HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:09 PM
200mph +
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
Hi Gryphon,

Thanks for that. I tried to (in the grass..) solder up a 100lite from a damaged plane to my X to try and get it up for the rest of the weekend flying but didn't have much luck.

The lite would reset (battery beeps + rearming) most of the time when I hit the throttle switch instead of firing into life.

I'll take a closer look and see what I did wrong and get it going. Looks like a 100lite might be the best place to start. I had a look at a Jive 80lv and they are not as small as I thought they were.

If the 100 lite dies, i guess I'll find another p125 somewhere.
sykotic is offline Find More Posts by sykotic
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:22 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2004
433 Posts
It only took 5-6 months, but I finally got around to replacing the faulty flap servo in my X.

So I put flights 3 and 4 on her this AM. Yay.

I ran out of elevator on final, even though I cranked up the throws last night.

How much elevator are you guys (Voodoo/Yuri) running in your various modes, especially in Landing mode. And...tell me again where your CG is?

Someone asked for a rolling circle, so there's one in here somewhere:
X-Plane Flight 3 (5 min 47 sec)
drice is offline Find More Posts by drice
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:01 PM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,259 Posts
I have my CG at 53mm and 6mm throw on the elevator if that helps.
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:24 PM
200mph +
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
I'm at 55mm and have around 6mm up throw aswell. I do have a landing mode with another mm or so, but I never use it.

My crow tends to pick up the nose, so as I make the last turn ill feed in the crow instead of the up elevator and generally I'm holding down most of the way in.
sykotic is offline Find More Posts by sykotic
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:17 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
WHY CAN I NOT SEE ANY VIDEO ON THIS SITE !?!?!? They are there,but blank looking,and nothing happens when i hit play...Anybody ever have this happen ?.....My CG is at 54 and 5mm on the elev for landing mode.....I to also give alot of down while landing.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:52 PM
I B Chargin'
Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drice View Post
It only took 5-6 months, but I finally got around to replacing the faulty flap servo in my X.

I ran out of elevator on final, even though I cranked up the throws last night.

How much elevator are you guys (Voodoo/Yuri) running in your various modes, especially in Landing mode. And...tell me again where your CG is?

Someone asked for a rolling circle, so there's one in here somewhere:
Great vid drice!! I would sure like to see a rolling circle on vid with WOT power on an HP plane Not with a plane mounted camera though That vid shows how stable the tail is.......I didn't see any flex at all.
Charger is offline Find More Posts by Charger
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:01 AM
Joined Jul 2004
433 Posts
Hey VC, not sure why you can't see vid. Could be the browser you're using. ???

Charger, I can't go WOT for more than a few seconds because of my setup, and the way I do rolling circles, if I was going 150MPH, I'd lose the plane too far away.

I have to check my CG. I have at least 6mm of UP in all modes.

When I feed in crow, my plane stays nice and level, but I have 4-5mm of down elevator mixed in. But...I didn't use crow on the landing in the video. I thought I was cruising along fine, and expected to feed in some flaps after I crossed the threshold, but as I was crossing, I realized I was at full UP already.

The next flight I landed in a more conservative way. I hit full crow while still about 150 feet high to see how it responded, and it settled into a nice nose down, slow glide, all the way to my feet.

It's a good idea to pull up crow just before it hits, so you don't damage a flap.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:50 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
drice very nice flight and throw, what is your techique when throwing ? half throttle then full .

Doug, could be your browser , but do you have latest flashplayer.
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:02 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drice View Post

Don,
I reckon it's pretty cool how you got the guy from Mythbusters to launch your X Plane!
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Sweet video Drice,got the vids working.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:30 AM
Even that isn't fast enough
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Sep 2004
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykotic View Post
How many of you are running a 100lite in your xplane with lots of power? (16/35/1 + 16x17 on 5s)

Fried my (another... have a pile of them building up now) p125 today doing speed runs I'm guessing it was around the 200amp/3kw+ mark. 200m course so I'm guessing 3-3.5 second runs was a little too much .

Thinking about 100lite or a Jive 150lv..... Jive is big $$$$ but I don't want to lose another airframe.
With some projects with Oklahoma State University we were runnning Ice and Ice Lites. Drawing over 300amps at launch and then cruising at 100 amps for 2 minutes. Cooked all the Lites but the Ices would stand up to it. The only Ices we lost were on the ground between flights. Blowing air into the fueselage after flying helped cool things off and save some ESC's.
why_fly_high is online now Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Jul 2004
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
drice very nice flight and throw, what is your techique when throwing ? half throttle then full?
Hi Sebbe. My throttle is on a switch, which is one of the reasons I've waited so long to fix my flap servo. I'm basically terrified of this thing, and throwing it myself, but I had decided many moons ago that the next flight would begin with my own throw.

It was much easier and less dramatic than I had feared. Honestly, it was a non-event.

The biggest drama was when I threw it, in that video, my finger came off the switch. My 1st thought was that my ESC just crapped itself, like happened to Voodoo, but my finger realized its mistake, and got back on the switch, and all was fine. In the subsequent flight, my finger minded its own business, and stayed on the job, and the plane just hauled ass away and up.

I take 1 step, cock my arm back, hit the switch, and throw it. I think it's probably spun up to about 58.2% of full RPM by the time it leaves my hand, but that's a guess. Another guess is that my angle of launch is somewhere between 16.38 and 21.44 degrees of inclination.

I'm just flying on 4S right now. Not sure if 5S is in the cards, but time will tell. It is not as fast as I'd like it to be, but 5S is much harder on the ESC, and I'm not interested in burning it up. A more likely scenario would be to switch to a F5D setup.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Jul 2004
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter m View Post
don,
i reckon it's pretty cool how you got the guy from mythbusters to launch your x plane!
LMAO...That's funny right there... !!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:27 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
OK, drice, maybee that miss on the switch is what maked the launch so good,

Yes must be increased heartbeat when throwing the plane by your self. some day its my time. but as you know I am a SLOW builder, wunder why ? maybee to scared

Sebbe
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Yuri,is there any flying going on in the Portland area during December? I will be up and over there for the Holidays,wondering if I should bring my X for the 2,800 mile trip