HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:28 PM
Avionics tech
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jun 2011
2,301 Posts
Thank you gentlemen. Box arrived from HK today. Got both the 2S and 3S varieties of the 430mah turnigy battery to play with. And the HK redbrick 10A 2s-3s ESC. Also got that AEO 35mm fan unit that I believe Nitro tested and wasn't happy with. It looks more like 40mm to me. Thought I might try to shoehorn that in sometime. What the heck. See what it does. Maybe I can make it work. Still need some stock impellers. BH is dragging their feet on them. Any help on those as well is appreciated.
52Sabre is offline Find More Posts by 52Sabre
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:17 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,059 Posts
I hope that red brick ESC works.... The other HK brand 10A escs doesn't, thats why I tell everyone to get the Turnigy 10A.
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:18 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,301 Posts
MT-turnigy 10a was also ordered. should arrive soon.

Now I need a recommendation and a link for a programmable xmtr with adjustable rates. Nothing too pricey please.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:38 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,301 Posts
Tylev - You can fry the stock ESC with 3S. Best change it. The ESC wires are soldered to the motor. Wiggle the motor back and forth. It'll break free and then you can get at the ESC.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:31 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Gord, please help me to understand. what are the adjustments that you made to have differential with a 1 servo setup? Do you move the servo horn towards and past the hinge line? or do you move it away from the hinge line?
Thanks

edit: opps, i think it just hit me. the magic is in your plywood!
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Last edited by miketre; Aug 25, 2011 at 04:34 AM. Reason: found it!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 06:53 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,050 Posts
You are right though Mike. If you move the horn towards the back of the ail., it would also work. If the setup were on top of the wing, it would also work as is. In fact I have the setup on top of the wing on a Cox P47 Thunderbolt. I also took the mold flashing out of inlet and outlet. It justs adds drag to that 100 MPH velocity that your trying to get through the tube. At this high speed, it makes a big difference. On the MIG, I took the servo horn off and moved it a couple of notches towards the front of the wing to get the differential. Had to make longer pushrod wires for it too. Just need the wind to go down to test fly it again.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:14 AM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
297 Posts
Hi guys, I am quite tired of waiting for the Orange rx R415 from HK to come back in stock and I was thinking to get this combo:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Receiver_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5pcs_bag_.html

It is a 4ch orange rx with standard plugs, and as I think the servos in the MiG won't fit this I was thinking to get that extension, cut the plugs and solder them to the servo wire.
Would that work?
Could you please suggest otherwise a solution that might work for the R410 rx?

Thanks in advance

giovanni
gionir is offline Find More Posts by gionir
Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:47 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,050 Posts
Don't see why that wouldn't work. In fact I was going to do the same thing with the bigger, orange 6 ch rcvr, before the weeny one came along.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:07 AM
Halifax, NS
Joined Sep 2009
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gionir View Post
It is a 4ch orange rx with standard plugs, and as I think the servos in the MiG won't fit this I was thinking to get that extension, cut the plugs and solder them to the servo wire.
Would that work?
Could you please suggest otherwise a solution that might work for the R410 rx?
I'm also going to use the R410 in mine. At first, I was planning to cut off the micro servo connectors and crimp on standard servo pins. But, the wires on these servos are pretty small, 30 or maybe 32AWG. What I decided to do was to make up some micro female to standard servo male adapters. I ordered these micro servo extensions from BP Hobbies for making the adapters (still waiting for them). You can cut off the female end and add a standard servo connector to the other side. RC Connectors also sells these adapters already assembled. Not sure if any AUS suppliers might have the same thing.
karlpenney is offline Find More Posts by karlpenney
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:44 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,059 Posts
According to a post on HK's Facebook page the R415 receivers will be back in stock within the next week.
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:36 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
Won't the use of adaptors add unnecessary weight. Can't you just pop the connectors out of the plugs and push them on the RX pins individually. You only need to make sure you orient them correctly. I believe it's been discussed here before.
giuseppi is online now Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:01 PM
Halifax, NS
Joined Sep 2009
404 Posts
The adapters may add a couple grams, but I like the convenience.

I just pulled one of the micro connectors out of the housing and they are too small to fit on a standard servo pin.
karlpenney is offline Find More Posts by karlpenney
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:22 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
I was just looking at some, too. I'm sure with a bit of gentle persuasion they can be made to fit. And maybe a drop of solder for good measure. But, I do agree. With the plugs attached it is definitely more convenient.

g
giuseppi is online now Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Aug 25, 2011, 02:27 PM
Finland, Kaarina
Joined Jul 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre View Post
Tylev - You can fry the stock ESC with 3S. Best change it. The ESC wires are soldered to the motor. Wiggle the motor back and forth. It'll break free and then you can get at the ESC.
OK. With proper magnification glasses and double checking my order I discovered they are 2S.
So lets hope it flies on 2S. Some here seem skeptic. I got a CC Phoenix 10A ESC today but I won't have to install it then....
tylev is offline Find More Posts by tylev
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:11 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Won't the use of adaptors add unnecessary weight. Can't you just pop the connectors out of the plugs and push them on the RX pins individually. You only need to make sure you orient them correctly. I believe it's been discussed here before.
I did that and used heat shrink to hold the pins in place.
a little dicey applying a heat gun to your Rx....
if you decide to do this, be smarter than me and start with the connections on the inside and work your way out so you can get good heat to those servo connections more easily....
BlazingStar is online now Find More Posts by BlazingStar