SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Do you think Global Warming is caused by Mankinds burning of fossil fuels?
Yes, it is caused by fossil fuels 190 32.99%
Not sure 72 12.50%
No it is not cause by fossil fuels 314 54.51%
Voters: 576. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 08, 2011, 11:56 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Poll
Do you think Global Warming is caused by Mankinds burning of fossil fuels?

Have you noticed how extreme the weather has become in the last 20 years? Snow in Texas, Tornados in Massachusetts. Heat waves running rampant, Drought and wildfires. Just watch the news. How about how windy it is at the flying field everyday. Last year was my first year flying RC airplanes and everyday was windy, I could only get a calm flight if I went at sunup. And please dont say Al Gore made the whole thing up.
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 08, 2011, 11:59 AM
Starring as Devils Advocate
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Have you noticed how extreme the weather has become in the last 20 years? Snow in Texas, Tornados in Massachusetts. Heat waves running rampant, Drought and wildfires. Just watch the news. How about how windy it is at the flying field everyday. Last year was my first year flying RC airplanes and everyday was windy, I could only get a calm flight if I went at sunup. And please dont say Al Gore made the whole thing up.
VP
I don't think burning Fossil Fuels is helping at all if you believe the vast majority of scientists. That being said good luck with this topic, not to many science majors or even fans around here it seems.
redhotpearl is offline Find More Posts by redhotpearl
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:04 PM
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
254 Posts
Michael Mann made it up, Egore is just a opportunist .

"if you believe" I believe a lot of scientist have jumped ship on that one.

East Anglia emails under the rug cause global warming

"not to many science majors or even fans around here it seems"
I'm not a big fan of scare tactic type manipulation for government funding and control.
debogus is online now Find More Posts by debogus
Last edited by debogus; Jun 08, 2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:09 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by debogus View Post
Michael Mann made it up, Egore is just a opportunist .

"if you believe" I believe a lot of scientist have jumped ship on that one.

East Anglia emails under the rug cause global warming
I believe Egore is an opportunist, but I dont believe anyone "made it up" except Mankind itself.
VP
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:16 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Let's just say I don't think we can rule out entirely the influence that the extra CO2 has on recent global mean temperatures. There seems to be a certain amount of fossil record supporting this trend.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
VP
Hi Pete ,

If you look back in history , Hurricanes , Tornados , or whatever bad weather we have has always been here , , , Its just SO infrequent that when it does as much damage and gets as much attention as recently , people think its something new . Back in the 1930s there was a really ugly storm that wrecked lots of property , and also in the 1950s i think ? Dont forget to factor in the fact that such tragedys are much more public thanks to TV news , than they were in those years past , and it only seems like this is a new trend .

I think a study of the weather patterns would indicate a more cyclic nature to the incidents of bad weather , rather than an all of a sudden increase in one or another type of weather pattern .

I sure know i'd like to see a whole lot more of honest studys BEFORE another dime goes down the rathole known as "Man Made Global Warming" , , Thats for sure .......

init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:23 PM
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
254 Posts
"honest studys", how would that get any funding ?
debogus is online now Find More Posts by debogus
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:26 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,709 Posts
Quote:
Have you noticed how extreme the weather has become in the last 20 years? Snow in Texas, Tornados in Massachusetts. Heat waves running rampant, Drought and wildfires.
Last 20 years? How about weather extremes over the last 50 years? How 'bout 100, 1,000, 20 million years? Weather extremes happen, if they didn't, the planet would be lifeless.

A deadly tornado killed nearly 100 in Mass. in the 50's - that seems a bit more extreme than the recent one.

I answered no to your poll - just in case your wondering.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:28 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
The temperature has skyrocketed less than 1 degree F. in the last 100 years.

Since human contact (approximately 200 AD) the sea level on Oahu has dropped about 30 feet. Where I live was a sandy beach with waves. Now it is the side of a hill and the ocean is a half mile away. (and 30 feet lower).

Banker friend in Nigeria needs to give you a million dollars!
The more you buy the more you save!
Leading scientists all agree!
No salesman will call!
Press one for customer assistance!

When you hear a politician say anything, ..hold on to you wallet. When a group of them are selling you some concept that is "extremely urgent" ....run the other way as fast as you can.

This is a con job, Leading scientists don't agree about anything, ...and they certainly don't gather at the "international save the panda" headquarters to do their agreeing.
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by debogus View Post
"honest studys", how would that get any funding ?
Hi debogus ,

Not a bad question , , , , But like the question of wether we are or arent screwing up the weather , I'll have to leave that to the Experts in those fields . Id like to think that an honest study or two should be possible before we go creating TOO many more "Global Warming Millionaires" like fat AL . The money people , , just like the scientists , , are gonna have to take the bull by the horns and get it done right .

How can we dump $$$$ on cures for a problem that we're not even 100% sure exists ? All this crap about "carbon credits" and so fourth , , , , , Shamefull to take financial advantage of people's fears like that
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
I answered no to your poll - just in case your wondering.
I answered "Im not sure" , , , just to have my all my bases covered ......
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:36 PM
Joined Apr 2008
77 Posts
Quote:
VP
I wish I knew what to believe. There do seem to be some changes in global climate, but I have a hard time believing that there is enough scientific data to draw the firm conclusion that it is caused by burning fossil fuels.
After all, scientists state with certainty that 10,000 years ago the place where I live was covered in several thousand feet of ice. It seems reasonable to conclude that there were some rather radical climate changes between then and now which resulted in current conditions. These changes occurred prior to the widespread use of fossil fuels. Therefore, since it is a certainty that vast climatic changes happened before the use of fossil fuels, it doesn't seem unreasonable to believe that we are simply experiencing more of the same.
Rufcut is online now Find More Posts by Rufcut
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljimb0 View Post
The temperature has skyrocketed less than 1 degree F. in the last 100 years.

Since human contact (approximately 200 AD) the sea level on Oahu has dropped about 30 feet. Where I live was a sandy beach with waves. Now it is the side of a hill and the ocean is a half mile away. (and 30 feet lower).

Banker friend in Nigeria needs to give you a million dollars!
The more you buy the more you save!
Leading scientists all agree!
No salesman will call!
Press one for customer assistance!

When you hear a politician say anything, ..hold on to you wallet. When a group of them are selling you some concept that is "extremely urgent" ....run the other way as fast as you can.

This is a con job, Leading scientists don't agree about anything, ...and they certainly don't gather at the "international save the panda" headquarters to do their agreeing.
ElJim's last two paragraphs , , , Perfect !

I wonder if Pandas taste like chikken ????
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:47 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufcut View Post
I wish I knew what to believe. There do seem to be some changes in global climate, but I have a hard time believing that there is enough scientific data to draw the firm conclusion that it is caused by burning fossil fuels.
After all, scientists state with certainty that 10,000 years ago the place where I live was covered in several thousand feet of ice. It seems reasonable to conclude that there were some rather radical climate changes between then and now which resulted in current conditions. These changes occurred prior to the widespread use of fossil fuels. Therefore, since it is a certainty that vast climatic changes happened before the use of fossil fuels, it doesn't seem unreasonable to believe that we are simply experiencing more of the same.
Of course climate change happens naturally, I understand the old Ice Age. But what we are talking about here is millions and millions of years worth of plant life decaying (Fossil Fuels) being burned in 1 century, there is so much more C02 in the atmosphere now, how can that be challenged?
VP
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:53 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
I see a pattern here, even though the poll is 6/9. There only seems to be the naysayers who are very self confidently replying, interesting.
VP

PS I hear you Looooeeeee!