HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2011, 06:32 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,757 Posts
Discussion
Starting something for PSS Fest 2013..Iíll let the kids build the big Chipmunk ARF

Well it wont be scratch built. (Because I donít have that kind of time or skill.) But it will be big.

I would like to go bigger but my budget is not bigger.

Teaser pic shows the tail is as big as a Weasel. Can you guess it. Itís not a P-40 or a Mig.

*******************Ok I changed the thread title and the game plane for this project. Seeing how as my daughter has already started helping me build this plane I am going to let her and my son build the whole thing. They have helped me on other aircraft, but so far they have not done one from start to finish. This will be their first one. Should be a fun learning experience and an easy way to get them started in the hobby. They have both done some flying with a buddy box but not much. This summer I will have them do a lot more so that after the Chipmunk is built they can fly it if they are good enough.*****************
DWA is online now Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DWA; Jun 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:08 PM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Feb 2003
2,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA View Post
Well it wont be scratch built. (Because I donít have that kind of time or skill.) But it will be big.

I would like to go bigger but my budget is not bigger.

Teaser pic shows the tail is as big as a Weasel. Can you guess it. Itís not a P-40 or a Mig.

Dave
P-51?

Adrian
codezilla is offline Find More Posts by codezilla
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:43 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Sep 2004
524 Posts
Tucano?
oziflyer is online now Find More Posts by oziflyer
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:31 PM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,757 Posts
I wish it was a P-51 or a Tucano, actually I wish it was a giant scale Fairchild-Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II with about a 20 foot wing span. But that is a dream for another PSS Fest in the distant future.

No, this is just a big 86 inch span Chipmunk ARF from BH.Model. I bought it from a friend who was going to put a big gasser in it them decided he did not want to.
I have an electric motor and speed controller that would fit this plane but I do not feel like buying the lipos for it, so I will just throw some servos & a receiver in her a throw her out at the next Fest.

I put a LEG 48 inch next to her for a size reference. I just placed the tail and cowl on loose for the pictures.

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2011, 04:20 PM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Feb 2003
2,370 Posts
Quote:
I wish it was a P-51 or a Tucano, actually I wish it was a giant scale Fairchild-Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II with about a 20 foot wing span. But that is a dream for another PSS Fest in the distant future.

No, this is just a big 86 inch span Chipmunk ARF from BH.Model. I bought it from a friend who was going to put a big gasser in it them decided he did not want to.
I have an electric motor and speed controller that would fit this plane but I do not feel like buying the lipos for it, so I will just throw some servos & a receiver in her a throw her out at the next Fest.

I put a LEG 48 inch next to her for a size reference. I just placed the tail and cowl on loose for the pictures.

Dave
That wing looks mighty thick. Just cut a new set of cores and sheet them and cover. Should be fairly easy.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 04:45 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,325 Posts
A few Mod's

Hey Dave,
Why not do a few mods and make it your PSS project .If you do Art Scholl's chippy with the retracts it will be scale
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:11 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,557 Posts
Jezzz, ... those guys are sitting so close it makes me think, ... they should get a room!

I agree with Steve, ... use it as a base and doll it up a bit. Not sure how long those wing tip lights will last, ... are the tips vacuum formed clear PETG? (plastic)

Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:11 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
Super Chipmunk is a great choice. I'm surprised the VTPR scale guys haven't done it.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:16 AM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,757 Posts
This is going to be easy. I read the instruction manual - my 2 kids do the work.

For work in tight areas it is nice to have kids around with small hands. My daughter can do this part.

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DWA; Jun 13, 2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:22 AM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by codezilla View Post
That wing looks mighty thick. Just cut a new set of cores and sheet them and cover. Should be fairly easy.
A few guys said that about the Mig but it flew more than good enough for me.

I do agree that the wings should be thinner for both the Mig and this Chipmunk but I am too lazy to bother with it.
I think this thing will do well on the slope, only way to find out is to put her together and throw her out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:43 AM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Feb 2003
2,370 Posts
Quote:
A few guys said that about the Mig but it flew more than good enough for me.

I do agree that the wings should be thinner for both the Mig and this Chipmunk but I am too lazy to bother with it.
I think this thing will do well on the slope, only way to find out is to put her together and throw her out.
True. Throw it out and see what happens. At worst it would be a cool looking floater.

Adrian
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:48 AM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by codezilla View Post
At worst it would be a cool looking floater.

Adrian
That is what I think also.

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:51 AM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban View Post
Hey Dave,
Why not do a few mods and make it your PSS project .If you do Art Scholl's chippy with the retracts it will be scale
Way too much work Steve...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:40 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,193 Posts
Quote:
This is going to be easy. I read the instruction manual - my 2 kids do the work.

For work in tight areas it is nice to have kids around with small hands. My daughter can do this part.

Dave
ARFs and child labor?! You're getting lazy, Dave. Real lazy...
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:20 PM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post
ARFs and child labor?! You're getting lazy, Dave. Real lazy...
Yes, I figure this one thread should completely destroy my reputation or any respect I thought I once had from my fellow slopers.

So with that in mind I think I will have my son (8 years old) and daughter (10 years old) build the Chipmunk with me supervising the project. This could be a great learning experience for my kids as they have been expressing more interest in my hobby and aviation. Added benefit I do less work and if someone teases me for building an ARF for the slope I can just proudly say my kids built it.
RCG Plus Member