Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:56 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,318 Posts
The seasons first contest is quickly approaching!

Hope to see everyone there on March 31st, 2012.

I hear there are a bunch of new ALES specific planes afoot. I'm still flying the same old junk!

More details of every Montana ALES contest can be found at http://tailwindgliders.com/ALES.html

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:15 AM
soaring guy
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2009
130 Posts
Curtis,

I almost wish I still lived on a farm in Whitehall, which I did in 1948/49. It sounds to me like the contests you a running are fun contest. I am now a desert rat and love it and the CASL group is working on getting the same type of contests going. We have had three contests and others scheduled to the rest of the year. I am a contestant rather than a competitor.

I should define my definition between a contestant and a competitor. As a contestant I will show up at a contest, pay the entree fee and get ready to compete. If the weather turns bad and I don't want to risk one of my woody's I will just sit it out. I have not come to a contest to win, but to talk to the other contestants and see what other contestants are flying, and how they perform. I have been eaten by some great pilots flying stock Radians, so be it. They are good.

As a competitor I would come to a contest with the intent to win. Why wouldn't you? You would have the latest and greatest plane, power system and etc.

I was a competitor in free flight many years ago I flew four gas events 1/2A through class C gas and A/2 glider. It was a busy day on a one day contest. I won some hardware, all of which was donated to the Cub and Boy Scouts for their programs. It was work, all the time during contests and getting ready for the next contest. Plus keeping the three motorcycles I had for me and two sons in good running order. Would I do it again, sure, but I am a little more laid back now.

The discussions on the ALES forums re LSF and the question re zooming kinda leave me cold. Who cares, just go out and fly in three or more ALES events, and if you don't like it just go dork your TD plane and have fun, it's the name of the game.

Dee
dwood75 is offline Find More Posts by dwood75
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:48 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,318 Posts
Dee,
You've hit the nail on the head! Competitor vs Contestant. The ALES format of flying is awesome in many regards. I am really enjoying the simplicity of setting up and running a contest as well as the Man-on-Man format. In addition to folks with very limited soaring experience and/or contest experience having a great time. It's evident by the smiles after the rounds!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:40 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,318 Posts
The weather forecast is looking like we may have a nice day to fly a contest!

If we have to cancel please check the website as I'll post something there by 8:30am.

Montana ALES News
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post21095663

The contest is scheduled for a pilots meeting at 10am. That means you should have your plane together and ready to fly. Test flights prior to 10am are encouraged.

Note: This year we'll be charging $5 for anyone who has reached their 18th Birthday to pay the field rental fees to our gracious host.

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask or call.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Curtis Suter; Mar 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:12 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
The weather forecast is looking like we may have a nice day to fly a contest!

If we have to cancel please check the website as I'll post something there by 8:30am.

Montana ALES News
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post21095663

The contest is scheduled for a pilots meeting at 10am. That means you should have your plane together and ready to fly. Test flights prior to 10am are encouraged.

Note: This year we'll be charging $5 for anyone who has not reached their 18th Birthday to pay the field rental fees to our gracious host.

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask or call.

Curtis
Hey Curtis,

Hopefully you mean you will charging $5 for those who HAVE reached their 18th birthday, otherwise only Jon will be paying, hehe! Maybe we can get Jon to pay for all of us, HAHA! Just Kidding...

Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:23 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9mustang View Post
Hey Curtis,

Hopefully you mean you will charging $5 for those who HAVE reached their 18th birthday, otherwise only Jon will be paying, hehe! Maybe we can get Jon to pay for all of us, HAHA! Just Kidding...

Chip
Thanks Chip! See that's what happens when I get home from Denver at 1am!

I guess I'll have to fix that, but that's a good idea about having Jon pay! ha ha

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
534 Posts
Yuppers!

Curtis,
Thanks for the reminder. I have every intention of being there. Will try to have my Oracle with me, but as you know, no guarantees at this point. I will for sure have my Radian if the Oracle is not ready.
Blessings,
Arlen
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:35 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise MT View Post
Curtis,
Thanks for the reminder. I have every intention of being there. Will try to have my Oracle with me, but as you know, no guarantees at this point. I will for sure have my Radian if the Oracle is not ready.
Blessings,
Arlen
Arlen,

If you get the Oracle so that the wings are joined even though you may not be able to fly her in the competition then at least afterwards we should be able to get some test flights in. I'd really like to be there for those!

Life worked out great. I was there for your build and at 7:30pm last night I went to Denver. I'm dead beat tired now but at least I was there for the building session. I learned a few techniques from my friends too!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Feb 2010
534 Posts
Looking Up

Curtis, Chip, Jim, Joe, George,

Well kind sirs, since the last time you all saw my Oracle 93, I've hooked up the rudder and elevator controls, both wing tips are now joined and lined up with newly expoxied guide pins. I've replaced the flap and aileron control rods with something 'beefier,' installed the receiver, ESC, and battery, and ordered a new folding prop spinner. (And all of that was accomplished on my mom's kitchen counter!!!) All I can see that needs to be finished is a cosmetic paint job to the fiberglass fuse. I'm thinking it would be appreciated if I not do that in the kitchen Lord willing, I'll have it along with me this coming Saturday. I have yet to fully assemble it for weighing purposes, and even if I did, I don't have a decent scale to weigh it with. Perhaps our digital bathroom scale would suffice?
Blessings,

Arlen
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:06 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,318 Posts
Arlen,

Very nice!
Are the elevator and rudder pushrods secure? I recall seeing a small support in the fuse just behind the servos. I would are fully move the elevator and rudder and see if there is any flexing. If there is see where the flex is and it will have to be supported/ secured.

Hope that is clear.

Chip, Joe, Jon and I had a nice day flying gliders. We are ready for the contest Saturday.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:39 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,521 Posts
Hey Curtis, looks like another trip in September to big sky country. Second or third week, and might have a Sunday to fly. More to come, like to see you guys fly!

Marc
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:16 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
Hey Curtis, looks like another trip in September to big sky country. Second or third week, and might have a Sunday to fly. More to come, like to see you guys fly!

Marc
Wonderful, look forward to it! But if you do get to see us fly you'll get to as well. You might just find you like the Montana thermals!

Oh, tell your wife that Peaches has three qualifying runs in Agility and one in Rally!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:18 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,318 Posts
I purchased a GPS datalogger and put into the eSupra yesterday.

This is just a short photo and Google Earth file where I was coming home to land, it starts at the red circle which I added, that's the downwind leg, as I was just about to turn base I hit some lift down low and I couldn't waste the opportunity and had to make some turns. I dumped out of it once I knew I was cored in the thermal. Cool!

Chip had a great day flying too. Jon and Jim where there as well as Joe with an interesting but safe launch.

We're getting tuned up for Saturday!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Feb 2010
534 Posts
Yuppers

Quote from Curtis: "Are the elevator and rudder pushrods secure? I recall seeing a small support in the fuse just behind the servos. I would are fully move the elevator and rudder and see if there is any flexing. If there is see where the flex is and it will have to be supported/ secured. Hope that is clear."

Curtis,
Yes indeed I did find some flex in both the elevator and rudder pushrods. I secured both of the wire cable housings to the fuse right behind the servos, and they're now good to go. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure there will be other things I'll neglect to notice, hopefully not ending up in the destruction of the Oracle

On a different note, I got the fuse blemishes filled/covered with Bondo yesterday, and nearly asphyxiated myself in my mom's kitchen in the process. That Bondo has some very toxic fumes! The doors were then thrown opened wide to clear the house, and I guess I succeeded in airing it out, because neither my wife nor mom detected anything when they got home I plan on sanding it out today and then putting on a few primer coats. I've decided to paint the fuse a bright yellow. With my ever failing eyesight, I've learned that yellow is much more visible to me, plus it will "match" the existing colors well.
Blessings,

Arlen
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:15 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,318 Posts
Arlen,

Yea, ole Bondo is smelly. I do mine in the garage. Yellow is fine just make sure that during the heat of the summer you throw a white towel over the canopy area or pop the hatch off as it can get quite hot inside. Yellow isn't as bad as black but not as good as white. Mine is partly red.

That'll look great with the wings!

Oh, I suggest not painting in that nice kitchen! Ha ha

Curtis
RCG Plus Member