HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 02:56 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,742 Posts
Build Log
The Air Force T-28 Trojan: Un-Boxing & Evaluation!

This is my "Un-Boxing & Evaluation of the FMS 1400mm Air Force T-28 Trojan!

I have to say, FMS continues to up the ante every time they release a new plane, and the T-28 Trojan is no exception!

I again ordered the airframe kit as I already have all the electronic items I will need for this build including the various 12 servos this plane requires. For those who are not into the "building thingie" I would suggest getting the ARF, as there are a couple of items that some may not want to mess with. Most notably....the nose gear assembly, and the wiring harnesses. Having already built the B-25 I have some idea how all the linkages should be routed and set up in the nose gear. The only problem I can see at this time might be the nose gear strut? Only time will tell if that proves to be true?

All the Y-harnesses are clearly marked so if time is taken to carefully follow each route then there shouldn't be any problems. I did notice on mine that the two LED Beacon leads were marked #2?

I ordered the Air Force version and the silver is not the same shade as my previous silver birds are? It's more of a Gunmetal/Silver so I guess I'll be doing some mixing to see what I can come up with, as I know I'll need some touching up to do.

The cowl flaps don't look to complicated, but to really make them functional I'll be opening up the air channels a bit. That and doing a little channeling around the engine cylinders should help increase air flow. I also plan to actuate the cowl flaps differently then FMS suggests (running off the flap channel), and make them function off temperature settings.

The wings are once again a candidate for the 1-Piece mod. That along with a 16-Pin header harness, and they'll be an easy removal for transporting. The wings themselves seem to be pretty stable. They are the typical FMS design, 2 round fiberglass spars at the root working in conjunction with the solid flat fiberglass spar running down the leading edge to the wing tip. Another nice feature on the T-28 now is the flap servo receptacles are now orientated so both operate in the same direction, no more reversed servos!
One thing I don't understand is why FMS decided to follow in the footsteps of the Starmax P-51, and extend the ailerons to the wing tips??

Kudos to the Nav/Landing/Beacon lights! They will be greatly enhanced when wired into a Maxi-Light controller.

All in all, I would say the T-28 will be a nice addition to anyone's hanger. It looks to be an easy assembly, and with the right electronics, a joy to fly!

UP-DATE 6/10/2011:
There has been some early reports that some of the planes have arrived with loose firewalls. Repairing the firewall in the T-28 is the easiest mod I have seen from FMS to date! For those who, like myself, have gotten the airframe kits, it's even easier! The firewall slips up into the channels in the foam from inside the nose-gear box cavity. When it comes time to secure the box in mine, I'll apply glue along the sides only. That way, if I ever need access, all I'll need to do is cut the glue loose around the box and slide it out, giving me full access to the motor mount.

UP-DATE 6/17/2011: Another nice touch FMS has added to the T-28 is the flap servo pockets are cut the same, so no reversed servo for the flaps! Both servos will now rotate in the same direction. No more reversed servos, or reversed servo modules for the flaps!
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Sep 07, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2011, 02:59 PM
Norman, Ok
Joined Jun 2007
49 Posts
RE: FMS/Airfield 1400mm T-28

Hi Sundancer,

Awesome pictures!

You are doing a wonderful job!

Which kit is this? Is it the ARF or PNP or RTF? I am confused!

Is there any way for you to post the actual manual on here for this?

Patsy
patsyw26 is offline Find More Posts by patsyw26
Old Jun 25, 2011, 04:37 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsyw26 View Post
Hi Sundancer,

Awesome pictures!

You are doing a wonderful job!

Which kit is this? Is it the ARF or PNP or RTF? I am confused!

Is there any way for you to post the actual manual on here for this?

Patsy
Thanks!

I ordered the airframe kit, which comes w/o electronics, with the exception of the E-tractable Landing Gear. I would say, if you like to build, then the kit is fine, but if you don't want to mess with installing the entire nose gear assembly, the cowl flap assembly and all the 12 related servos then I would strongly recommend either the ARF or RTF versions.

The Nitro manuals are pretty much useless.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2011, 04:57 PM
Norman, Ok
Joined Jun 2007
49 Posts
T-28

Thanks for the reply!

I noticed in my research that the FMS and the Airfield T-28 1400mm is exactly the same and while the FMS manual looks great, the Airfield one is not. You are not the first to mention it, so it is no surprise to me that the manual by Airfield is lousy. I wonder why the big difference in manuals?

I looked at all of the details of both FMS and Airfield and there is absolutely no difference, so I guess it is just how they market them.

But you did a wonderful job with pictures and explaining. Your post will help many people!

Thanks again.

patsy
Old Jun 25, 2011, 06:52 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,742 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

I noticed in my research that the FMS and the Airfield T-28 1400mm is exactly the same and while the FMS manual looks great, the Airfield one is not. You are not the first to mention it, so it is no surprise to me that the manual by Airfield is lousy. I wonder why the big difference in manuals?

I looked at all of the details of both FMS and Airfield and there is absolutely no difference, so I guess it is just how they market them.

But you did a wonderful job with pictures and explaining. Your post will help many people!

Thanks again.

patsy
This T-28 is actually manufactured by FMS. Nitro simply re-brands them Airfield.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:57 AM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Sep 2006
166 Posts
My hats off to you Sandancer for displaying this plane the way you did. Waiting for mine to get here, I know it's going to be a great build.

Leon
troadus is offline Find More Posts by troadus
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:51 AM
Starting over
United States, TN
Joined Sep 2010
201 Posts
Gary,
I just wanted to comment on your choice of pilot. Since this is a 50's plane the AoI pilot you selected is right on. Many compliments are due your way. The pilot makes the plane stand out above the rest. Good job. -robert
crashhelmet is offline Find More Posts by crashhelmet
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:49 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashhelmet View Post
Gary,
I just wanted to comment on your choice of pilot. Since this is a 50's plane the AoI pilot you selected is right on. Many compliments are due your way. The pilot makes the plane stand out above the rest. Good job. -robert
Thanks, Robert!

Because the T-28 is a trainer, I didn't want a WWII pilot in there, and I didn't want a Jet pilot either. Another variable was the 1/8 scale, there isn't a lot of choices out there. I had already gotten a couple of WWII pilots from AoI so I was already familiar with the Civ. pilot, so when the 1400 T-28 became available, it was an easy choice to make.

BUT!....the credit has to go to Greg Pierson! His input and talent is what brought the pilot to life. I have subsequently acquired another Civ. pilot from AoI to take the co-pilot's seat, and he's now in the capable hands of Greg. Because I didn't want "twins" in the cockpit, Greg assured me he had some ideas on how to paint the second one so there would be some definition between the two. I can't wait to see what he has come up with?

For what it's worth, he confided to me in his last email that he has already received several orders now for the AoI Civ. pilot painted up for the T-28! His talents are so incredible, I took the WWII Lufftwaffe pilot he did for me (wasn't scale for the Stuka), and put him in a display case here on my desk, until I find another German plane that he will fit in?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:39 PM
Norman, Ok
Joined Jun 2007
49 Posts
RE: Cockpit and canopy

Sandancer, how did you get the cockpit off of the canopy to exchange the pilots?

And how did you get 2 pilots, did yours come that way?

patsy
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:53 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Sep 2006
166 Posts
Sandancer one question, How did you get that pilot in the cockpit? I just received my kit and looking at the canopy and can not see how you did it...Good job But tell me how.....smile

Leon
troadus is offline Find More Posts by troadus
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:55 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,742 Posts
Quote:
Sandancer, how did you get the cockpit off of the canopy to exchange the pilots?

And how did you get 2 pilots, did yours come that way?

patsy
I haven't gotten the second pilot back from Greg yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troadus View Post
Sandancer one question, How did you get that pilot in the cockpit? I just received my kit and looking at the canopy and can not see how you did it...Good job But tell me how.....smile

Leon
Find a opening some where between the canopy and the cockpit where it's not glued down good. Start at that point and slide a hobby knife in and slowly cut the rubber glue loose lifting the canopy up as you go. Eventually you'll get to a point where the canopy will lift right off. Take your time 'cuz you don't want to cut the foam or scratch the paint.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2011, 05:42 AM
Joined Jul 2007
8,890 Posts
So the pilot is 1/8th ?
Zootster is offline Find More Posts by Zootster
Old Jul 01, 2011, 06:40 PM
Norman, Ok
Joined Jun 2007
49 Posts
Help with identification of this piece

Can anyone tell me what this extra piece is for? It seems to be left over in the kit!

patsy
Old Jul 01, 2011, 11:08 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootster View Post
So the pilot is 1/8th ?
Yes it's 1/8 scale. If you scroll down to the next thread I have more pics on the Squadron of Pilots.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2011, 11:11 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,742 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone tell me what this extra piece is for? It seems to be left over in the kit!

patsy
It's a flap door that is glued on the underside of the fuse next to the the nose gear doors on the port side. There should be an indention where it goes.
RCG Plus Member