SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:01 PM
RC Farmer
Joined Aug 2011
419 Posts
Nice, i can use google translate without problems. Where did you get 12.8x13 RFM prop for drivecalc ?
Farmer_Joe is online now Find More Posts by Farmer_Joe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:16 PM
Deutschland, RP, Niederzissen
Joined Dec 2011
885 Posts
I sent my 2221 custom to Andy Reisenauer for a dyno-test,i got it back with several data-sheets including 12,8x13 and 10x17.

Yello
Mreyello is online now Find More Posts by Mreyello
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:22 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2005
5,258 Posts
Great work on power trains Yello.
Andy's Micro Chief edition gearboxes are the lightest boxes in the world.
And people pushing them way over the limits.
I can cut AWU of X-Plane in half,which is about same weight as Your plane.
Your video will be my inspiration .I do like light planes.
My problem is,I am all ways putting "one more cell" in them
Yuri.
Dbox is online now Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:28 PM
silicon valley CA
Joined Mar 2004
436 Posts
What do you mean "problem?"
combatflier is offline Find More Posts by combatflier
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
885 Posts
I still have the option to add another 2 of the 1800 cells but at the moment i can not afford a new controller.
And to be honest, i am not sure if the airframe ist strong enough for this...!

With a 2221-10 it will be still below 820g including all the logger-stuff.
The target is to face the limit!

Yello
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:40 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreyello View Post
I still have the option to add another 2 of the 1800 cells but at the moment i can not afford a new controller.
And to be honest, i am not sure if the airframe ist strong enough for this...!

With a 2221-10 it will be still below 820g including all the logger-stuff.
The target is to face the limit!

Yello
I've seen some of the posts of your Flipper project and the high power/weight ratio is very impressive. How does this kind of setup behave in flight compared to a similar size, double weight model. Of course the climb rate is one thing, but I'm more curious about sinkrate, turns, stability, wind. I expect you can play catch upon landing, can't you?
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
885 Posts
I tried with the Flipper different setups based on Hacker, Mega , Kontronik and Lehner Motors with 4s 3600 up to 9s 1050, all of them ended up in arround 2,5-3Kw and 1050-1150g.
Its all about Props, in my opinion there is no hotliner prop out of the shelf for this F5d-sized planes available.
The standard f5b props with these 2,5-3kw doesnt give enough revs to get the plane on a proper (higher than 65m/s) vertical speed.
So i reduced gear ratio and shortened the props with better results,speed at the end of the climb got much higher but acceleration was worse and i was longer on power with a higher risk of overloading!

Next step was reducing weight as much as possible with the mentioned Drivetrains, with Hacker B40 5L Fai 5,2:1 and 4S 2600 i was able to reach 920g and 74m/s with good accelleration but it was not really reliable.

That was the point when i decided to go opposit way, not allways add power and weight, just try to get the same power/weight ratio on a lower level.

Some guys in germany allready had good results with the Scorpion Hk2221-6 5:1 4S in the MPX Blizzard at about 1,5 KW so i did some calculations about weight and thougt it was worth trying.
I did not expect to get this little beast on 2,5KW+, it just happened!
To be honest, i would not recommend the 5S Setup at the moment,it seems to be really on knifes edge, i did 30 flights with no major damage but i did have some issues with controllerer sync,which could have caused small fires(i was lucky,they did not!)
It only works with the YGE -Controller,and i have to adjust timing at 30 which is unusual for a 6-pole motor!!
4S seem to work fine even with good budget -controllers like Roxxy and Himodel/Sunrise.

Yes, flying is different, launching and landing is really simple like an easyglider,accelleration is excellent,climb-rate is up to 80m/s and there are still options to improve!

Compared to the "heavy" Flipper the light one seems to get almost the same speed downhill without motor but it doesnt keep the speed that long.
I hope i can show some proper datalogs soon, i added the speedsensor but did not fly it yet.
Agility it awesome,you can do crazy maneuvers
but yes it looses more speed in corners than the heavy one.

Sinkrate depends on speed, at low speed it is much better,at high speed the advantage is on the heavy planes side.
It is not really sensitive on wind and turbulences,like all f5d planes, but for shure it is in bad conditions more "nervous".

It ist actually a different kind of hotlinering,you have to get used to it but it is
definitely not less fun, i have both so i have the choice, light or heavy,but since i have the light one i havent flown the heavy very often!

The Video was the maiden flight with the 4S custom winded 2221, so i did not push too hard and the CG was too far forward, because of the heavier motor.

The standard 2221-7 at 5S performs even better but on videos you wount see a big difference, it will only reach some higher speed when its allready out of sight of the camera
Maybe the custom can handle 5S with the YGE 160 FAI and a 11x14 which probably may give 90m/s??!!

At the moment i am building a new Flipper-(extra)light, fuse and tail are ready and 35g lighter, this gives the option to reach maybe 700g with 4 flaps?

For me it is important to try something new,i am sure that most of the available F5d planes are on the same or on a higher level than the Flipper but my benefit is to built something unique.
Yuri, just try it,from what i have seen in this tread i am pretty shure you can even do it better!

Light regards

Yello
Last edited by Mreyello; Jan 20, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 02:51 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
Thanks for the interesting writeup, Yello

Have to admit I'm quite envious about having the skills and equipment to build my own models
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:11 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Joined Jun 2005
5,258 Posts
+1 on Arcteryxx post.
I like when people post real data on their power set ups,not just guessing.
I was going even to start the thread of some sort "High Performace sets-real numbers only"
Her is the last wing just pulled from molds.
It is going to.....take a guess
Yuri.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:28 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
Wow!!!! Jacko's got a new toy!!!!!
Very nice
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:21 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Joined Jun 2005
5,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Wow!!!! Jacko's got a new toy!!!!!
:
Not exactly......
Yuri.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:22 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,401 Posts
Thats wicked!

There are at least two X's headed too NZ, could be Sykotics wing
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:33 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
Yeah! Must be..... I figured this was a 50/50 game Nice wing, nevertheless!

Snow is falling heavily here now so we have to depend on those further south to make and post the next videos...
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:09 AM
200mph +
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
Woah, that paint brightness is amazing!
sykotic is offline Find More Posts by sykotic
Last edited by sykotic; Jan 22, 2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:39 AM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,259 Posts
Yuri, is that vinyl you are using on the wing? If yes how many mil is it?
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor