SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:06 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.English View Post
Yes, We are developing a new wing for my Q40 pylon racer.... Think dimples.... They work on golf balls.
Set wing outside during a hail storm Works on planes and cars!

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:53 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu View Post
shiny planes can sometimes suffer from what is known as "gloss divergence" an aerodynamic condition where the shiny airfoil surface results in a disruption of airflow resulting in a condition that results in a hole in the ground soon after launch. This well documented condition is most common when planes are brand new

experienced modelers will often avoid this by making "intentional" repairs of small dents to otherwise new planes just to avoid this phenomenon. Grey primer and 80 grit sand paper are sure cures for this condition.

Eric has been observed to take otherwise shiny f5b planes and decorate them with odd shapes of colored stick on monokote. This appears to be effective in preventing "gloss divergence" too.

Steve neu

Hahahahah
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:10 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
Yuri, how do you get that scuff tape stuff on to the bottom of the X so smoothly?

Im having no luck, my effort looks like bleep.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:20 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
Neu 2100 5S's turned up, less than a week from the US - NZ, and well packed, Impressive! They werent even expensive

Fits the X perfectly, couldnt ask for better dimensions.

40gram more than the 2200 4S hyperion, shouldnt make too much of a headache to re-tweak the CG.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:04 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,186 Posts
I haven't had a chance to try these batts yet,but they fit great and very light .

The trick to put any tape smooth on something is to use 10% soapy water spray/baby shampoo/
,then put and position tape and then use squeegee to get rid of water bubbles .
Yuri.
Dbox is online now Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:24 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,848 Posts
Hi all,

Is the "C" rating of the NEU packs a little lower?

I see 30C/40C (90C surge) on NEU packs (see 2nd pic above....the upside down pack).

45C for Hyperion.

Given the extra cell, I'm sure that a system designed around the 5S-2100 will make more power than one designed around 4S-2200.

***But for clarification purposes, given same AMP flow on both type cells: Will the Hyperion hold higher per cell voltage?

Just asking since I have not used either one.

p.s. The wires on the NEU pack look really thick...nice!

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:39 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
Hi all,

Is the "C" rating of the NEU packs a little lower?

I see 30C/40C (90C surge) on NEU packs (see 2nd pic above....the upside down pack).

45C for Hyperion.

Given the extra cell, I'm sure that a system designed around the 5S-2100 will make more power than one designed around 4S-2200.

***But for clarification purposes, given same AMP flow on both type cells: Will the Hyperion hold higher per cell voltage?

Just asking since I have not used either one.

p.s. The wires on the NEU pack look really thick...nice!

Gryphon
The truth is that "C" ratings are pretty much useless. The people selling batteries found that they could slap higher numbers on their batteries and sell more. Not unlike the ratings of computers from 10 years--the consumer had no idea was a gigahertz was but they knew "more was better".

In addition there is no standard method for battery ratings--sort of the wild west.

Our 30 and 35C packs are as good if not better than most other 45C packs. I have been flying these same batteries in my 10S F5B planes--they work great with zero problems.

Steve Neu
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Sep 22, 2011, 01:15 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,848 Posts
Thanks for the reply Steve.

By the way; my friends and I are huge fans of your 6mm bullet connectors.
They are used on the batteries all the way back to the motors.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Sep 22, 2011, 01:20 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,147 Posts
Quote:
Shiny planes can sometimes suffer from what is known as "gloss divergence" an aerodynamic condition where the shiny airfoil surface results in a disruption of airflow resulting in a condition that results in a hole in the ground soon after launch. This well documented condition is most common when planes are brand new

Experienced modelers will often avoid this by making "intentional" repairs of small dents to otherwise new planes just to avoid this phenomenon. Grey primer and 80 grit sand paper are sure cures for this condition.

Eric has been observed to take otherwise shiny F5B planes and decorate them with odd shapes of colored stick on Monokote. This appears to be effective in preventing "gloss divergence" too.

Steve Neu
Damn, that's what keeps going wrong with my Avioniks !!!!

How could i be so stupid !!!!

jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Sep 22, 2011, 01:28 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Quote:
Shiny planes can sometimes suffer from what is known as "gloss divergence" an aerodynamic condition where the shiny airfoil surface results in a disruption of airflow resulting in a condition that results in a hole in the ground soon after launch. This well documented condition is most common when planes are brand new

Experienced modelers will often avoid this by making "intentional" repairs of small dents to otherwise new planes just to avoid this phenomenon. Grey primer and 80 grit sand paper are sure cures for this condition.

Eric has been observed to take otherwise shiny F5B planes and decorate them with odd shapes of colored stick on Monokote. This appears to be effective in preventing "gloss divergence" too.

Steve Neu
And now I know why my Weasel crashed and BURNED last Sunday. I'm going to start doing some un nessesary repairs to my other too shiny planes before it's too late.
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Sep 22, 2011, 01:53 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
As long as it goes faster im happy! I wouldnt even know what sort of voltage to expect out of a 2100 pack getting a couple of hundred amps sucked out of it anyway.

Having it not explode will be a pass mark

Managed to bust the tip off my sharktooth the other day.. So my X should be safe
Old Sep 22, 2011, 03:43 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
I'm going to start doing some un nessesary repairs to my other too shiny planes before it's too late.
Now you guys know why I always buy mine "prebroken"....
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:36 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimH View Post
Now you guys know why I always buy mine "prebroken"....
Smart
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:14 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
Managed to luck out with the X's CG.

Never noticed before but my 4S pack sits bang in the middle of the CG point, so the 5S Neu pack makes absolutely no difference to the CG as its the same length.

Pretty picture I drew last week of my X's innards, may help some.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:11 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Managed to luck out with the X's CG.

Never noticed before but my 4S pack sits bang in the middle of the CG point, so the 5S Neu pack makes absolutely no difference to the CG .
Thats right.I flew mine on 5S and 4S ,same CG balance point.
Still in the middle of making 6S fuse ,no time to finish,summer,well ...fall actually,but feels like summer one more day of flying ,then another one more
day.....before it start to RAIN for 9 month .THEN I WILL BE BACK MAKING NEW
FUSE AND OTHER WINTER PROJECTS
Yuri.
Dbox is online now Find More Posts by Dbox