HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2011, 03:07 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Yeah I broke my ankle getting a plane once, and I was very disappointed in myself. It wasn't a bad decision - who knew my ankle couldn't handle a 1 foot fall?

Why is there a fine? Is it a protected bird habitat or something? And why would gliders be allowed?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2011, 03:11 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin_J View Post
Dave, I've searched that entire area except for on top of the ledge, I tried climbing up there yesterday and turned around after scaring myself, but if I knew my plane was up there I could definitely get it.
Hmm, well, that would be the spot, so as others have said, maybe it was picked up? You could post flyers, but if you weren't supposed to be there then maybe it's not worth the trouble.

So far I've found the EzOSD GPS tracking to work well for finding a downed plane (iTelemetry iPhone app works superbly). As you said it sounds like you won't have a plane anytime soon, but I recommend some type of GPS tracking if possible to maximize the potential for recovery. While it adds to the cost, it can save you money in certain situations depending on how you look at it.

RTH feature is also a nice bell to have. I have no experience with this yet tho.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Jun 09, 2011, 03:59 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Looks like the plane took a dive and did a half loop when the vid lost. If you have no luck try finding it straight down where u lost signal and keep searching backwards on.
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Jun 09, 2011, 05:49 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
I'm gonna stay safe. I've done a lot of mountaineering and rock climbing before and know how to stay safe. Won't be doing it alone either. Though if you wanna send that plane then I'm all for it! :P

Actually though, Sentry from FPVLabs has already set me up with a brand new ARF EZ Star from readymaderc.com so that's pretty awesome!

jasmine, RCs of any kind are banned in a lot of parks and open space.
Vitamin_J is offline Find More Posts by Vitamin_J
Old Jun 09, 2011, 05:50 PM
Joined May 2011
6 Posts
I don't know why, but I am kind of obsessed with analyzing this video! Google maps was pretty disappointing, but Google Earth is downright scary! Comparing the video to the Google Earth view, I think others have pointed out the right general area. Since it obviously isn't right out in the open, I am guessing the remains are either wedged into the rock crevices or possibly in the larger tree.

Good luck!

Note to self: If I ever get around to building my own plane, paint it bright orange!

Edit: Damn, on closer look in Google Earth, that rocky/bushy area looks pretty nasty too! If you went straight into that at high speed, it could be almost impossible to find unless you step on it!
JBeloncik is offline Find More Posts by JBeloncik
Old Jun 09, 2011, 05:52 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
I'm gonna stay safe.
Good ...

Quote:
Actually though, Sentry from FPVLabs has already set me up with a brand new ARF EZ Star from readymaderc.com so that's pretty awesome!
Downright fantastic!

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:10 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeloncik View Post
I don't know why, but I am kind of obsessed with analyzing this video! Google maps was pretty disappointing, but Google Earth is downright scary! Comparing the video to the Google Earth view, I think others have pointed out the right general area. Since it obviously isn't right out in the open, I am guessing the remains are either wedged into the rock crevices or possibly in the larger tree.

Good luck!

Note to self: If I ever get around to building my own plane, paint it bright orange!

Edit: Damn, on closer look in Google Earth, that rocky/bushy area looks pretty nasty too! If you went straight into that at high speed, it could be almost impossible to find unless you step on it!
I'm actually thinking someone found it based on that path to the right of the picture you posted (going top to bottom of the pic to the right of your circles). Hopefully it's hidden in some bushes, but the area doesn't look so remote people are't out there. That trail tells me people are on that every day. And chances are someone could have been out there when it happened and watched or heard it go down. White foam sticks out amongst green when on the ground. If it was visible from the trail I bet someone grabbed it.

We all agree on the spot, and the spot is pretty small considering other searches I've helped on, if you can't find it on a few trips, it may not be there. Still, there might be some evidence of foam cause it didn't look like it was gliding in softly. Who knows?

Oh yeah, and if you find it, you must document it's lying position, and anything that will show the area and how close we may have been on it's whereabouts. I've found that LOS guys tend to think the plane went further than it really did... hard to say on FPV.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Jun 09, 2011, 08:02 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
I've looked everywhere in that image except on top of the ledge. Not in the trees or bushes. I was there minutes after it went down and no one passed for an hour or so. I've been out there just about every day this week and have only seen a handful of people on that trail. It's not an open field either, it's a rocky slope on the side of a mesa.
Vitamin_J is offline Find More Posts by Vitamin_J
Old Jun 09, 2011, 09:16 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
I watched the video pretty close. The rocks part down below was the last thing I seen as it rolled over and headed down. I marked the rocks Im talking about with a small hand drawn circle. The path I think the plane took, and the area that I would look in with the bigger circle.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Jun 09, 2011, 09:17 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Take some friends with you and look just southwest of the rocky patch and in the trees.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Jun 10, 2011, 03:30 AM
FPV = Fun Powered Vehicle
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
168 Posts
That's to bad Vitamin.
Do you remember what control inputs you were giving it when video signal was lost? Did you cut the throttle instantly? The radio control of the plane was probably still receiving.

What are the chances that the plane leveled back out and flew on its own for awhile?

Did you take your goggles off when the video cut out to be sure it didn't head west?

I've also studied the film and have a couple of spots I'd like to check.

I would be willing to help look on foot. When are you going out next? Send me a PM if you would like an extra man on the ground.

Cheers
LokeyFPV is offline Find More Posts by LokeyFPV
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:43 AM
Joined May 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LokeyFPV View Post
That's to bad Vitamin.
Do you remember what control inputs you were giving it when video signal was lost? Did you cut the throttle instantly? The radio control of the plane was probably still receiving.

What are the chances that the plane leveled back out and flew on its own for awhile?

Did you take your goggles off when the video cut out to be sure it didn't head west?

I've also studied the film and have a couple of spots I'd like to check.

I would be willing to help look on foot. When are you going out next? Send me a PM if you would like an extra man on the ground.

Cheers
Thats a good point! I was assuming it rolled and went straight into the ground, but who knows! It may very well have veered away from where we are all assuming it went in. Did you actually hear it hit?
JBeloncik is offline Find More Posts by JBeloncik
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:05 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
I finally watched the video last night... it was super high up when you lost it - it could be in Kansas for all we know. An aerial search does seem like a good idea.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:24 PM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
Jasmine and Lokey are right, it was rolling when you lost video, it could have kept corkscrewing and gotten more distance, I would look a little farther along that projected flight path than just on the other side of that rock peak.
volto is offline Find More Posts by volto
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:36 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
So planes aren't allowed in the parks? Ok. You know how to get around that? Fly from your car. It's not easy, but it can be done with proper planning. You are going to want a fairly directional antenna to eliminate the multipth interference from the car body. Also, be prepared to move the car, so having an alternative landing spot is important. You also MUST have an OSD onboard the scout plane.

You need 3 people:

A pilot
A spotter
A co pilot

The pilot and spotter are obvious. The co pilot switches between a second screen, spotting the area, and looking out for local probems. The co pilot is the coordinator.

Pull off the side of the road where there is room to land the plane. Set the whole thing up on the roof of your car. When the coast is clear, launch. The pilot and copilot get back inside the car, the spotter is outside watching. The copilot's job is to search for the downed plane. The pilot's job is to fly it. Make a few passes of the area and turn home before your battery gets low. Be prepared to ditch the plane early. When flying out to the location, look for a good alternative landing site away from the road. This way you can set the scout plane down inconspicuously.

If I were within 3 hours of you, I'd drive down there and we'd get your plane back.

Having a 4th person on the ground near the proposed crash site (preferrably on a radio, not a cell phone) would be extremely helpful, especially if you need to make an emergency landing.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy