Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 10, 2011, 05:00 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,562 Posts
Discussion
Rollason Beta quick-build

Following the crash of my Ivan Pettigrew’s Shoestring (caused either by faulty soldering on a battery terminal or perhaps an early failure of the 2.4 gHz module on my TX) I cast around for another single-engined racing plane with which I could practice my rather ordinary flying skills. In the Argus publication “Famous Racing and Aerobatic Planes” there are, among much exalted company, the Rollason Beta drawings by AAP Lloyd. I sketched them out to about the same wingspan as the Shoestring, using Ivan’s plan as the background.

I have made a number of slight modifications to the Ivan formula, but have kept the rigging angles, relative size and location of the flying surfaces and identical hardware, motor, prop etc. The Beta is a low-wing plane, but has some dihedral on the outer panels: a sort of speedy Jodel Bebe. I’ve squared off all the fuselage contours but if you half-close your eyes when the plane is a few metres away and flying across the light, it will look pretty much like the original. My aim, as with all my models, is to end up with a plane that can fly in a scale manner with a small reserve of power, not a ballistic missile.

For anyone who wants to build a similar model, there are many opportunities for enhancement, a number of attractive colour schemes and even a completely different undercarriage arrangement, but this brings me to the crux of the matter. I have only 14 days to build and test fly the model before leaving for the BIMBO meeting at Naseby on the 24th June, so this build log will be limited to essentials only after this short introduction. A complication is that my Multipex TX 2.4 gHz module has developed an intermittent fault where the “power on” slider does not activate the transmitting bit, despite all the other bells and whistles firing up. The TX was 2nd hand and the module, although a Spektrum product, is bundled with so many unnecessary extras it costs more than a decent TX. Time to go into overdraft.

Enough wittering. I've cut the ribs, and will start building later today
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Jun 10, 2011 at 05:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:01 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,562 Posts
Here we go then. The wing spar is 2mm balsa edged with 3x3 spruce, all spliced together to the correct dihedral angles The ribs are also 2mm (a mistake - they should have been 1.5) and the sheeting, TE and cap strips are 1.5 sheet. I hate using shaped TE stock and much prefer the "sheet top and bottom" method.

The CS will now be blocked up and the port tip section built on, then the whole thing blocked the other way for the port tip. Everything will be built level at this stage, and some washout built in when the upper sheeting is glued in place.

Edit: Two port tips eh? I guess I meant "starboard." And I'm supposed to be sailing this evening: "Port!" "PORT!!" "Oh all right - starboard then"
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Jun 11, 2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 04:17 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,562 Posts
First, thanks to Tim (35MHz) for taking my hint about "Blue Chip" and producing the artwork for the lettering, badges and racing numbers, in record time. He did the markings for the Shoestring, so they will be equally as good.

I've read comments (and also shared the view) that the ailerons on Ivan's designs are quite tricky to make, but very effective in flight. This time I've laid down a foundation of 1.5 x 4 strip in addition to the capstrips, so that the 3 x 3 balsa sub-spars have something to be glued to. When it comes to cutting the ailerons free of the wings, they will already be a proper structure, needing only the 1.5 sheet facings to complete.
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Jun 12, 2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:43 AM
Complete the Illusion!
UK South Coast
Joined Oct 2003
289 Posts
Don't always expect this level of service, just that 8 hours of continuous rain has kept me inside!!
35Mhz is offline Find More Posts by 35Mhz
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:04 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,320 Posts
A very nice subject Mike. (Great service on those markings, too!) I'm looking forward to seeing your rapid progress!
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:30 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,562 Posts
The wing lower 2/3rds is complete and off the board.

Tim has found some excellent pictures of "Blue Chip" and it just shows that when you think you've found all the scale details you need, there are always some more lurking around the corner. Not that this is going to be a rivet-scale model, but every little scoop and marking helps the illusion.

Do you see how easily this could be made into a semi-scale Hurricane?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:58 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,320 Posts
There's those socks again. Any holes?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 08:39 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,562 Posts
Hi Frank,

I notice that the feet have more views than the wing. Perhaps there's a market for semi-scale feet, or a concours event at Chilliwack nexy year?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 02:58 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky View Post
There's those socks again. Any holes?
Actually, one of them has a hole. My modeling knife rolled off the table and it speared my foot on its way to the floor...but they are not the same socks Frank - the Chilliwack ones in Beverly's sock photo were Canadian Bacon pattern.

No photos tonight, but the wing is 75% built, top sheeted and washout locked in. The tail surfaces are rough-built.

Tim brought round the artwork, which looks really good and will absolutely make the model. Looking at the photos of the real thing, I see that the wing is dark blue top and bottom ( I had assumed the top surface would be white, don't know why) and the colour really is dark. I may have to change my Solarfilm, which is merely blue.

A day off tomorrow, including some actual flying I hope, the forecast is for light winds.

As an aside, I usually need some music to build by (The Bach 48 for cutting out ribs, for example) but this evening it's been Weather Report: good head-nodding stuff. What does everybody else use? Or is perfect silence best?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 03:37 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,320 Posts
I'm a sound of silence kind of guy myself, although I usually have CBC radio (equivalent to BBC 1) on for the latest news and some in depth, thoughtful reporting on various Canadian and international topics.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:41 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,716 Posts
For building? I like Metallica, and a bit of blues thrown in, with maybe a little Hendrix. Although it has been known to lead to a little Jack Daniels instead of building, a good evening is assured either way

Owl
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:48 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,320 Posts
Oh my God, that would make me smash everything into tiny little bits and cause me to run screaming from the workshop!

Variety is the spice of life. It's a good thing we are all different and approach things in different ways.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:00 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,562 Posts
After a somewhat traumatic day (some other time, eh?) I've finished the wings and tail surfaces ready to cover apart from 30 minutes with a sanding block. The fuselage is simplicity itself and should go together fairly quickly.

The flat sides are not quite scale, but after the Mustang I need something easier.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:32 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky View Post
Oh my God, that would make me smash everything into tiny little bits and cause me to run screaming from the workshop!
You too eh.
I see that RCGroups has changed the way the pictures are viewed.
Looking good Mike
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Jun 15, 2011, 01:23 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell View Post
You too eh.
I see that RCGroups has changed the way the pictures are viewed.
Looking good Mike
I just noticed this Rick, it's really a great improvement!
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Jun 15, 2011 at 11:03 AM.