HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:08 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
I would think it was not that long ago we would have loved a white foam chuck glider converted to anything that looked like an airplane. Even more if it was powered by anything smaller than a 40mm it was too cool. Most only made flat plate profile pusher jets, sometimes an EDF was installed....

Now we get to buy fairly durable 35mm jets, in multiple deigns, full living color with decals, outfitted with gear, all under $100 shipped to the door!

I'm happy with the looks of these very small jets if they fly well! Anyone with minimal building skills can change the looks a little with a knife, glue, tape, and a paint brush.

Wish I could own them all!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:48 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
I would think it was not that long ago we would have loved a white foam chuck glider converted to anything that looked like an airplane. Even more if it was powered by anything smaller than a 40mm it was too cool. Most only made flat plate profile pusher jets, sometimes an EDF was installed....

Now we get to buy fairly durable 35mm jets, in multiple deigns, full living color with decals, outfitted with gear, all under $100 shipped to the door!

I'm happy with the looks of these very small jets if they fly well! Anyone with minimal building skills can change the looks a little with a knife, glue, tape, and a paint brush.

Wish I could own them all!

Fred
You're right, back in the balsa monokote days, most of those "scale" were horrendous. I'm spoiled nowadays with these foams. While I understand the need for more air intake for the sake of performance, it can be solved by cheater holes. There is a camp out there that abhor cheaters but I'm fine with it.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:07 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Same reason I passed on the 50mm Crusader and A-6. Take a look at these grotesque cartoons by the same designer - he obviously loves basking whale sharks.
It's kinda funny seeing all these complaints about inlet size on the new jets - the F-86 inlet is WAY oversize, no one's said anything about that!
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:32 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,287 Posts
Apology

Okay Gents, I'm sorry. If the birds fly good, we should be greatful to have them, YES. But I can't help myself. Look at the YAP on that '16!!! I'll probably wait for the kit version to become available. Hate to waste money, when I know I'll change out the gear. Gents Enjoy!!! Progress for one, is progress for all. As I always say, Half Pints Rule!!!

Ksqm
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:32 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
It's kinda funny seeing all these complaints about inlet size on the new jets - the F-86 inlet is WAY oversize, no one's said anything about that!
That's because it is not as ugly as the F-16

Personally I don't care of scale ... but if it is looking ugly I care
And for me the F-16 with the huge inlet is ugly ... but ... taste is subjective, so don't try to argue that this is not ugly for me

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: Good luck that the MIG-29 is a double EDF, so price will be out of range, and I will not be tempted to buy it ...
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:29 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
phew..... OK - my eyes have returned their sight to me this morning....

The Squall intake shape on the F-16 looks easily fixable with some rolled depron.

Just waiting on the kit versions before buying up.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:52 PM
Joined Jun 2010
21 Posts
I love the various upgrades these new ones have, obviously the extra 3-blade, but like the servo horns up through the wings on the hawk(!), and the same control horn linkages as the 50mm's (The ones from the first batch were horrible)... it gives me hopes that these new ones won't arrive as warped as hell as my little MiG did. Early adopters let us know; I got bitten last time, so I'll wait on this round. But damned exciting to see these ready to order. Here's hoping all yours arrive in good shape...
Humanzee is offline Find More Posts by Humanzee
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:10 PM
Medellín, Colombia
Joined Apr 2010
333 Posts
Guys any tips on how to change safely the 6A esc to 10A?
chulian1819 is offline Find More Posts by chulian1819
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:13 PM
Joined Mar 2004
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
that's because it is not as ugly as the f-16 :d

personally i don't care of scale ... But if it is looking ugly i care :d
and for me the f-16 with the huge inlet is ugly ... But ... Taste is subjective, so don't try to argue that this is not ugly for me

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: Good luck that the mig-29 is a double edf, so price will be out of range, and i will not be tempted to buy it :d ...
+1
rcmtl is offline Find More Posts by rcmtl
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:03 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,431 Posts
Has there been any mention of pricing on the "twins?" -- MIG or A-10?
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:42 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
I just got the Mig from my LHS. The LHS owner said that he flew it this morning on 2S and it flew well and was easy to launch.

This is how big the mig is compared to the F86.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:02 AM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
I just got the Mig from my LHS. The LHS owner said that he flew it this morning on 2S and it flew well and was easy to launch.

Where is your LHS?
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Oct 15, 2011, 04:56 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post

It is looking very nice the Mig ... but I guess it will cost 20$ more for having 2 EDF in the PNF version

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Oct 15, 2011, 05:33 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,772 Posts
Judging from the pricing difference (at BananaHobby) between single and twin in 50mm, the PNF was 50-60% higher in price. So I'm guessing these twin will be between $90-$100. I probably would have gotten those twins in 50mm but they never offered ARF packaging.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Oct 15, 2011, 05:55 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,994 Posts
Too bad the Hog comes in the short lived, one-off experimental Peanut scheme - but it looks pretty good (scale) under that paint. Hopefully it will be easy to strip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy
Who cares! As along as it mkes up for the lack of scale by flying great. Yes it's not scale but, at 20' off the deck and 20' away while it's going 30+mph it'll look like a F-16.
Yes, the girls all get prettier at closing time - if that's the standard.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01