Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:53 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,639 Posts
I see discussion about the Airtronics 94802. As far as I can tell with the naked eye, these are precisely the same as the DS09. I'm using 94802's on the ailerons in my Viper F5D setup. I have them wrapped with a couple of layers of masking tape, then glued to the top wing skin with Zap Goo (same as shoe goo I guess).

About 110 flights now, no problems.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:33 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,759 Posts
Tim, you have the SCD:s , right ?
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:05 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,639 Posts
Hi sebbe.

No, I'm talking about the Airtronics 94802 servo - it's supposed to be the same as the DS09. I don't know precisely which DS09 it compares to - but yes, when I started out with the DS09 it was the SCD.

Here's the Airtronics:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYZW1&P=7

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:28 AM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
950 Posts
Good to hear you found the issue Doug. You had me worried for a while there!
SlowBarless is online now Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:46 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,759 Posts
Tom, ok , sorry, dont know why I said you had the SCD:s ?? well, but the Airtronics 94802 same as Airtronics 802 and is the same as 09 SCD, so why are the Airtronics better then the Hyperions ?? different producer, better QC ? better gears ?
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:31 AM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
822 Posts
I have the plastic gear ds09 in a plane with around 150 flights and no issues. Definitely no increase in gear backlash. The plane even spun around on landing once in tall grass and the elevator popped the elevator servo loose(was gooped into fuselage) and I just gooped it back in place and no issue.

I've read on here about metal gears developing slop, which seems logical. I've had great luck with karbonite gear hitec servos staying tight, but they have limited choices for thin servos.
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,259 Posts
I personaly don't generally use any metal gear servos in any go fast planes.

Terry
Chuchuf is online now Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:57 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf View Post
I personaly don't generally use any metal gear servos in any go fast planes.

Terry

not me either, but my AMD:s I have are about totally sloopfree now, well selected...

but if they get bad after 10-20 flights and develope sloop in gears, then I have to rethink what servos to put in my fast planes...
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:20 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,255 Posts
Sooooo.....is your X moving yet?

Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:43 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
Arctery and VooDoo, was the sloop on the AMD:s 09 there in the beginning or did it get worse, how quick ?

Trying to descide IF using them or not..as I have the choice now before glue them in..

Sebbe
I never said my servos had slop ....But what mine do have the ability to do is have play in them,or in better terms-The servo arm has the ability to move a small amount without having slop,but the movement translates to a much larger movement by the time it reaches the trailing edge of the flap.....Now as i said,i ran the plane with the GM 11X22 on 5S to see if in fact this was futter, or a prop issue as the GM 11X22 on 4S did not do this.Now i went back and read my post after trying this,and realized i left one part out...so hear goes.I was able the get a flutter noise,but it was not the same tone,and it took a higher speed to make it happen (and you know how fast a plane will get going with Mega 16-35-1 5.2gb on 5S w/big f5d folder).So that is all i know at this point,and will tape up the flaps and give it another flight to see what happens.If she does fly with taped ails on the Sawtooth without making any real cool loud noises,i will know it is infact the servos acting alone,and will then change them out.See,i don't know about you,but i think it is pretty damn cool to have a Plane that can Transform from Cool Hotliner,to Wanna-B Pylon plane in under a minute with a prop change,so i will stick with this The X-Plane does them both Very Well.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biskit View Post
I have the plastic gear ds09 in a plane with around 150 flights and no issues. Definitely no increase in gear backlash. The plane even spun around on landing once in tall grass and the elevator popped the elevator servo loose(was gooped into fuselage) and I just gooped it back in place and no issue.

I've read on here about metal gears developing slop, which seems logical. I've had great luck with karbonite gear hitec servos staying tight, but they have limited choices for thin servos.
There is no doubt that plastic works wonders when it comes to a clean center,but as many have pointed out,and i have found out,for flaps and the hits they can take on landing,there life span is on a landing to landing basis if you land in places that are prone to ant hills,mole holes,weeds,long grass,and punk kids that ride there dirt bikes over it and rip it to bits....such as the runway at my rc club.I will just have to dig deeper in my pocket if i change the servos out for the best metal gear,as the X has been so good to me,and has earned my respect i will also change the hight of the control horn a bit.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
I never said my servos had slop ....But what mine do have the ability to do is have play in them,or in better terms-The servo arm has the ability to move a small amount without having slop,but the movement translates to a much larger movement by the time it reaches the trailing edge of the flap.....
I don't understand.
If the servo arm is moving a small amount, isn't that slop in the servo? Either in the gear train or output bushing or bearing seat if they have bearings??
OR are you saying that the arm is moving sideways rather than fore and aft?
The reason I don't run metal gear servos in fast planes is they can develop slop after a short period of time even if hand selected and slop free to start. Brass gears on steel will do that.

Terry
Chuchuf is online now Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf View Post
I don't understand.
If the servo arm is moving a small amount, isn't that slop in the servo? Either in the gear train or output bushing or bearing seat if they have bearings??
OR are you saying that the arm is moving sideways rather than fore and aft?
The reason I don't run metal gear servos in fast planes is they can develop slop after a short period of time even if hand selected and slop free to start. Brass gears on steel will do that.

Terry
When i think of slop,i think of a dead spot were if you move the servo arm there is free movement with a clunking,or hard hit on both sides when all meshes finaly (i know slop all to well with flying the giant scale gassers,i have gone through $ thousands in servos over the years).What my servos have is more like a week center,there is pressure all the time,but i can move the arm back and fourth,even makes the servo whine a bit.To be honest,i never liked these things from day one.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:53 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Sooooo.....is your X moving yet?

you wish ,, as they say, the last will not be the worst
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:02 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,759 Posts
I know what you mean Doug by the play you are describing.... either way, if the flutter is there at high speed, it is, and there is a few way to solve with it, I think your way with taping is an easy fix that I am sure will be good.. I dont have flaps in my X, so I will go for the AMD:s in ailerons , as I will make travel of 120% to get the throws I need, and I will fly it Hotliner style anyway, dont think I will get problems this way.

BUT in my Viper I think I will leave the AMD:s out, I have to fins some other servos to fit there, I have a few other ideas to make normal 11-12mm heigh servos fit, I will see..