HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:49 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,277 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the "flap" issues some are having. I had about 70degrees or more flaps, guesstimated about how much down elevator to mix in, tried it up high, dialed in around 2 more clicks down, and it was perfect.

If I had even a slight headwind, I didn't use flaps at all. In dead air or short a LZ they are handy.

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:20 AM
200mph +
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
Thanks Yuri. Am planning on a geared setup, so that's not going to work!

I'll figure out what kind of power system I can try out with our trusty 5s 2100/2200 packs.

Is the slope fuse wider/deeper at all? Is it any longer than the electric?
sykotic is offline Find More Posts by sykotic
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:34 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf View Post
Sebbe, never measured it so it' where ever Yuri has it. Doesn't have any weird power on/off tendencies so I'm guessing it's correct as well as the firewall I set in the plane.

Terry
Hey Terry, did you set your firewall at 0*?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:06 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
Hey Terry, did you set your firewall at 0*?
That's what I went for.

Terry
Chuchuf is offline Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:00 AM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykotic View Post
Has anyone tried to get 6s in an X? I'm away from home for a few days so can't check myself.

2x some smallish 3s packs? Or a 4s and a 2s under the esc. CG is likely to be a problem...

Trying to figure out a setup for a X using a F5D folder.
when I get home from work,I will try an wedge my Swist 6cell set in the X....Looks like they should fit.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:52 AM
Mark Robbins
United States, SD, Watertown
Joined Nov 2007
96 Posts
What are you guys getting for AUW on your xplanes. I am building a slope fuse for mine. I will be building ballast plates to screw into the fuse and I want to get an idea what weights I should make them at?

I am surprised at how light it is shaping up to be. I haven't got all the servos in the wing done yet, but I'll post when I do. Can it be too light?

I was thinking of putting the elev servo up front, but decided against it as the lead will be wanted up front to add to the weight.

Any ideas what kind of weight this wing will carry? I have high hopes for the plane here in our South Dakota winds. I'd like to get 200MPH+ out of it on the backside...
Mark Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Mark Robbins
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Robbins View Post
What are you guys getting for AUW on your xplanes. I am building a slope fuse for mine.
Two weeks ago, our satellites over Russia/Alaska spotted what appeared to be a slope fuse in the works, somewhere in the neighborhood of Bfe, Oregon. We send a drone to investigate, but someone named winchdoc captured it, tortured it, and removed all it's precious innards for use in some awesome sailplane hardare.

As nice as that cone is, if I were you, I would remove it, and stuff the biggest motor possible followed by the biggest battery possible in that thing. Fly it at a flat field like you stole it. Then, go home, log on to internet, and send request to Yuri composites asking to order slope fuse. With any luck, YC will sell you one of these so that you can have your cake (e-version) and slope that wing too.

la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:23 PM
Mark Robbins
Joined Nov 2007
96 Posts
yeah I have been in touch with Yuri, I have heard the same rumors. I already had this and converted it to slope. I have an E-fuse coming.

At this point, I would have to lop off the nose (which is 4 layers of 6oz carbon) which already has powdered lead and a bungee hook tube installed. too late to turn back now...
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:18 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Joined Jun 2005
5,229 Posts
I am actually kinda like Mark's nose cone.Looks like a grenade. Imagine it will hit You in the forehead. He will definitely a winner of any mid air collision .
Mark ,You did a great job with that cone ,very accurate.
Yuri.
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:52 PM
Mark Robbins
Joined Nov 2007
96 Posts
Thanks Yuri. I have done this before.
The short of it is...

Pink (40lbs?) foam jammed in the front and then sanded/shaped as desired.

Layup however many layers carbon/glass you want.

Sand/blend the carbon to existing fuse.

Acetone to eat out pink foam on inside of fuse.

Install bungee hook tube. powdered lead till that's in solid. (more when i do final CG)

paint. in this case i will cut some vinyl to make the nose a little prettier.

I was going for the blunt nose look. My dad wanted to see it more pointed, but I thought it would get real Pinocchio-like. Of course if that hits me in the forehead it will be the last time i ever do that...
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:21 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Joined Jun 2005
5,229 Posts
All that work You listed Mark,takes hours to complete.
Sanding is my "favorite" part.
Yuri.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:06 PM
Mark Robbins
Joined Nov 2007
96 Posts
no, I build fast. I actually have worked on this maybe 6 hours total. That includes potting in the tail servo linkage. There is lots of "drying" time, but that's why you have 4-5 projects going on at once....

your the real artist. I have done my fair share of composite building and for some reason it never turns out as good as your stuff. Anyway, hope it is fast!

(still looking for insight on weights)
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:10 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Joined Jun 2005
5,229 Posts
Weights between 1100gr-1400gr being tested.
Yuri.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:20 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Rich ! Who does the song from the X-Plane trailer vid ? i thought for sure it was "Curve" or "KMFDM" and a few others i thought,but my search has rendered me nothing. Doug
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,348 Posts
If anyone needs a Kontroniks KPG25 5.2:1 gearbox let me know. Since I deceided to go direct drive on my XPlane I won't be needing this. It's new never run. I did install it on my Neu motor and then took back off.
I paid $89.99 plus shipping for it and will sell for $75 plus $5 shipping in the US.

Thanks,

Terry
Chuchuf is offline Find More Posts by Chuchuf