I see the airframe parts are NOT JIT items
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2011, 05:28 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
I got two Hawks and three EDFs as soon as they were listed. Big advantage living in Australia as we get to see the new items as they are listed.
Mine has already been shipped... fastest shipping ever!
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Oct 28, 2011, 05:39 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
Rain delay here guys.....
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Oct 28, 2011, 05:43 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
Tell me about it... been raining all evening and morning here. Only just stopped and now it's windy too.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:24 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
What the heck. I got my T-45 today and it's quite the little plane, pilots and all. BUT..... we will see where this goes because mine was damaged. I have communicated with CS at HK, and sent the requested Email with photos.

The bottom of the foam container had a pretty huge hole knocked out of it. Someone either at the factory, HK, EMS, or USPS placed white packing tape over the hole to hide it pretty darn good. If this damage was from HK, the tape was not enough to keep the whole corner of the box from flexing. Or the hole came from penetration by a pretty heavy object. There was none of the damaged foam still in my box, so that had been removed before the white tape thing.

This jet will never fly at this point. Right wing root jagged tear 3/4" way through. The wing between the tear and the outboard side of the aileron was crushed and wrinkled. The aileron is all but torn off, and this tear is jagged so it will never be repaired right. Last the wing tip outboard from the aileron is bent down 6+ degrees, and has a nasty twist.

I've been ill, and will not take a new model and cut everything apart, buy replacement parts, etc, when it wasn't my fault. I'm a good builder and just trying to fix it would be less than satisfactory because it's beyond normal procedures.

I'll report what CS has to say in response when I hear back....
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Oct 29, 2011, 01:30 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
Something big and nasty squashed that for sure! It's been patched up long after it left HK.

I was suspicious of the way the Parcel guy handed me my box. He seemed to make sure it was face up, so I stood there swinging it around and checked every side and back for damage or compression before signing for it.

Just as an aside Fred - those ailerons will tear away like that - not in a smooth line as you may think. My 50mm has started peeling away like that but that's from wear - not tear...
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:16 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
NC, I wonder if your parcel guy is the same as mine? He's a glider guy, and when my Viper came in all smashed up, he actually told me to open it in the back of the van...

I wonder if the trend of packaging being substandard is real, or just more people are ordering, therefore reporting?
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Oct 29, 2011, 03:48 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
The packaging is fine if they don't put it on the bottom of a pile of garden tools. Mine survived quite nicely - hardly a dent in the foam bottom and the top was quite smooth still. You'd have to puncture the box to damage it, like Freds.

My parcel guy is a Russian/Croatian sounding thin dude with glasses. He only does the local area here from what I can tell.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 04:11 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,059 Posts
Receiving a model in that state sucks. But.... those jagged EPO tears glue perfectly with a small drop of regular CA. The wing tip can be bent back up without heat. 5 Minutes and she will look good as new!
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Oct 29, 2011, 08:12 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Thanks guys. But when you have been ill, which tests your patience anyway, and you spend discretionary money in short supply, it is not ok to be the recipient of that, "as new".

I too have my share of parts that show up which don't work NIB. I usually just chalk it up to percentages and absorb the loss because of all the trouble. Not this time. This will be the one that makes up for all the others, or it will be forcefully deposited where the Sun don't shine, or sacrificed by fire.

Usually takes a lot, but once I'm there, it's like a hard headed German. I'll stand fast to the death for a cause. Hope you guys all get yours in good shape. My wife accepted the parcel because I was laid out resting, but I don't think I would have really seen the 'repair' depending on the light. Its worse when you screw with someone I love.
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:52 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
I have the Stryker and it flies exactly like the larger one, which I also have. It can do everything just like the bigger one. I also have the 35mm MIG-15. The mini Q is a lot more fun. My mini Mig needed a lot of trim and it tip stalled easy on 2s. 3s is a lot better and a lot of fun but, it needs a new ESC to handle the 3s. The mini Q flies perfect right out of the box.....it is more expensive though.

They are both fun and they really are different. For the fun factor and if I could only get one....I'd get the mini Q.
Reading your post got me interested in the UM stryker, and I read the 160 page thread on it since then. I got the UM stryker a few days back and maidened it this morning and it was great! (i have the video up in the UM stryker thread)

Going back to the original question that you answered on what to choose between the 35mm T-45 or the UM stryker, I would choose the UM stryker too.
I have unsuccessfully launched the Mig 29 (again!) this morning and am getting bored of trying. I then flew one pack on the 35mm F86, and about 8 packs on the UM stryker. I like that you can go fast and slow on the UM stryker. I was easily getting 10 minutes flight times on it, compared to 3 mins on my F86. It also handled the wind much better.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:57 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,704 Posts
So sorry to post this video AGAIN but it may help you with the launch of the Mig 29? Watch the launch of the nano Mig 15 ...While it is not difficult, it does take a slightly different hand launch technique .. mainly, keep the nose down as much as possible?

Sony AX2000 Smoth Slow Record Mode Sample Clips (1 min 7 sec)
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:02 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,704 Posts
I have samples of the five new nanos in-bound now!

Camera gear batteries are all charging NOW!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2011, 04:12 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
Crikey Jon!

I'm off to maiden the Hawk in a few minutes.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 05:52 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
So sorry to post this video AGAIN but it may help you with the launch of the Mig 29? Watch the launch of the nano Mig 15 ...While it is not difficult, it does take a slightly different hand launch technique .. mainly, keep the nose down as much as possible?
Thanks for posting that video Jon. I appreciate any help.
I did get the mig29 in the air on the 3rd throw yesterday but wasn't able to trim it out. it was going nose down and elevator up seems to throw it into a cobra attitude and stall the plane. did this a few times and switched to low rates. eventually, it ended 100m in the field with long grass.
I believe this is due to setting the ailerons and the elevator to max throws, so when I pulled the elevons, the ailerons acted like air brakes. I will reduce the aileron throws the next time out.
I am getting closer to figuring out how to launch it, but gone further away from the ideal set up.

Looking forward to see your videos on it. Let us know which one you like best.

Nitrocharged, I am subscribing to your youtube channel. looking forward to the video.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre