. Our youngest member Jon Garber flew great as well but stripped an elevator servo and had to zero a round. Bummer.

Please share any other items of interest as it's hard to see everything that goes on.

As always the scores and spreadsheets are available at www.TailwindGliders.com/ALES.html

The next contest is on the 30th of June. Hope to see everyone there!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Feb 2010
539 Posts
Priming the Pump

Maybe the attached video will prime the pump a little for our Montana ALES in East Helena.
Enjoy and Blessings!
Arlen

ALES Contest 1.mp4 (10 min 30 sec)
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:16 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,544 Posts
Weather is looking perfect for Saturday!

Early flying is encouraged but the contest starts at 10am. Jim Loughran will be the CD.

Hope to see you there!
Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:21 PM