HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:34 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Help!
Grumman tracker kits or plans

I was given a set of plans today for a control line Grumman Tracker, wingspan 64". the detail is pretty good, is resonably scale looking, but has a typical control line wing airfoil, actually looks like a wing from newer 3D stuff.
Plans done in 1977.
Does anyone know of plans or better, a short kit for a Tracker about the same size, I have enough bigger planes now! I would build it as one of the 100 units the Canadian government had Dehavilland build thru Grumman licence starting in 1954 for our Navy and ground stationed ASW units of the time.
Thanks in advance for any info forwarded. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:31 AM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,646 Posts
Cool..I love the Stuf...There was a guy doing a big one here on the groups but I havent seen much on that one in a year or so..I would love to have a copy of the plans if you could scan them....I will pay
Scott
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:54 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,472 Posts
A great project Doug! I don't know of any other plans, but if you need some close up photos of anything, there is one sitting at the air park just down the road from me on display.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:59 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky View Post
A great project Doug! I don't know of any other plans, but if you need some close up photos of anything, there is one sitting at the air park just down the road from me on display.
Hi von: So far I have a few pictures, I'd really like to find a 3 view to check my drawings against. I have not found any pictures with a straight on sideways shot to check marking locations.
If I go ahead, and probably will, I'll need to redraw about half the plan, this thing was designed for twin 35-45 2Stroke, and built along the lines of a Sherman tank!! Designer claims 4 1/2 lbs, it looks like the tail would weigh close to that as drawn. It calls for 2- 1/4 x 1/2 harwood spars full length of wing and 2 - 1/2 length spars (almost a pound there). I think it would weigh 9-10 lbs as drawn, without power! obviously built to handle the rigors of control line. 1/4" ply all over the place! I want to build to fly, not crash!hehe.
I'll keep looking, I can use these plans ( heavily modified) but would be so much simpler to find a more up to date plan designed for RC.
I would like to fly this on 3S, like my 84" Twin Otter at 8lbs 6ozs RTF. Doug B
Old Jun 10, 2011, 03:09 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
Cool..I love the Stuf...There was a guy doing a big one here on the groups but I havent seen much on that one in a year or so..I would love to have a copy of the plans if you could scan them....I will pay
Scott
Until I went to Downsview last summer ( where the Cdn Grumman Tracker where built) I had no idea that our forces ever used the Tracker.
They flew these magnificent ASW's from '54 to 84' with the last plane leaving the forces in 1990.
I considered myself an aviation enthusiast, and had never known about this plane.
I now have the bug to build one of these "big time". Its a direct link to Dehavilland, a full Canadian service plane specific to Cdn military use. I was running out of DH planes of interest to me.
The plans I have, show an extremely heavy build, but i believe i can redraw for RC Electric. i also like the physical scale of the plane at 64" wingspan. Should be relatively easy to power with a 3S system, likely the same as in my 84" twin otter. Doug B
Old Jun 10, 2011, 03:14 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
Scott
I recieved the plans as a copy from a fellow flyer, he has a cd, he hadn't checked it to see if it actually was the plan files. I have no way of scanning, but he may be able to help us. I'll check it out and get back to you. Doug B
Old Jun 10, 2011, 07:50 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,646 Posts
Cool thanks.. I have read a book about them..still have it someware.I was looking at a full size to buy about 20years ago when they were dumped from storage
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:49 PM
Surrey B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 2000
241 Posts
This might help http://carstensbookstore.com/grstr.html
David Pentland is offline Find More Posts by David Pentland
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:07 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
They flew these magnificent ASW's from '54 to 84' with the last plane leaving the forces in 1990.
We flew them later than 1984. When I worked at CFB Greenwood, Nova Scotia, they routinely came by for approaches from CFB Summerside PEI. It was always neat listening to those two radials. The Trackers were removed from service in 1990, and After CFB Summerside closed in 1991, 413 Search & Rescue moved to Greenwood (dumping the Buffalos and getting Hercs instead). Now the Buffalos are here in Comox and I get to play with them almost every day.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:12 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
United States, GA, Brooks
Joined Mar 2005
878 Posts
I remeber hearing them fly out of Uplands. 10,000 parts in tight formation.
mrdj is offline Find More Posts by mrdj
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:16 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
United States, GA, Brooks
Joined Mar 2005
878 Posts
There is also a rubber powered set of plans out there. I''ll check my library next weekend.

Another place to look for Trackers is Borden. I remember seeing a couple of rows of them in the early 90's, including a RCN colour scheme. Borden has lots of old airframes for the school.
mrdj is offline Find More Posts by mrdj
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:39 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Thanks for the info fellas: There is one in Downsview, so a 2-3 hr drive may get me more pics. I did mention the last Trackers went out of service in '90.
Maybe the reference I had was talking about tracker used aboard ships.
Von: are you telling me they still fly Buffalo's out of Comox for Search and rescue -how cool is that.
I don't want to go stupid overboard scale and do want to keep the size down to something a little easier to handle. I love flying the 7-8 ft wingspan planes, notice I said flying, not building, transporting, storing!! hehe. The current plan is 64", not a bad size for what i have in mind. A fellow flyer told me today that he has a 3 view in his files and will dig them out to help with the plan comparison. The plane done up in NAVY (Cdn) Hms Bonaventure scheme will be a very good addition to the DH fleet. Doug B
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:45 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pentland View Post
Hi David, this IS the plan I have in my hands now, for control line! It doesn't look bad at all, profile wise, built to take a beating for sure.
An extensive redesign would make this a good candidate for RC. I also have some concern about the wing airfoil, a fellow flyer said he can use Profili to make a suitable wing shape (even match the Trackers real wing), so some hurdles are or can be fixed. thanks for the post. Doug B
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:54 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jul 2007
155 Posts
Wing Profile

Doug,
I to have the Carsten Plan and am looking at two 52 four strokes for power. What are your concerns with the wing? Understand the desire to build lighter, just not sure why the wing isn't suitable for R\C, as they both fly on the same principle. Carl Bachhuber over your way built a large Tracker, regrettably he didn't do a plan. Tracker is on my list, I am slowly geeting the informatio together to draw one and build. I worked on the S2E & S2G in the Royal Australian Navy.

Cheers

Trackerman
Trackerman is offline Find More Posts by Trackerman
Old Jun 14, 2011, 01:37 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Hi Trackerman: The wing is designed for acrobatic control line on the plans. It is a full semitric wing as near as I can tell. It might work fine, but is nowhere near looking scale, I want to change it to a more scale like wing with high lift ratio. i want this to fly slow or quick, but not a rocket. the tracker was NO Spitfire!!
Typical of builds from this period, and maybe of control line planes in particular, grossly overbuilt for flying by todays standards. Built for crashing-hehe! The cruelest joke on the plans is the advertised weight of 4 1/2lbs, a figure I don't see as even approachable the way it drawn! A pair of 45's alone weigh 2lbs!! i think built with more modern technique,5-6lbs is doable powered with a pair of 25's! JMHO FWIW
I believe the profile looks good ,a friend is trying to blow up the 3 views to see how well the plan matches.
I am convinced the plans are a good foundation for a plane not much modelled, I'm looking forward to a great winter build. Doug B
Last edited by Doug Bartley; Jun 14, 2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: addition