HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2011, 08:17 PM
Joined May 2011
9 Posts
Discussion
Inside info needed on Halfa-Works.com

Found this site around Nov. last year when I got my Sig Hummer. I really wanted to power my plane with there Skyline .049. Has anyone out there bought any .049's from Halfa-Works, I'v been trying for 7 long months to see If I could get both .049's they have but no luck. Can anyone help me out. Thanks everyone for your time. Frank aka Nocturnal Flyer
Nocturnal Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Nocturnal Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2011, 08:35 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
They have a few pretty pictures and talk big about the rear drum valve but don't offer any supporting evidence. You apparently can't buy most of what they show pictures of. The talk of their shortened lightened piston sounds like a crock to me. That just means it has the short type piston needed for sub-piston-induction with the newer slit exhaust cylinders. You can get that combo from www.coxengines.ca. Just click on the performance products.

So, what, are they not answering your e-mails? Have you sent them any money? They should come here if they have anything worthwhile.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Jun 08, 2011, 08:41 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,485 Posts
They sell some parts but no engines. Sorry.
I am not sure they sell parts anymore either. They could have quit but left the website there until the contract ends and it gets taken back from them.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My homemade Hexacopter build
Old Jun 08, 2011, 09:31 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,582 Posts
The site is/was owned by Tim Wiltse. He was real active over in RCU for several years, did quite a bit of anodizing and some engine tuning and modification. Apparently he went thru some difficult times both financially and personally and dropped out of sight. There were some rumors of unfilled orders after payments were made and an inability to contact him. You can always search on author Tim Wiltse-RCU in RCU for posts. The last post I found there was in December, 2009. It is possible that he is posting under a different name. Or, you can search for the keyword: Wiltse.

I've never ordered from the site, so I cannot vouch personally about ordering; my comments were only gleaned from other postings.

andrew
Andrew0820 is online now Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Jun 08, 2011, 09:56 PM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
Back when Tim was active on the boards, he was very enthusiastic about 1/2a flying and Cox engine performance in particular. This was before Cox Int. made the scene. I own several engines, heads, etc that he made for me. One of his Skyline .049s has powered my Skydrill for several years and tons of flights. He used to make the 1/2a fly-in scene on the east coast. Unfortunately, he was in a bad car wreck suffering some injuries, followed by financial difficulties, mostly dropped from the scene for a while. He made a few brief appearances on the boards claiming that he wanted to set things right with those he may have owed money or engines to. He seemed to disappear again and noone 'round here can find him. I feel for those who feel wronged but I also hope he's ok. The guy was once one of "us", building planes and machining parts for the engines we love. I'd love to see him return to the scene, get squared up with folks, and resume contributing around here like previous years.
Tee Bee is offline Find More Posts by Tee Bee
Last edited by Tee Bee; Jun 08, 2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 12:10 AM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
722 Posts
Took me for $90 . Don't waste your time with crooked dealers .

Mike 1484
Mike1484 is offline Find More Posts by Mike1484
Last edited by Mike1484; Jun 10, 2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Removed my personal feelings
Old Jun 09, 2011, 02:04 AM
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1484 View Post
I hope the rat bastard is in jail...
Well, at least now I don't feel quite as bad about the critical tone of my post.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 02:45 AM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
I wasn't defending his recent business transactions, don't get me wrong. It's a shame that his customer satisfaction has come down to this level. I was just pointing out that his head injury seems to have been a catalyst for the changes in his modeling activities, business practices, and evidently his personal life. A business should not accept payment for items that can't be delivered and I feel sorry for those who have lost money on such transactions.

The engines that he sold me during his Hypercolor days were works of art and have run top notch. He used to email me to follow the long-term performance of my 1st Skyline .049. I still haven't run my drum rotor Mangusta DR 049 but I hope to install it on an upcoming 1/2A speedster project if it works well. I don't suppose many of those were sold. Haven't heard of anyone else on the boards running one.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 08:32 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,582 Posts
Tee Bee's assessment mirrors mine.

Tim was on the way to building up a business that could become his primary source of income --- when he started, it was a home shop operation evenings and weekends. Like Tee Bee said, he did excellent work and was a stand-up guy. He got a divorce and all his equipment was tied up in the settlement, including the shop, so production halted. Near the time he was able to recover his machinery and start to move to another location, he was involved in the car wreck. At that point, I think life just folded in on him.

It's an unfortunate situation all the way around. A number of folks ended up holding an empty bag after prepaying for an engine; Tim's reputation as a businessman tanked; a potential contributor to a niche industry simply disappeared.
Andrew0820 is online now Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Jun 09, 2011, 08:35 AM
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
I'd like to hear how the performance of the DR compares with the reed valve, considering the rough dirt eating life of a half A engine (well at least mine live a rough life).
Old Jun 09, 2011, 12:08 PM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
Since I'm the only one I know who has a Mang DR, I guess it'll be up to me to find out. It seems there's never a shortage of projects and never enough time to do the things you intend to. I doubt it's a magical engine, though it's the most expensive Cox unit I own. It's going to be difficult to make myself run it since it's become such a rare conversation piece in the 1/2A world. Hopefully it will equal a TD in performance. But then again, my Skyline reedies would spin like TDs with the right props on them. Seems I was having to reset the piston/rod after every few flights with an APC 4.2x4 so I slowed it down a bit with a Cox 5x3. If you spin them too fast, the overall wear increases exponentially. Since I only fly for leisurely sport, I try not to kill them too quickly with high nitro and high-revving props. I usually use Sig Champion 25% nitro with some extra castor added. It keeps all sizes of Cox engines firing adequately without undue stress.

When I get around to using the Mangusta DR, I'll be sure to post some info on it.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 12:43 PM
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Bee View Post
Since I'm the only one I know who has a Mang DR, I guess it'll be up to me to find out. It seems there's never a shortage of projects and never enough time to do the things you intend to. I doubt it's a magical engine, though it's the most expensive Cox unit I own. It's going to be difficult to make myself run it since it's become such a rare conversation piece in the 1/2A world. Hopefully it will equal a TD in performance. But then again, my Skyline reedies would spin like TDs with the right props on them. Seems I was having to reset the piston/rod after every few flights with an APC 4.2x4 so I slowed it down a bit with a Cox 5x3. If you spin them too fast, the overall wear increases exponentially. Since I only fly for leisurely sport, I try not to kill them too quickly with high nitro and high-revving props. I usually use Sig Champion 25% nitro with some extra castor added. It keeps all sizes of Cox engines firing adequately without undue stress.

When I get around to using the Mangusta DR, I'll be sure to post some info on it.
Well don't de-value it just for the sake of our curiosity. I wonder how well the drum valve interacts with SPI.
The wildest prop I've ever used was a 5-4, and compared to the 6-3 it replaced, it was like flying a rocket.
For some reason, no matter how many and how lightly I tap on a piston with my coxengines.ca reset tool, it's a stiff fit going back in. The head is obviously slightly mushroomed. I'm not ham handed, I have a great deal of experience working with tiny mechanics, so I avoid doing it until I absolutely have to. So a 5" is as small as I ever use.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 08:44 PM
Joined May 2011
9 Posts
WOW,thats alot of inside info,thanks to all but one and Ill get to that later. First off my heart truly goes out to Mr.Tim I hope all is going well with you. Thanks for all you have done for 1/2a. Rusty,never had a chance to send any money nobody was ever home.TeeBee,not fair teaseing us with your DR I hope everything works out for you thats one sweet .049. Now to Mr.Mike1484 really,rat bastered this is my thead and that was totaly uncalled for. If it will make you fell better Ill start a new thread "please donate whatever you can so Mike1484 can get his $90 back"Ill start it off by pitching in $5. Thanks to all for your time. Frank aka Nocturnal Flyer
Nocturnal Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Nocturnal Flyer
Old Jun 10, 2011, 03:41 AM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
For those who weren't around a few years ago, here's some more unobtanium. I just love these little engines. Note the custom prop drivers, turbo plug heads, machined cases, and cylinder mods. The pistons, rods, cranks, and intakes are modded as well for more performance. They are very smooth-running and powerful reedies. It's odd that I never got around to running the blue Skyline since I waited anxiously for so long for Tim to make it for me. Someday, when the timing is right, and the right model airplane finds itself sitting on the bench..........
Last edited by Tee Bee; Jun 10, 2011 at 03:46 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:21 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,259 Posts
There is an Ebay seller who offers very similar engines. Tim would say he stole the ideas. I won't buy from him though.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz