Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Motor p0rn, complete with ceramic balls

Back to building the X-plane
Jacko, did you install the Boca bearing yourself? How difficult is it to do?

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:45 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
Jacko, did you install the Boca bearing yourself? How difficult is it to do?

Bill

No.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jul 08, 2011, 05:50 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Boca bearing, what did I miss

Still waiting for my X-plane # 68 to arrive, 7 days today, I think it will be here before next weekend, I hope

Counting the days like a child before christmas
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Jul 08, 2011, 06:58 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,388 Posts
Nope special ordered from mega with ABEC 7 ceramic hybrid bearings (steel cage, ceramic balls), just to see how they go

In theory less losses through rolling resistance, the bearings last much longer compared to steel, and they have some silly small amount of max run out tolerance (0.00025mm from memory)

Dan@Mega installed both the bearings and the boca sticker
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jul 08, 2011, 02:59 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
Still waiting for my X-plane # 68 to arrive,...
I'm supposed to get mine tomorrow , hehe :
WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:05 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Nope special ordered from mega with ABEC 7 ceramic hybrid bearings (steel cage, ceramic balls), just to see how they go

In theory less losses through rolling resistance, the bearings last much longer compared to steel, and they have some silly small amount of max run out tolerance (0.00025mm from memory)

Dan@Mega installed both the bearings and the boca sticker
I think ABEC 7 and 8's are what they use in the Space program. Should work well enough for our toys.
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:34 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
WimH , what is that plane ?
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:43 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,484 Posts
RFM Surprise 7 fuse, Surprise 6 tail and Woitek's new wing from his "X5" own design F5B plane. He just mated the wing with these parts I've had lying around for years....
WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Jul 08, 2011, 07:10 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
aha, ok now I know..
Old Jul 09, 2011, 12:57 AM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,180 Posts
Flew x today, it had a NASTY accelerated stall after 1 pass... lost full control and saved it maybe 10 feet off the ground. Landed everything seemed ok, so I lowered elevator throw and relaunched. Well, first pass it happens again, just starts spiraling towards the ground, I regained control inverted 6 feet from the ground, but it was too late. I did the walk of shame into our dried shrubs and saw smoke... Started running but I did not have a hex drive with me (Eric, this means I'll start carrying a fanny pack too, no matter how ridiculous it looks). Well, the plane had gone inverted again, and landed upside downish. Spinner took damage, but low and behold, the plane is INTACT. Fire resulted from lipo slamming into caps and shorting esc, I got lucky because the rx lipo is beneath the esc, and it was fine, as was flight pack. Only noteworthy issue is some of the annodization on the leaner burned off, and it fuse + motor has that fresh cap tar smell...long story short, yuri, this plane is for beginners, it is bullet proof!

Turned out not to be an accelerated stall after all, it was a broken antenna lead inside the fuse. It range checked only 4 feet from me. Add insult to injury, I forgot to point the antenna when flying. Time for a new esc
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:22 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,388 Posts
Bugger, glad its intact

What radio do you fly with?
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jul 09, 2011, 03:40 AM
Take off, eh
USA, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2009
213 Posts
LA,
Some packs for your consideration.
...maybe people wouldn't laugh if we called them crotch packs.
plainguy is offline Find More Posts by plainguy
Old Jul 09, 2011, 05:49 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by la528it View Post
Flew x today, it had a NASTY accelerated stall after 1 pass... lost full control and saved it maybe 10 feet off the ground. Landed everything seemed ok, so I lowered elevator throw and relaunched. Well, first pass it happens again, just starts spiraling towards the ground, I regained control inverted 6 feet from the ground, but it was too late. I did the walk of shame into our dried shrubs and saw smoke... Started running but I did not have a hex drive with me (Eric, this means I'll start carrying a fanny pack too, no matter how ridiculous it looks). Well, the plane had gone inverted again, and landed upside downish. Spinner took damage, but low and behold, the plane is INTACT. Fire resulted from lipo slamming into caps and shorting esc, I got lucky because the rx lipo is beneath the esc, and it was fine, as was flight pack. Only noteworthy issue is some of the annodization on the leaner burned off, and it fuse + motor has that fresh cap tar smell...long story short, yuri, this plane is for beginners, it is bullet proof!

Turned out not to be an accelerated stall after all, it was a broken antenna lead inside the fuse. It range checked only 4 feet from me. Add insult to injury, I forgot to point the antenna when flying. Time for a new esc
,, glad the plane survived at least..

SO you fly Hitec 2.4ghz ? you saud broken antenna, it must be ONE antenna only in reciever..

Hope you get her in air soon again, and this time you will FLY her , no more 3-d moves please

Sebbe.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 10:25 AM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,891 Posts
Sounds like a bit too much excitement in that flight! Glad the model is OK though!

Rule #1 for high performance flying -- Always, always carry the wing bolt wrench in your pocket when flying!

I guess you can use a fanny pack too if you want to be stylish or have no pockets.

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Jul 09, 2011, 12:42 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by la528it View Post
Started running but I did not have a hex drive with me (Eric, this means I'll start carrying a fanny pack too, no matter how ridiculous it looks)
You need a mustache to be wearing a fanny pack. Or you could forego both and just stock up on cargo shorts from Old Navy You are lucky and learned the same lesson most of us have had to suffer through, too. Glad your X is still okay.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member