Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:44 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Made it into the country and in customs check here. Usually a day from Sydney so Tuesday/Wednesday is my bet.

Either way, whatever. Doesn't matter if you get it first if you don't put it together for a fortnight haha.

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: Currently 'In Transit'
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Last edited by boingk; Jun 13, 2011 at 12:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:30 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
I just checked my buddy's F86 today. the elevator link was at the outermost hole. It should have enough throw once it is moved to another hole.

Can't wait for mine to arrive
especially when I just lost my only EDF jet to a kite string a few hours ago.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:52 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,305 Posts
Mike,

That's good to hear since someone else said the elevator didn't have enough throw. I did figure that going to the outer hole on the servo arm and the inner hole on the elevator should take care of the "throw" problem in the worst case..

My tracking # still doesn't work. Takes 48hrs HK says
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:23 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,283 Posts
Servo connectors and such

Mine just arrived despite the public holiday and guess what?

Well HK got it wrong again and my earlier cynical comment on the connectors was correct - I don't believe it!

The connectors on these little planes are NOT Micro JST. Neither the micro or mini as used on the Spektrum AR 6400 and AR6300 respectively.
They have used the tiny Molex connector that is on the Futaba and Fly Dream micro receivers. Half way in size between the JST micro and mini.

Good news - it is the correct wiring polarity to plug straight into the FlyDream (I don't have a Futaba Rx to check ). These are the same connectors used on the HobbyKing 2.2 g servos.

The FlyDream IS-4RO is a perfect fit and all the connectors just plug in. There is space for the three small 2S that I tried. The Hyperion 240mAh rattles around (and is probably too small anyway). My Rhino 360 is a loose fit and new ThunderPower 65C 325mAh is a tight squeeze which is good as it holds it in place. If you insert it at an angle there is a cut away in the battery compartment it fits into. Obviously the best solution of the batteries I have, but removing the balance connector and wires would make it easier to fit. CG seems to be spot on with this battery. Have attached a picture - it's snug. Changed the supplied JST for a mini Deans

This is a little cutie and the ARF version will take only 10 minutes to get ready. Mainly finishing the control rod connections. One elevator hinge had been slightly over molded and broke away. Just needs a tape hinge. The rest were fine. Motor and fan seem to run very smoothly. All put together in less than half an hour of slowly paced work.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Last edited by jj604; Jun 13, 2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:45 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Good to hear mate, and thanks for the clarification on the supplied connectors.

On the JST connectors, not sure why you'd change out at this level of power draw. I've used them up to 12A continuous and 15A peak without problems, and they can handle up to 8A continuous without getting warm.

Anyway, good to hear you got your plane and keep us in the loop with how it flies.

Cheers - boingk
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:50 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,283 Posts
I already have mini Deans on all my small batteries and ESCs. Otherwise, I agree at these currents the JST are fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
On the JST connectors, not sure why you'd change out at this level of power draw.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:07 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
I wonder which connectors the new HK Orange Micro Rx's to go with these will have?
Anybodys guess really.......
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:10 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,283 Posts
Well there's a picture of a Rx in the manual for the plane. Doesn't look like any one I have seen and it's a bit blurry but it clearly uses the Futaba style connector. Mind you that would be no reason for HK to follow suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
I wonder which connectors the new HK Orange Micro Rx's to go with these will have?
Anybodys guess really.......
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:57 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
I already have mini Deans on all my small batteries and ESCs. Otherwise, I agree at these currents the JST are fine.
Ok, no worries. I just know a couple people who get semi-hysterical with JST's and claim all sorts of nonsense about them. 3A max current, melting at 6A, you name it!

- boingk
Old Jun 13, 2011, 02:26 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,194 Posts
I run 16A through my JST's without a problem. Have done so for years...
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jun 13, 2011, 03:19 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Nitro, you so crazy
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:30 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Ok, no worries. I just know a couple people who get semi-hysterical with JST's and claim all sorts of nonsense about them. 3A max current, melting at 6A, you name it!

- boingk
I guess they figure they are no good because they can unplug them w/o tools
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:32 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,305 Posts
JST's are perfectly fine for these applications. Nitro has used them up to 16A loads, me up to 10A loads. Nothing to worry
However, I once decided to only use micro deans and the "regular" ones so all my batt's/ leads are configured that way so I'll use micros on my Sabre.
Plugs are horror anyways, every manufacturer has their own preference and so do the modelers. I just once decided to go with deans and I intend to stick with those Standardized stuff is best in this case imo.
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:38 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,537 Posts
I'm reminded of a guy at an indoor location I flew at. A bone stock GWS Tiger Moth on 2-cell lipo using Deans Ultra connectors. He used 2 pairs of pliers to disconnect them. Sometimes he tore the battery, ESC, or both clean out of the plane when they let go.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:59 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,235 Posts
Had to fess up to the Misses, I had ordered my B'Day present. A F-86!!! She signed for it this afternoon. Only problem, may have to wait to play with it.. No problem, just need to balance a rotor and we're on final withmy 22mm.

Boingk, I get your point about a fortnight. May have to order some bats anyway.

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm