Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:15 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
I can't wait to see the first outrunner X,that's just Badd Azz

Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:21 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
Seeing as the cats out of the bag - what wrong with the plane (its difficuilt to see from the photos) ?
Not being a betting man,I would bet nothing.I base this opinion on what I have observed from Yuri on these forums.His attention to detail and drive to 'know' instead of rationalize makes for success.
Seems I have struck a nerve or three.No worries fellas,I'll not clown up this thread.
I'll let the X-Plane speak for itself.
Skies
Jay (having dreams of making the earth wobble on it's axis from ripping air molecules apart with his own X-Plane. 1.21 Gigawatts,DUP sawtooth prop, custom gold wire wound hemi (hey,it's a dream) on 13s A123.)
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:15 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
I think you will find that APC works amazing with the 1400kv range,now I do not have logging,but I do know I am no where close to the limit of my Cheepo 150amp esc.I am sure you will be just fine with the 7X10 on 5S and cut a couple from 6.2 and 6.5x10 for 6S....I picked up the bags of ten.I know you have an issue a while back with APC shipping prices,so I would have no problem helping getting a bag full.Also the APC 7 X8 kicks on 6S.If you want some Killer carbon props,I have a nice assortment of fixed and folding I would part with real cheap. Doug.
Cheers man, Ill flick you a PM Lots of props to play with sounds like a good idea
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:11 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Jun 2011
118 Posts
Hey Guys,

I don't know what to say here, I have the XPlane in the pictures in my workshop, I am building it for a good friend of mine, infact we both got one, mine is in transit as I type this. It is hard to show in the pictures the issues with the airframe. Maybe we are just fussy or these things don't bother other people or go un noticed im not sure. I'm not trying to burn anyone, and my friends concerns were raised through the correct channels. I myself like to see this sort of thing in threads, I had read through this thread from start to finish, it's like advertising for Yuri. If things like this are kept to PM's and emails how can someone make an informed desision to purchase a suitable plane. Everyone gave the XPlane great reviews, I think the issue is with the new fuselage. I'm not sure how many of these have been made and how many have seen them, I hope it's an isolated issue ie: something happened at post curing.

I have some measurements here, without the correct gear I can't get any more figures, but I can have a friend run it up on his CNC Plotter to get exact numbers but I don't think that is neccessary.

Name: DSC09048 - Copy.JPG
Views: 95
Size: 110.9 KB
Description:

A = 780mm
B = 776mm
C = 897mm
D = 898mm

Vertical stabiliser is 4deg from tailplane. This to me is the main issue and the fuse not symetrical, maybe a cosmetic issue, I'm not sure how this will effect the flying, everything else can be remedied and tweaked.

I am still looking forward to recieving mine and getting it in the air, even now having posted this I will have a BLACK X on the list

QDRevenger.
QDRevenger is offline Find More Posts by QDRevenger
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:21 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,008 Posts
I'm still waiting to maiden mine so I can't speak too much, but I don't think the issue you are seeing is not going to matter at all. It's a few mm, maybe 0.5% off. So one side of the wing is catching the airflow nanoseconds before the other.

A little off topic, but if you look at a Rutan design like this:
http://classconnection.s3.amazonaws....7449395035.jpg

You will see the thing is completely asymetrical and still flies great.

I would be worried more if the vertical tail was twisted or not in-line with the thrust. But given the torque you are going to see; not sure you are even going to notice.

My two cents, build it and if it flies poorly talk to Yuri. I will measure mine later and give you a comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRevenger View Post
Hey Guys,

I don't know what to say here, I have the XPlane in the pictures in my workshop, I am building it for a good friend of mine, infact we both got one, mine is in transit as I type this. It is hard to show in the pictures the issues with the airframe. Maybe we are just fussy or these things don't bother other people or go un noticed im not sure. I'm not trying to burn anyone, and my friends concerns were raised through the correct channels. I myself like to see this sort of thing in threads, I had read through this thread from start to finish, it's like advertising for Yuri. If things like this are kept to PM's and emails how can someone make an informed desision to purchase a suitable plane. Everyone gave the XPlane great reviews, I think the issue is with the new fuselage. I'm not sure how many of these have been made and how many have seen them, I hope it's an isolated issue ie: something happened at post curing.

I have some measurements here, without the correct gear I can't get any more figures, but I can have a friend run it up on his CNC Plotter to get exact numbers but I don't think that is neccessary.

Attachment 5531443

A = 780mm
B = 776mm
C = 897mm
D = 898mm

Vertical stabiliser is 4deg from tailplane. This to me is the main issue and the fuse not symetrical, maybe a cosmetic issue, I'm not sure how this will effect the flying, everything else can be remedied and tweaked.

I am still looking forward to recieving mine and getting it in the air, even now having posted this I will have a BLACK X on the list

QDRevenger.
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:56 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2004
431 Posts
I'd like to thank QDRevenger for chiming in. From the moment of Yuri's 1st post on this issue, which was very un-specific, I've been wondering what the issue actually is. I appreciate seeing some facts to be debated, hopefully in a civil manner.

Alignments being off by up to an 1/8" is usually my personal comfort zone. Being off by 4mm is just a touch over 1/8", but I'd bet my own X that it won't make any difference whatsoever. But it does look crooked. And it's noticeable IMO. It looked crooked when I 1st saw the picture posted by Yuri, but didn't say anything because there were no hints given...and pictures can be misleading.

It will fly fine, and you won't know it's misaligned from the way it flies, but you can see it.

Some buyers wouldn't care. Some will. No judgement on my part either way. If it's an issue, I'd either re-work it, or return it.
drice is offline Find More Posts by drice
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:13 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
1,942 Posts
My assumption on looking at the pictures was the camera was showing optical abberation and therefore you could not really look at the geometry of the plane objectively, rather the finish.

Those differences may or may not make a difference, who knows... what I'd be interested to see is a straight line drawn from the center of the firewall to the rear tip of the fuse. If that is straight then it just appears as if the wing and horizontal stab are slightly skewed.

But I think this is a PM / email matter
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:30 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
Ahh its only a couple of mm's off, easy as to fix. Give me a buzz QDrevenger, Ive built 3 X's now, so have a pretty good idea

Xplanes arent ARFs, or mass produced mouldys made for squillion $ each. Theyre home made tough as nails rocketships that look awesome for a bargain price. Youd be suprised how many "name brand" models arent quite perfect out the box either!

Ive had to tweak all of mine slightly, to get bits to line up just right, incidence angles etc. Im not complaining about that, its what I expected. Its not hard work either, its part of building an X (or most planes)

Its possible to tweak booms using hairdryer/hot air gun, but it doesnt look like the boom is skewed anyway, more likely one of the threaded inserts at the top of the tail is a lil bit off (probably only ~1mm off)

I dont think I could see 1-4mm over that distance by eye, its the lines on the roller door behind it making it look worse
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:53 PM
Deutschland, RP, Niederzissen
Joined Dec 2011
849 Posts
Its a question how you define quality.

I can feel with Yuri as i am building these kind of planes myself.
It is actually a lot of work to build this kind of stuff and its not as simple as most of you might think!!

An offset of 0,05 mm in the Wing bolting holes may effekt several mm in wingtip alignement, and be aware ,you will even have problems to get this accuracy with a cnc-milled plug.

Most of you are not able to build this,and you may have no idea about the problems which may appear at every single plane coming off the mold!

I would never judge a HP plane about wing or stab-alignement or fuse join, cause this is easy to fix or even easier to ignore, i would rather focus at performance in comparison to competitors!!

The last T- Tailed Flipper i built for a friend is probably one of the best i ever built, almost perfect at surface, light and stiff. but it is not perfect in stab alignement as all T-Flippers but nevertheless all these "crooked" flippers have been succesfull in competition and i never heard any complainment about performance.

From Pictures i would watch Yuris X as some steps higher in Quality......
Mreyello is offline Find More Posts by Mreyello
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:02 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
^ Sweeeet paint scheme Yello!

Reminds me of my Stratair pyro, which was way more out of whack, out of the box, than any Xplane ive owned
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:09 PM
Deutschland, RP, Niederzissen
Joined Dec 2011
849 Posts
Regarding paint sheme i am definitly far behind artist Yuri!!

Yello
Mreyello is offline Find More Posts by Mreyello
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:12 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...xit-fairings-2

Anyone tried something like this on the top drive links like on an X?

Im tempted to try make some.... could be dangerous
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:48 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,650 Posts
Thought I'd take a stab at this...

What I did was import the images into AutoCad. As accurately as possible -- and there is room for human error -- I then drew centerlines over the fuselage, vertical stabilizer and horizontal stabilizer in the front view and reference lines over the wing and horizontal stabilizer (using the hinge lines or tips-whichever was most visible) in the top/bottom views. I then extracted the lines from the images and rotated each drawing until the wings were level. Using the wings as a reference, you can see the degree of misalignment of each part. This method isnít perfect because the plane in the images may not be (probably not) perfectly aligned with the camera and human error in placement of the lines over the images.

Anyway, without all this, just by looking at the images, it looks to me like the horizontal stabilizer (in the front view) is not level with the wing and in the top/bottom views looks like the horizontal stabilizer is not rotationally aligned eitheróagain, this system is not perfect.

The stab on my StratAir Viper is off a smidge (rotationally) too.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:56 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
The little tweaks in my $450 X did not bother me one bit as i know when all is said and done,Yuri makes about $1 US...Screw That ! Yuri has issues trying to make all these planes on the side ....Now the tweeks in my $700 airframe straight up me off (hell,the only perfect HP plane i have every purchased was the Miro VooDoo )...But in the end,they both fly on rails and give instant Stiffy from launch to landing,no blue pill needed......On a side note,i can not wait tell next month when i live 4.1 miles from Yuri and get any X i want for the price of-Staying up late one night and what ever a brick costs these days .
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child