HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:52 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2010
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
I agree, it seems losing the "flex" wouldn't be good. But for those few that do it...there's likely a solution for that also.
If there is enough room, keeping some of the flexible ESC wires is good. If there isn't, it is recommendable to do something that prevents too much bending and twisting on the stiff motor wires as can occur when you're installing the battery etc. There isn't a millimeter to spare in my Excite if you want all the power you can fit, so I soldered the FAI18 ESC directly to the motor wires which are bent in a 180 loop and used a strip of glass to stabilize. I guess on a Castle ESC that wouldn't work because the solder pads don't stick out like they do on the FAI18 and the wires would make undesired contact. By the way I didn't have room for flexible wires underneath the ESC as in Flyextreme's example because that's where the unilog and shunt go.
Kwahn is online now Find More Posts by Kwahn
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:19 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,326 Posts
Quote:
Well, I got flights number #3 & 4 in with the X-Plane. I pretty uneventfull launches, and great flying.

One of my other planes didn't fair so well

Knowing I had to get right back on the horse, I flew the "X" once more after making a big hole in the ground with this one.

Bill
Damn you did that properly!

What happened?
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:53 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Damn you did that properly!

What happened?
Still reeling some and I'm too tired right now to go into it. It seems to be a whole list of small things that contributed to crashing the Weasel.

I think I could have saved it if the wing hadn't folded up. I was told when I was buying the Weasel, that "this wing is strong, you won't break this" Yeah right.

It would'nt be nearly so bad if at least the motor and/or esc survived...oh well.

I wish I had been able to get the burning pile on video...it was classic
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Last edited by Flyextreme; Sep 14, 2011 at 01:10 AM. Reason: clarifiation
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:01 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,326 Posts
Quote:
I think I could have saved it if the wing hadn't folded up.
YIKES!

Weather here sucks, missing the florida weather (And the US roads, and my 400hp rental car! (and the half the price of NZ petrol!) . Was planning on flying the remaining few days ive got off but we have sideways rain forecast till monday

JFK Space center is one awesome place, highlight of the holiday. Its really sad how NASA's funding has been shreded. Bought lots of souvenirs, dunno if the proceeds will be enough to fund their next "hotliner" though...
Last edited by jackosmeister; Sep 13, 2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:48 AM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Still reeling some and I'm too tired right now to go into it. It seems to be a whole list of small things that contributed.

I think I could have saved it if the wing hadn't folded up. I was told when I was buying it that "this wing is strong, you won't break this" Yeah right.

It would'nt be nearly so bad if at least the motor and/or esc survived...oh well.

I wish I had been able to get the burning pile on video...it was classic
Damn, two in a row if it makes you feel any better, my 3 meter plane died on maiden today due to a bad cell. Wat plane died before the x? Do you know the auw of the x? My wing feels as heavy as my enigma wing!
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Sep 14, 2011, 01:07 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by la528it View Post
Damn, two in a row if it makes you feel any better, my 3 meter plane died on maiden today due to a bad cell. Wat plane died before the x? Do you know the auw of the x? My wing feels as heavy as my enigma wing!
Easy there Rich, I only killed one plane (bad enough). The X is solid as a rock (et). I flew the X right after I trashed the Weasel...you know...get right back on the horse, or you may never get back on kinda thing.

I only killed the Weasel. I doubt I could ever fold the wing on the X.

I don't know the weight, but I do know Rauls Viper with the exact same set-up feels alot lighter than the X. It does have 2 less servos...but they would not make that much difference.

Sorry to hear about your 3M...and on maiden too...ouch!! Did you kill it as bad as I killed the Weasel?

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Sep 14, 2011, 01:21 AM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Easy there Rich, I only killed one plane (bad enough). The X is solid as a rock (et). I flew the X right after I trashed the Weasel...you know...get right back on the horse, or you may never get back on kinda thing.

I only killed the Weasel. I doubt I could ever fold the wing on the X.

I don't know the weight, but I do know Rauls Viper with the exact same set-up feels alot lighter than the X. It does have 2 less servos...but they would not make that much difference.

Sorry to hear about your 3M...and on maiden too...ouch!! Did you kill it as bad as I killed the Weasel?

Bill
Ahhhhhh! I thought the trashed some plane, then broke the x wing and that was pictures of the x. Yeah, weasel is all arounder, I guess the X is as well, but no matter how much abuse you give it, it keeps coming back and begging for more

Nope, 3m sustained heat related blisters to the fuse, but all else is perfect.
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:19 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,089 Posts
Yuri,

A little inspiration for Maui X plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokulele808 View Post
We could call it the "Spirit of Aloha".
That would totally rock.
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:04 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,186 Posts
I do like the idea ,but its too late ,my wing is in the oven ,bright orange,like Your avionik's tails.
Yuri.
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:56 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,089 Posts
Sounds good, and sounds functional :-) for your rocket.
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:01 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,326 Posts
Anyone using the Neu 5S packs yet?

Im having issues getting ahold of Neu, What other 5S packs fit? I think Yuri was using the 35C hyperions. What else is out there? (quality packs, Ive had way too many dud HK packs to bother gambling with em again)
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:27 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,350 Posts
GensACE 5S2200 30/60C
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:39 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,848 Posts
Are these no good?

http://thunderpowerrc.com/html/G6Pro...sBatteries.htm

Wrong shape/size?

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:42 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,326 Posts
Dont think they'll fit Gryphon, X has a tight belly, need to be just the right size.

Have you got a pic of the fit of the Gensace packs Arctery?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:27 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,350 Posts
Sure!
Tight fit, but it slips in rather nicely
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx