HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:37 PM
Joined Jun 2010
21 Posts
So my MiG arrived with one wing curled up, one curled down, and the tail at about a 30 degree angle off from vertical. Reglue and carbon fiber time. To clarify on JJ's earlier post on the connectors... anyone figure out how to solder up adapters to regular leads? Or can it be done? noobish Q
Humanzee is offline Find More Posts by Humanzee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:51 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
5,628 Posts
If you mean the servo leads, the best way for ordinary people like me is to solder the wires. That is get some plugs with wires that fit your Rx and cut off the SkyAngel Molex plugs and replace them by splicing the wires and covering with thin Heat Shrink if you have it.

Putting new JST type connectors on the servos directly is possible but very tricky. They are tiny and need a bit of practice and skill to crimp on or solder (which isn't recommended IMO as they become very prone to breakage where the solder bit ends). It is compounded here by the fact that there isn't much spare space to work in.

Another option would be to replace the servos with ones that fit your Rx.

By "regular" leads I assume you mean JST mini. Full size Futaba/JR/connectors are going to be a bit clumsy. There is very little space available unless you start carving bits off it.

My solution is even simpler. Use a Rx that has the correct connectors already. The FlyDream 1g Rx is perfect for these planes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanzee View Post
So my MiG arrived with one wing curled up, one curled down, and the tail at about a 30 degree angle off from vertical. Reglue and carbon fiber time. To clarify on JJ's earlier post on the connectors... anyone figure out how to solder up adapters to regular leads? Or can it be done? noobish Q
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:53 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,472 Posts
i ran up the 35mm EDF i got 90grams of thrust this EDF looks pretty good compared to the GWS fan because this one uses a nut to attach the impeller unlike the push on GWS type
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:02 PM
Joined Jun 2010
21 Posts
Thanks JJ; very informative; can't wait to see people start posting mods
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:03 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
will these fly on the rhino 360 2s lipos? or do we not know yet?
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:14 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,047 Posts
Just received my Mig. After reading about bad assembly it's the first thing I checked when I opened the box. The main wings are fine but the tail.....
Look at the attached pics. It's better now that I tried to straighten them a little. They were a lot worse. It's going to take some serious trimming to get this thing to fly straight.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Last edited by ozzi supercub; Jun 13, 2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:16 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanzee View Post
So my MiG arrived with one wing curled up, one curled down, and the tail at about a 30 degree angle off from vertical.

I hope this is just a horrid one of incident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza2003au View Post
i ran up the 35mm EDF i got 90grams of thrust ..
Well, I am real tickled about that result. How did it go on 3S? With the size of the motor it should handle 3S no problems and give a good 140 - 150g of thrust minimum.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:28 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
5,628 Posts
Mine arrived looking fine. But it hasn't flown yet. That's the test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post

jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:37 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,472 Posts
Quote:

Well, I am real tickled about that result. How did it go on 3S? With the size of the motor it should handle 3S no problems and give a good 140 - 150g of thrust minimum.
lol i havent tried 3S yet i only tried 500mah 2S and its a tad nose heavy and battery barely fits also i will have to run it without the canopy untill i get a smaller battery what a shame however it did say 370mah battery required i just tried using what i already had i will go test fly it soon and hopefully get it on video if it flies
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:38 PM
Joined Jun 2010
21 Posts
Quote:

Hate to say no; mine was the same. I'd post pics but I already took my crooked parts off; my tail looked worse than the pics as well. I'm just going to glue down little carbon fiber rods to straighten mine (same for the wings). Or you could try one of the various heat tricks.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:40 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,472 Posts
my tail on the sabre came as a V i hope thats how its ment to be LOL
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:42 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,047 Posts
Just a thought. I wonder if HK buys batches of models that almost but dont quite pass QC inspection. The 50mm jets had nothing like this going on.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:43 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,410 Posts
Quote:
How did it go on 3S? With the size of the motor it should handle 3S no problems and give a good 140 - 150g of thrust minimum.
Unlike the 50mm jets, I bet that the ESC won't handle the 3S load so you'll have to get something that will handle the extra load.

If the stock is 6A, it will probably be running close to 9A on 3S (or more?).

Anyway, has anyone tried connecting 3S battery? Does it beep twice on 2S?
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:45 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
Just a thought. I wonder if HK buys batches of models that almost but dont quite pass QC inspection. The 50mm jets had nothing like this going on.
im really wishing i had bought the 50mm model this 35mm model is just so small u cannot fit everything under the canopy
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:54 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,047 Posts
Gazza, I had the 50mm model and its exactly the same. I could barely fit what i wanted in the battery tray and ended up removing foam, cutting up the canopy and then epoxying the floor of the battery tray and even then it barely fit. The modern jet models are much better in this regard. If you want a nice Mig, get the A-RC on. Very well designed, can hold a huge battery and flies so good I get VERY excited everytime i fly it.

How did you get around the connector problem? Did you change all the plugs?