Explain.
Figure it out!
giuseppi is online now Find More Posts by giuseppi
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:05 AM
Pyrmont, Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2000
260 Posts
SAbre - The steel rod is a nose weight normally pushed into the cannon area. It got dislodged in a crash and I stowed it in the canopy, forgot to take it out for the photo. Blue fuzzy patch is velcro loop for the battery

The guides are just a strip of tin. I cut them approx 2mm wide x 15mm from tin sheet but an aluminum soda can would work just fine I think. Pushed a hobby knife into the fin at the desired guide location, slot Al strip in and hit with CA, bend strip using fingers around pushrod checking that movement is free, then voila - flexing gone. I saw someone posted similar mod earlier using wire which is easy too.

Nitro- yep it aint the best with the RX there but it does look worse in the photo than in reality because of iphone pic. THe AR6300 is really small and the wires are pulled quite tight back into the bay. I'd try harder on a second airframe but it was more effort than I care for (got limited time and I give this llittle mig to my baby to play with sometimes!). Flies just great on 2S.

I'll take up your offer of building me a 180kph one though!
Tooly is offline Find More Posts by Tooly
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:44 AM
Avionics tech
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jun 2011
2,210 Posts
HK has the 6A ESC back in stock.

Giuseppi - friendly answer.
52Sabre is offline Find More Posts by 52Sabre
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:36 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre View Post
HK has the 6A ESC back in stock.

Giuseppi - friendly answer.
You should take the advice of those who suggest the 10amp ESC.
giuseppi is online now Find More Posts by giuseppi
Last edited by giuseppi; Aug 11, 2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:35 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,210 Posts
Giuseppi -I indicated that the Turnigy plush 6A was now in stock as a response to a previous comment that it was b/o. I wanted one to replace the stock unit that I smoked. As far as the thrust tube info was concern yes my friend thank you for that. I saved your instructions and will reference in the future. My apologies for not instantly acknowledging your efforts. The spoon - yes I have no idea how you would use that. You see I'm new on this planet. So explain . . do you heat up the spoon first? I mean just rubbing the back of a cold spoon on cold foam doesn't make much sense. And if the foam cells are already expanded out seems like it would be a miracle to shrink them back down again. So yeah 'for dummies' please.

Ordered 1 ea. Turnigy plush 6A, plush 10A and HK 8-10. I plan on using either the plush 10a or HK 8-10 for my F-86 3S experiments. The HK unit is listed as 3g lighter than the Turnigy. Now next dumb question: Will I need to change the rcvr for 3S? Or will the stock unit work ok?

Perfect evening for some flying. Unfortunately I've been working 7 days a week lately throwing cast iron around and feeding a CNC. Also I just had a tooth extracted and ran a temp 2 days later. Pretty beat. Lame excuses, eh? It's a pity as it is a very lovely night here just before sunset. I'm afraid I'd nod off at the stick.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 10, 2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:14 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,158 Posts
Good news

Anthony Hand (CEO Hobby King) has just confirmed that the new HK DSM2 micro Rx has the Molex 1.25mm connectors - that's the same as on the 35mm Mig and Sabre.

For Spektrum users you now have a plug and go solution for the PNF versions.

Cheap too.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...uct=18827&pb=1

$9.99

(I hope PNF is correct. All these bloody acronyms. I mean the one with all the servos fitted ready to fly out of the box that just needs RX and battery.)
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:57 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Anthony Hand (CEO Hobby King) has just confirmed that the new HK DSM2 micro Rx has the Molex 1.25mm connectors - that's the same as on the 35mm Mig and Sabre.

Cheap too.

$9.99

(I hope PNF is correct. All these bloody acronyms. I mean the one with all the servos fitted ready to fly out of the box that just needs RX and battery.)
Awesome news. I hope to use these in my indoor 3D planes as well. First the price is awesome but then the connectors work with std mini servo's!!! I just ordered a few. THANKS for posting this.
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:01 PM
United States, NJ, Rockaway
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Quote:

Cheap too.

$9.99

I just saw this posted in another thread. I wish this was out earlier this week when I purchase my MiG15 doh!. Oh well I will just have to wait until I have enough $ for another order to HK to get my MiG in the air. I am trying to jam a orange parkflyer receiver in there and having trouble getting it in with out major hackery
memnuts is offline Find More Posts by memnuts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:31 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,210 Posts
Very good. I will order one. Will they work with 3S? I see it lists 3.6-9v. I'm assuming the ESC knocks it down to the correct range? advise please.

My daily flyer >

Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 11, 2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:36 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Very good. I will order one. Will they work with 3S? I see it lists 3.6-9v. I'm assuming the ESC knocks it down to the correct range? advise please.

My daily flyer >
Yes the ESC's built in BEC powers the RX at the correct voltage.

BTW - a Honda Sabre by any chance?
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:18 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,158 Posts
If you use an ESC with a BEC it will. All of the small ESCs designed for 1S use I know of don't have BECs and everything just runs at battery voltage.

So for 3S you will need an ESC with BEC and it should be fine.
Quote:
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:11 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,210 Posts
OK very good. thanks for the info.

ducatirdr - Roadstar 1700. Our 35mm jets sit easily right in my tour trunk. It's nice being able to ride to flying site.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 11, 2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 04:48 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,158 Posts
I was wrong about this. And apologies it's OT but it's still interesting info.

Just noticed that the HK 5A 1S ESC has a switched BEC (regulator) and uses it to output a steady 5V at up to 0.5A for the Rx and servos. Very neat. Gets around the brown out problem very largely. Even if your motor pulls the LiPo cell down to 3.0V LVC, with any luck the receiver is still getting 5V. Fully programmable as well.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hless_ESC.html

Learn something every day.

Quote:
If you use an ESC with a BEC it will. All of the small ESCs designed for 1S use I know of don't have BECs and everything just runs at battery voltage.

So for 3S you will need an ESC with BEC and it should be fine.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:40 AM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,210 Posts
OK at this point in time I still am not sure just what the acronym "BEC" stands for. Google search gives me nothing.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:42 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
John, I also stack the regulator if I use more servo's so it doesn't fry. I simply solder another on top of the first to share the load.

Just about zero wind in the morning so Doppler on the Mig has a green light at the moment.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged