HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2011, 06:19 AM
Estland
Joined Nov 2006
305 Posts
New Product
FrLCD V3 open source

FrLCD displays data from FrSky sensor hub and analog ports. Tone output for vario sensors (FVAS-01, How High...) , 8 model memories, capacity calculation if current sensor is attached, timer... and many more features.

More information here:
http://miisu-elektroonika.eu/rc/rcprojekt
Also check out the manual below for full specs and screenshots

Your input for future developments, bug fixes etc are welcome.

Update 5. (2013 Apr). Uploaded V3 files for DIY. V3 fits with v2 hardware. V2 is more difficult to produce at home (double layer, lot of vias) so I reccommend proffessionally produced boards.
Still can sell some kits or ready to use units.
My homepage moved to a new domain

Update 4. (2012 Apr). V3 is available for purchase. Price is 35€ or 45 USD
Pm me if you want one. There are still some available.

Update 3 V2. Hardware is same, but you can display hub data now.

UPDATE 2 V1.3(16 jul 2011) Ok this is the big version Now all data can be configured in menu (excluding Tx and Rx RSSI calibration) and also 2 different model memories. Attached is also image of menu hierarchy. Go to my website for additional files.

UPDATE(02 jul 2011): Software version 1.2 is now available. LCD is now fully configurable, you just need to change the EEPROM values in ASM file. In the file there is a detailed description how to change it. It might be a little confusing at first but I hope all is unerstandable.
tarts is offline Find More Posts by tarts
Last edited by tarts; Apr 28, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2011, 06:27 AM
Estland
Joined Nov 2006
305 Posts
ATM I'm programming the EEPROM data part to memoryze alarm levels, calibration values etc. I also wanted to make 2 model memories. The problem is that the 16f887 has only 256 bytes of memory so about 220 bytes can be used for each model(the rest I planned to keep for reserve). So I need to optimize EEPROM usage.

Does digital channels need calibration?
I think that Tx and Rx RSSI could do without calibration, and custom designation or unit values.
A1 value could also have predetermined units(Volts)?
Old Jun 09, 2011, 01:57 PM
Germany, lake of constance
Joined Oct 2010
407 Posts
Hi Tarts

The RSSI needs no calibration, value is given by the CC2500 Transceiver from Texas Instruments. For A1 you can make a menu for internal voltage divider (1:4) D8R V2, D6FR (1:X),
or selectable number of cells for D8R V1, D8R-II.

A model memory is a good idea.

I think you can store per model
  • A1: Internal or external voltage divider
  • A1: Number of Lipo cells
  • A1: Voltage alert level 1
  • A1: Voltage alert level 2
  • A2: Full Scale of physical value
  • A2: Unit: 01 temperature, 02 current...
  • A2: ...

Best regards
Micha
snoopy_schulz is offline Find More Posts by snoopy_schulz
Last edited by snoopy_schulz; Jun 09, 2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 11, 2011, 03:29 AM
Estland
Joined Nov 2006
305 Posts
By alert level 1 and 2 do you mean upper limit and lower limit or or voltage "low" alarm and voltage "very low" alarm?
I don't know much about the usage of digital channels yet, but I was thinking that it would be great if you could calibrate them too. For example you connect an analog sensor to your sensor hub( if this thing exists at all?) and then you calibrate it with your LCD. This way sensor hub doesn't have to know what sensor you have connected, would that be necessary?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 05:22 AM
Germany, lake of constance
Joined Oct 2010
407 Posts
Hi Tarts

Yes I'm using a "low" alarm and voltage "very low" alarm. For calibration of sensors you must define bytes for

* Full Scale of physical value
* Unit: 01 temperature, 02 current...

If using a sensor hub, the sensor data (analog or digital) must have an index. Depending on index you can
setup the FS and the Unit.

Best regards
Micha
snoopy_schulz is offline Find More Posts by snoopy_schulz
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:52 PM
Estland
Joined Nov 2006
305 Posts
I have updated the schematic files and and this should be the final version.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 07:27 PM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
459 Posts
Hello, so now four buttons finally works, is this "final" from hardware? I'm asking this, because I will make it and need to order material...

I have some answers:

1. how you solder LCD from NOkia, I see your picture but can't figure it what you use(which connector type..). I work some day with this displays(thermometer) and try to solder some wires on LCD "connector", but have a lot of problem...Too much heat destroy LCD.... Soo wires is not good choice...
2. on receiver side on A1 is connected temperature sensor(MCP9701) and on A2, voltage..? Can you make some schematic and picture also for this?
3. C1,C4, C3; I can use values 4,7 or 10uf ??
4. what socket is "hdr 1x5"? I try to find it on farnell, but without sucess..?
5. for Q1 and Q2 is this NPN, sot23 good?: http://si.farnell.com/nxp/pdtc114tt-...t23/dp/1757986

Thanks

PS: Can you sell finished product? What is prize?
reptor is offline Find More Posts by reptor
Last edited by reptor; Jun 11, 2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 03:47 AM
Deutschland, BW, Pforzheim
Joined May 2011
14 Posts
Hi, looks very cool.
I just received my frsky DHT module + receiver.
Now I have to choose if I use a cheap 16x2 lcd display or if I build yours.
One question: Do I need to buy an old 3310 over ebay or is there a cheap source for these displays?

regards,
leo
leo2k is offline Find More Posts by leo2k
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:43 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
If a cheap source of 3310 screens is posted here, they will all sell out

Part number is LCD-10168
try here, US$15
http://www.formymobile.co.uk/proddet...p?prod=3310lcd
or just do a Google search.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:45 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
Would be good if someone bought bulk parts and sold kits.
I hear it can be difficult to buy single units of some of the surface mount parts
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old Jun 13, 2011, 03:56 AM
Deutschland, BW, Pforzheim
Joined May 2011
14 Posts
Ok, so it's cheaper to buy a 3310 off ebay. I was just wondering because I read at another project that uses the same display that it's sooo easy to get them.
leo2k is offline Find More Posts by leo2k
Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:30 AM
Estland
Joined Nov 2006
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptor View Post
Hello, so now four buttons finally works, is this "final" from hardware?
Yes I have tested the buttons and buzzer and it all works

Quote:

1. how you solder LCD from NOkia, I see your picture but can't figure it what you use(which connector type..). I work some day with this displays(thermometer) and try to solder some wires on LCD "connector", but have a lot of problem...Too much heat destroy LCD.... Soo wires is not good choice...
3310 LCD already has these gold plated connectors, you need to align the LCD exactly with the PCB footprint and just solder with a very fine tip. I wouldn't reccommend using the regular soldering iron without temperature control, around 320 deg C would be perfect for soldering, but these cheap irons often go over 400, so soldering has to be fast.
Quote:
2. on receiver side on A1 is connected temperature sensor(MCP9701) and on A2, voltage..? Can you make some schematic and picture also for this?
On V2 receivers A1 is hardwired to servo port + pin, so it measures only voltage. A2 can be used to connect the temperature sensor. I might do a schematic for MCP9701 sensor later if I get time, but it's really simple. Theres also a schematic in manual. VDD goes to +5V servo port, GND goes to G pin and Vout goes to A2 pin.
Quote:
3. C1,C4, C3; I can use values 4,7 or 10uf ??
Both can be used, just pay attention to the package size, it has to be 1206 for my PCB design
Quote:
4. what socket is "hdr 1x5"? I try to find it on farnell, but without sucess..?
I'll try to search a part number later, but it is the female pin header with right angle pins.
Quote:
5. for Q1 and Q2 is this NPN, sot23 good?: http://si.farnell.com/nxp/pdtc114tt-...t23/dp/1757986
looks good

Quote:
PS:Can you sell finished product? What is prize?
Not at the moment, I barely get time to develop the code
Last edited by tarts; Jun 13, 2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:08 AM
Estland
Joined Nov 2006
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo2k View Post
One question: Do I need to buy an old 3310 over ebay or is there a cheap source for these displays?
The cheapest in ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LCD-DISPLAY-...item43988cb65c

I'd suggest you to give a call to some of your local cellphone dealer/repair center. Here in Esonia they still sell these phones.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:19 AM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
459 Posts
Thanks for reply;

so you have display connector type like this(there is many type if you don't know of these display's connectors):

reptor is offline Find More Posts by reptor
Old Jun 13, 2011, 08:02 AM
Estland
Joined Nov 2006
305 Posts
Yes that's the one. I have also heard that there were two types of connectors, however, I was told that this was the only connector they use now, only very old versions use the rubber conductor. But it might be worth asking what type of connectort they have before buying from ebay