HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2011, 07:05 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,898 Posts
One thought is to not run the spar all the way out to the tips and even taper the spar out on the ends. Then you can bring the two wing sides together to glue them together etc.
Like on these two planes here with rounded wingtips.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Aug 04, 2011 at 06:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:29 PM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
217 Posts
I stand the wing on end on a blank sheet of paper and trace the outline of the wing end. I then free-hand a trace inside this trace that is smaller by the thickness of the wing Coroplast. I then cut out the trace and cut it out of 2MM Coroplast. I glue it into the inside of the wing end using silicone automotive adhesive sealant after roughing up the inside surface with sandpaper. I have done it on 2 planes, but most of my planes are open at the ends. I run the flutes vertical.
villapilote is offline Find More Posts by villapilote
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:32 PM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
217 Posts
I stand the wing on end on a blank sheet of paper and trace the outline of the wing end. I then free-hand a trace inside this trace that is smaller by the thickness of the wing Coroplast. I then cut out the trace and cut it out of 2MM Coroplast. I glue it into the inside of the wing end using silicone automotive adhesive sealant after roughing up the inside surface with sandpaper. I have done it on 2 planes, but most of my planes are open at the ends. I run the flutes in the Coroplast vertical.
villapilote is offline Find More Posts by villapilote
Old Oct 01, 2011, 05:20 PM
Suspended Account
UK, Buckinghamshire, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
for flat wings kf foil type run a bbq wood skewer from front to back for each layer a couple mm in from the outside edge if that makes sence? makes tips stronger too
n3m1s1s is offline Find More Posts by n3m1s1s
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:22 PM
jib
Chief Mechanic for my son
Covington, WA
Joined Oct 2008
377 Posts
I agree with Ernie about keeping it simple too, but the easy way to plug it is with a thin piece of foam.
jib is offline Find More Posts by jib
Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:02 PM
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
I set my wing on a scrap piece of coro and traced the shape. I cut that peice loose. Then I marked what looked like 4mm inside the line. I cut that out and had to trim just a little but got it fit inside the wing and used thick C.A. to hold it in place.

I doubt it made any difference but I am anal.
burlesontom is offline Find More Posts by burlesontom