HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:15 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,846 Posts
New Product
BlueSkyRC FPV Tricopter

Just wanted to share that we now have the Laser-cut plywood Tricopter frames in stock. I (and others) have been beta testing the frame for the last couple of months and I am very pleased.

The kit includes all the plywood parts and the nylon hinge and retainers. It is designed for the Square 10mm booms (GWS Slow Stick size). I have been using the aluminum filled with bass wood. Others are finding great solid results with the fiber glass with bass wood inserts.

I have been flying the Tricopter in sport light aerobatic mode for quite some time and within the recent weeks have mounted my FPV gear and have had a awesome time with it.

The kits can be had from BlueSkyRC.com

http://www.blueskyrc.com/index.php?m...products_id=16

MWC Tricopter MultiWiiCopter (2 min 38 sec)

Tricopter FPV with GoPro Hero HD Gilbert (4 min 11 sec)

FPV Tricopter on the 4th of July in Gilbert (4 min 21 sec)

FPV Tricopter with Air to Air (3 min 15 sec)

Here are some videos from Warthox... Thanks Warthox!

mwc tri - tricopter frame (2 min 29 sec)

mwc tri - tricopter frame [2] (2 min 58 sec)
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Last edited by Qrome; Jul 29, 2011 at 12:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:18 AM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,722 Posts
Very cool,
Have you tried it in "Y6"..
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:04 AM
NTX Helidillos
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
Looks like a nice kit... do you find the counter rotating prop helps much with the tri?
tonkajeep34 is online now Find More Posts by tonkajeep34
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dipped Taranis - Take 2
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:19 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Oct 2010
186 Posts
I like the fact that it comes with a halo that protects the controller. I think it would be better if you made the tricopter foldable though as it is one of the biggest advantages of the y-shaped platforms.
arch001 is offline Find More Posts by arch001
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:28 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-unit View Post
Very cool,
Have you tried it in "Y6"..
I have not tried the Y6 yet, but I really want to.

You can get the Y6 motor mounts for this kit from here:

http://www.blueskyrc.com/index.php?m...products_id=17
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:30 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkajeep34 View Post
Looks like a nice kit... do you find the counter rotating prop helps much with the tri?
I really love the Tricopter -- for both sport aerobatic flight and FPV. The front left is counter rotating and the right and back are normal. This requires that you have a little tilt to the right on the tail motor when you trim it out.

Yaw is smooth. In fact I can do a hovering yaw rotation and keep it very smooth.... a little better than my Quad.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:32 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch001 View Post
I like the fact that it comes with a halo that protects the controller. I think it would be better if you made the tricopter foldable though as it is one of the biggest advantages of the y-shaped platforms.
Yeah, the kit could easily be modified to do this. You could easily add a type of hinge screw to the front arms that would allow them to fold back. This is wood and super easy to work with. It is light and strong as well.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:57 AM
NTX Helidillos
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Sep 2009
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrome View Post
I really love the Tricopter -- for both sport aerobatic flight and FPV. The front left is counter rotating and the right and back are normal. This requires that you have a little tilt to the right on the tail motor when you trim it out.

Yaw is smooth. In fact I can do a hovering yaw rotation and keep it very smooth.... a little better than my Quad.
Both of my tris are using normal props all around, wasn't sure if it was worth it for the tri, but i have some props on the way for the quad so I can try it.

how are you attaching the hinge to the wood parts? glue or did you bolt/screw it?

Mike
tonkajeep34 is online now Find More Posts by tonkajeep34
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dipped Taranis - Take 2
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:06 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkajeep34 View Post
Both of my tris are using normal props all around, wasn't sure if it was worth it for the tri, but i have some props on the way for the quad so I can try it.

how are you attaching the hinge to the wood parts? glue or did you bolt/screw it?

Mike
You can bolt or screw it. Working with the wood is really great. Drill out the laser holes near the size of your screw then thread your screw in it.... remove the screw then CA harden the new threads in the wood.

You can also drill into the nylon hing and mount through the motor base into the nylon and tap into the nylon. It works great. We have 3 of them flying right now. 2 hear in AZ, and in Ireland. The hinge is super strong... as always with the Tricopter, the metal gear servo may take a beating on tumbles and really hard landings, but the mount has been better than I expected and I am very pleased with it.

Using the counter rotating props on the Tricopter is totally worth it. it reduces the amount you have to adjust the back motor. Also you probably have to fight yaw when you gun up the motor. You should try the counter rotating prop on one of the front motors -- I like them to rotate in toward the center of the craft.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:19 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Throw in just one Y6 motor mount in the kit and you can sell them as a Tripcopter/Y4 multi rotor.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Jun 10, 2011, 03:22 PM
Fournier RF4D N1771 Awesome!
Riverside, CA
Joined Nov 2004
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrome View Post
Using the counter rotating props on the Tricopter is totally worth it. it reduces the amount you have to adjust the back motor. Also you probably have to fight yaw when you gun up the motor. You should try the counter rotating prop on one of the front motors -- I like them to rotate in toward the center of the craft.
Just some theory to consider During fast forward flight with counter cotating front props:

A) If the Left arm prop is turning clockwise
and the Right arm prop is turning Counter clockwise
You will be generating maximum extra lift at the outboard ends of the props,
which should help stability.

B) If Left is CCW
and Right is CW
The maximum prop lift will be generated at the inboard ends of the prop which is less stable than the A configuration but more maneuverable

I would be interested to know if it is a noticeable difference in flight for a Tri in case anyone tries this out.

This is the Advancing/Retreating blade theory from Helicopter flying and is what causes single rotor Helis to start rolling towards the side of the retreating blade in fast forward flight, and also what limits the top speed of full size Helis.

Tri's with counter rotating props don't have that speed limitation

We need some full size Tri's

Ray
jb92563 is offline Find More Posts by jb92563
Old Jun 10, 2011, 07:03 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2007
82 Posts
Using a Y4 configuration is reasonable yaw possible without the motor tilting mechanism?
AlGerbens is offline Find More Posts by AlGerbens
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:23 AM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Mar 2011
54 Posts
I ordered a tricopter frame last night. How dependent on the tubing size is the design? 10mm = .39 inches, so would a .375" square tube work, or would the .015" difference cause problems?

How quickly can you typically ship?
themicahmachine is offline Find More Posts by themicahmachine
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:11 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by themicahmachine View Post
I ordered a tricopter frame last night. How dependent on the tubing size is the design? 10mm = .39 inches, so would a .375" square tube work, or would the .015" difference cause problems?

How quickly can you typically ship?
10mm fits perfect and would be the best option and the boom slots help ensure a snug straight fit. It would be possible to wrap the booms with tape or something that would cause them to fit snug then set screw or bolt them in the frame. I know some have even used epoxy.

As for shipping, they normally go out same day or within 24 hours. Yours is boxed and shipping paid for and labeled. Going out this morning.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:58 PM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Mar 2011
54 Posts
Flippin' sweet. I went ahead and got the LHS to order me some 10mm aluminum slow stick booms, and they'll be here Wednesday. With a little luck I'll have it in the air next weekend.

I would be happy to post some video and a short review if you like.
themicahmachine is offline Find More Posts by themicahmachine