HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2012, 06:58 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,668 Posts
The Contest Saturday has been postponed till Sunday at 10am.

Details are always available at http://tailwindgliders.com/ALES.html

Hope to see you there!

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 07:52 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Thanks Curtis
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old May 05, 2012, 07:55 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,668 Posts
The weather is looking to be perfect for Sunday!

There are five, count them, five folks from Billings coming! I believe only two or three will be flying but the others whom don't have planes yet are very interested.

Ah, selling the addiction to thermals is great.

PS For those folks who haven't been here there are no bathroom facilities. The local tree works if there were one on the field.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 10:27 AM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
542 Posts
Have Fun!

Curtis,
Indeed, the addiction to thermals is challenging. As much as I really enjoy slope soaring, I'm so glad that I've expanded my field of RC flying to include thermaling, and various forms of power. They are all so different, and can only serve to make me a better pilot as well as provide more stick time. Hope you guys have a great day tomorrow!
Blessings,
Arlen
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Old May 06, 2012, 08:31 PM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Radian mods/food for thought

Hey all,

Here is a Radian mod, I came across from Paul Naton. It sure seems to address some of the issues that my son seemed to be getting frustrated from today while doing some training in some not so perfect conditions. I think I will look more into these mods and see what we come up with. Fairly simple stuff, but would make HUGE differences in performance. Take a look.

http://glidefast.typepad.com/glidefa...d-set-ups.html

and here the same mod being done by a RCGroups member.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1646181

Happy Flying,
Chip
Old May 07, 2012, 07:44 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,668 Posts
Chip,

Those look like some great modifications! I especially like the idea of the sanding of the wing and application of tape to smooth things out. I can't wait to hear to a flight report of the changes you notice.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 07:54 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,668 Posts
April Contest in May Results

Well after two cancellations due to weather we were finally able to get the April contest completed.

Jim Loughran was the CD and gave us tasks of 5,6,8,10,12 minutes. The weather started out with winds of a stead 10mph and as the day went on the winds would die down then pick up again. Landings at first were difficult to say the least as well as some of the flight times.

We had six folks from Billings make the long trek up and three of them flew. It was really nice to meet these folks and they are a great group of guys. I can see once they obtain a field we may have to make a trek to Billings for an ALES contest!

I believe most folks have flown an Art Hobby plane at one time or another and Andre from http://www.arthobby.com/ came along too! It was great to meet him as well as the rest of the Billings folks. I've owned at least three of his airplanes and have always enjoyed flying them.

I'm certain I didn't see all of the interesting things that happened during the contest but I was impressed by Jon Garber who is 14 years old and has only flown R/C for a year win third place with his scratch built 3 meter all balsa plane, the "Jon-E" Nice flying Jon!

The results are posted at http://www.tailwindgliders.com/ALES.html

We didn't get a photo with all of us and our planes and I don't have anything suitable for posting. If anyone has any photos please pass them along.

See ya at the end of the month!
Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 09:25 AM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
542 Posts
Thank You

Curtis and Gang,
Thank you once again for posting the results of the "April" ALES event. I truly missed being with everyone and competing. Sorry I missed seeing Andre as well. I have three of his Art Hobby planes, and continue to fly and enjoy them quite often.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be missing the May 26th event as well. You see, I have these two precious granddaughters living out in Oregon, and duty calls for me to go spend some time with them. Because of my wife's work schedule, we need to be in Oregon on May 26th. My loss, BUT also a giant gain for me

My ongoing plans are to be flying my Oracle 93 in an attempt to improve my airborne and landing skills for the next time I can be with you all.
Blessings,
Arlen
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Old May 07, 2012, 12:52 PM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Contest pics

Hey Arlen,

You missed another cold day of flying, hehe!!

My son and I took some pictures, I hope you enjoy! I may not be a good thermal pilot, but when I find one, I ride it for all I can, LOL! I hooked one on our 8 minute task and almost lost the plane twice. I had it pretty high up, but that white plane mixed with the clouds got me nervous twice, as I was circling, I lost sight of the plane twice, long enough to really make me nervous. Managed to not lose where I was looking, so remained collected until I could see it and start flying her back up wind towards me. Then had to lose a ton of altitude to that I could get down in time for my landing, which is a very rare thing for me. Usually I land long before my task time. So I did what I like to do, aerobatics, tons of altitude, lots of airspeed = loops, rolls, downward spiral or vertical rolls on the down line. Tons of fun At least I had one good round!

Got to meet Andre of ART HOBBY from Billings. Got to talk with Bob from Billings (always a pleasure). Got to enjoy more flying with the Helena crowd, can't complain about that!

My son got some training in on the Radian and even solo'ed on the buddy box (meaning he had one complete flight from launch to landing without me having to take the controls back from him). Later that day, after the contest, we flew some more on the buddy box, but the winds really created a challenge that frustrated him, as I had to take the controls over more often. A little pep talk and he was right back at it. Got to give him props though, through it all, he kept saying he didn't want to give up. He has determination. Towards the end of our session, the winds started to lighten up and he was doing awesome again and having more fun!

I hope everyone else had as good a time and hope see more of our Montana neighbors.

Chip
Old May 07, 2012, 01:08 PM
Billings MT
Joined Jan 2002
65 Posts
We Had a GREAT Time

The Billings Flyers want to thank you all for all the Fun, and to Meet all you ALES Flyers.
I am sure we will be back to visit again.
Regards,
Bob, Dick, John, Andre, Carl, Scott
BobB is offline Find More Posts by BobB
Old May 08, 2012, 09:25 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,668 Posts
To all of the Billings flyers it was great having you visit us. If there is something that we can do to make your day easier please don't hesitate to ask. Such as start time of the contest, length of the contest, scoring, flight line, calling up flight groups etc....

We like to keep it low key and fun and most importantly we like to wait a bit to ensure everyone gets to fly. Obviously we need to keep things moving but waiting a few minutes if someone is having an issue on with their model/watch etc.. I think is a must to keep the competition fun and relaxing.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 10:15 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,668 Posts
This is Jonathon with his 100% scratch built model called the Jon-E and his Mentor who helped with the building.

By the way, Jon is in 2nd place for the season!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 04:51 PM
Billings MT
Joined Jan 2002
65 Posts
Chip and Son

Here is a picture of Chip and Son,
I think this was a solo flight.
Bob
Old May 08, 2012, 04:59 PM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Here is a picture of Chip and Son,
I think this was a solo flight.
Bob
Thanks Bob!

The wife and kids like the picture also I think you are right, this was his solo flight.

Poor guy got frustrated later when the wind picked up, he got blown away (the plane, LOL!) After the storm cloud passed, the sun came out and the wind settled down, and he became happier, didn't have to fight the plane as much.

Thanks,
Chip
Old May 09, 2012, 08:18 AM
Billings MT
Joined Jan 2002
65 Posts
Chip
i can send the big file to email add
bobb