HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:33 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,679 Posts
Hi tonkajeep34,

I was lucky to be beta testing this frame.
I 've attached it with screws, actually I've used even smaller ones than I wanted to. M3x6 (I believe) Slightly bigger would be better.
I'm using the FC2822 motors and the screws that hold the motor in place go all the way throw the wood and into the plastic of the hinge.
So it becomes a really solid block.

Due to some issue with my MWC controller the Tri fell sometimes and I never had a problem.
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:15 PM
NTX Helidillos
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Sep 2009
1,650 Posts
Thanks IceWind.... Looks like a nice solid piece.

I'm still torn and trying to decide to wait and see if he's going to come out with a 1/2" version or get this one...
tonkajeep34 is offline Find More Posts by tonkajeep34
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:20 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkajeep34 View Post
Thanks IceWind.... Looks like a nice solid piece.

I'm still torn and trying to decide to wait and see if he's going to come out with a 1/2" version or get this one...
I wish I could say yes to that, but I don't think it would be soon if I do.

I think you would be quite pleased with how strong the glass fiber and wood are. What is your concern about using 10mm?
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:31 PM
NTX Helidillos
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Sep 2009
1,650 Posts
Mainly i have a bunch of 1/2" wood stock sitting at house to build another tri with. I was going to build another 40" m2m for FPV but you've got me rethinking that. Plus the LHS carries every size of basswood EXCEPT 5/16".

I'm going to run over there at lunch and see if he can order CF tubes or Slowstick booms

I may go ahead and get your frame and move the electronics over from this one:

tonkajeep34 is offline Find More Posts by tonkajeep34
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:36 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Oh, cool, that would work great. Cool little machine.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:43 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,679 Posts
It's a shame that 10x10x1mm aluminium tubes are hard to find in the US.
I can't find better comprimise between light weight and strong material.

I used it first as a replacement for my SS when I was learning, it crashed countless times, some breaking all parts... and the tube always intact.
Needless to say the original GWS tube got broken in 4 places.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:22 PM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Mar 2011
54 Posts
Got mine today (amazingly fast shipping) and I will be doing all the construction except for the booms this evening. Is there a prescribed method for attaching the servo/linkage on the tail boom, or is it just a figure-it-out-yourself deal? I don't mind coming up with something, but if someone else has an elegant solution to this problem I'd hate to have to re-engineer it for nothing.
themicahmachine is offline Find More Posts by themicahmachine
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:41 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by themicahmachine View Post
Got mine today (amazingly fast shipping) and I will be doing all the construction except for the booms this evening. Is there a prescribed method for attaching the servo/linkage on the tail boom, or is it just a figure-it-out-yourself deal? I don't mind coming up with something, but if someone else has an elegant solution to this problem I'd hate to have to re-engineer it for nothing.
Wow, you did get that fast -- gotta love USPS Priority Mail -- super fast.

I will post up some photos of the linkage. It is not complex.

Use a metal gear servo for sure. The HK 939MG is perfect as is anything that is similar in size.
Last edited by Qrome; Jun 13, 2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:48 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,679 Posts
servo/linkage?
The servo has a proper holder for it, in my photo above it is still missing has I hadn't finished that part at the time.

Notice them on this photo.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:54 PM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
Joined Mar 2011
54 Posts
Neat... very simple. The rest of the build looks pretty self-explanatory.

It looks like you used CA to glue it up... do you think the super gold plus (thick) I have laying around will suffice? I can use epoxy or wood glue if CA wont be strong enough. My woodworking experience keeps screaming "CA for wood joints? Are you crazy???" but it seems to work fine on other models I've built.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:02 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
The build is not that complex... here are a few things to note.

Build the main body but don't put the top halo part on until you have drilled and test fit all the arms and the flight control board -- it just makes it easier to work with.

1. Cut all 3 arms the same length (that is up to you).
2. Finish all the motor mounts before you set the arms.
3. Put the tail boom in first and slide it all the way through the back up into the nose section (where there are some holes).
4. Slide the side arms in until they hit the tail arm.
5. Slide all 3 motor mounts on (including the tail)
6. Measure the distance from the center of the motor mount to the center of the frame on one of the side arms and note the length.
7. Slide the tail arm in or out (with the tail motor mount on it) to the exact same length as the side arms. You want the distance from each motor to the center of the frame to be exact (unless you are doing something exotic).

Once you have the position of the tail motor mount, mark it on the frame and drill some of the mounting screw holes through the frame holes into the booms.

Once you have all the holes drilled and test fit (including the flight control board), it is a good time to remove everything and paint it -- if you are into that.

Then it is just a matter of assembly.

Another good idea is to use CA to harden the screw holes in the wood after you have test fit them. This will create a nice strong threaded screw hole in the frame for you.
Last edited by Qrome; Jun 13, 2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:05 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Quote:
Neat... very simple. The rest of the build looks pretty self-explanatory.

It looks like you used CA to glue it up... do you think the super gold plus (thick) I have laying around will suffice? I can use epoxy or wood glue if CA wont be strong enough. My woodworking experience keeps screaming "CA for wood joints? Are you crazy???" but it seems to work fine on other models I've built.
Actually, I use a medium type CA. I get it in the 4 packs from Walmart -- tubes of it for 99 cents for a 4 pack. Use a rubber mallet, or rubber handled screw driver to snug up the parts (they will be tight). Close all the gaps. CA is wicked into the joins and prevents them from coming apart. Lots of the strength of this kit is the inter locking parts. CA just keeps them from coming out.

I know others have used wood glue and what not, but dripping the CA where the wood touched and on the joints seems to work perfect.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:21 PM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
Joined Mar 2011
54 Posts
Nice... I used to design plywood furniture frames and this kit reminds me a lot of the CNC tongue and groove frames we used to make.

I can't wait to get started building... hopefully I'll be able to post some photos tomorrow.

I saw these sold out pretty quickly... how many kits were in the first batch?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:40 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Quote:
Nice... I used to design plywood furniture frames and this kit reminds me a lot of the CNC tongue and groove frames we used to make.

I can't wait to get started building... hopefully I'll be able to post some photos tomorrow.

I saw these sold out pretty quickly... how many kits were in the first batch?
Yeah, they are fun to build -- the electronics usually takes the longest with all the soldering and stuff -- the frame is the fun part.

I only had 5 and they sold fast. I have more coming very soon -- I hope this week.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:03 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,679 Posts
I'm a "lazy" builder and I assembled all the wood parts in like 15min in one morning.
One tip I'll leave here and you can see it on the photos above is to slightly trimm/round the inside corners of the side parts on the tail block to help insert the top woord part.
Doesn't make any sense what I just said no?!?

Check the photo
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4079042

For the ones used to build wood kits this will be immediately noticed.