Old Jun 09, 2011, 11:50 AM
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
527 Posts
Yippee!
Cessna 400 corvalis - Today I earned my wings

Hi,

As some of you may know I'm in this hobby since about one and a half years and have yet to really fly a plane. My first plane was a scratchbuild 2.4meter MD80 which has actually flown but crashed into a powerline during it's maiden.
RC MD80 Crash Into Powerline (0 min 49 sec)

The three "maiden-flights" before that one ended in similar ways.
  • The first one resulted in a crash right after takeoff due to a not extended radio antenna.
  • The second one veered into the bushes on the right side of the runway because of aileron reversal. (My fault)
  • On the third try the right EDF ingested gravel and basically exploded before takeoff.

On the plus Side, I had yet to crash because of a lack of airmanship.

It is probably quite understandable that I have become a little apprehensive of flying my big scratchbuild bird (or the one I'm building right now: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337059) without aggregating some experience with a less idiosyncratic vehicle fist. And this is what last week brought me to buying the Cessna 400 Corvalis. The Techical Data reads as follows:
Span: 1450mm
Length: 990mm
Weight: 960gr (Jup, with receiver and battery it's true to the gram)
Scale ist approx. 1:7.5
It has Elevator, Rudder, Ailerons and Flaps.
And you have to pay 140,00e for it with free shipping if you are living in germany or close by.

Today at 16:00 The postman brought the parcel and after one hour of assembly and programming I had the model ready to fly and went to a small soccerfield on a hilltop.

After takeoff I realized that the throws where quite large and it took me the better part of a very long heartbeat to get the plane under control. From there I circled for about 7 minutes around the field, trying to trim everything out. Landing was not that straight forward because of a iron fence that surrounds the field (and of cause because I had never gotten that far before with flying a model) but on the fifth approach I managed to get her down, all three wheels at the same time.
Challenging my luck I adjusted the throws with the radio and went for a second flight (same battery) which ended with a landing as nice as the first one.
The Plane flew about 9 minutes in total and the 3S was icecold afterwards. It still had 11,51V, 3,84 per cell. Does anyone know how much more flighttime was in the battery given even usage?

I can recommend this plane to anyone who wants to get into the hobby. It's easy to fly, very docile with tipstalling (jup...I know that now) and you can land it very nicely even if you have never flown anything before in your life. Advice: Use small throws on elevator and airlerons.

Can't wait for tomorrow morning.... hope the weather will play along.

I'm very Happy!
chochmah is offline Find More Posts by chochmah
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blohm und Voss BV P.144
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:09 AM
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
527 Posts
Hype Cessna Corvalis 400 (0 min 40 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:53 PM
Sverige, Västra Götalands Län, Trollhättan
Joined Oct 2006
393 Posts
That looks like it went really well. Hope the flying continues to be that smooth! Great location you've got to fly at!
kalleman is offline Find More Posts by kalleman
Old Jun 16, 2011, 04:15 PM
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
527 Posts
Quote:
That looks like it went really well. Hope the flying continues to be that smooth! Great location you've got to fly at!
Thank you very much. The flying has gotten a lot smoother since I trimmed the yaw.

It is a nice location isn't it? The small brown hut in the distance is a small CrossCountry Skying center serving hot tee etc. during the winter.
RCG Plus Member