HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:09 PM
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
Well, I finally got the F-86 into the air yesterday. I fixed the torn aileron with some plastic from a coke bottle. It worked "ok". I managed 1/2 a curcuit before she landed on her belly by herself. I was at full throttle and full up elevator the entire time. I was using the stock battery and it was fully charged. NOW......I am missing a control arm linkage. Lost it on landing. How does one go about making one? Piano wire? While repairing that I may just go and tape all the control surface hinges so I dont lose anymore. I am not entirely happy with the plastic hinges.

I have to say, I am a 40year old novice pilot. I figured something like this would happen, and it is a learning curve. I have months of simulator time, but am just a bit dejected.
Flying Maus is offline Find More Posts by Flying Maus
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2011, 03:29 PM
Avionics tech
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jun 2011
2,301 Posts
Young one aren't you? Well I am a 58 year old novice jet pilot. Do not despair. The plastic from a coke bottle might be a bit too heavy material for your hinge. Something a bit thinner perhaps. Wow! At least you got it in the air, eh? Congrats! Call the outfit that sold you the plane. They may have replacement parts on hand and if your lucky send you one no charge. But yes they can be made out of piano wire. Usually at your hobby shop just make to same shape as other one. They should have micro clevis too. Full throttle and full up elevator? Did you leave the drop tanks mounted on under the wings? Mine flew nicely after removing those. If so try removing those, re-balancing and have another go. good luck.
52Sabre is offline Find More Posts by 52Sabre
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:15 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Maus, I lost mine first flight too. I replaced it with piano wire - no problems there.

I uploaded a video last night but when I checked this morning, something had gone wrong and I had no internet connectivity this morning so the upload failed. I'll try uploading again now. Be warned that it only appears a few times as I just had a static cam pointing at us flying.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:16 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
I made new linkages out of slightly larger diameter music wire and a cut up stock linkage for the aileron end. I didn't bother making them the same shape, they're just a straight run from the servo to the aileron.

I've got a z bend at each end, but they're two pieces joined with heat shrink tubing so that I didn't have to be perfect with the lengths and bends.

They seem to actually work better with the stock linkages and no real weight difference that I could measure (and my scale goes down to 0.1g).

As for performance, you have to give it time to build up speed before it'll climb. If you hand launch it and give it full up elevator it'll just mush forward and slowly descend. Give it a good toss and climb VERY gradually until it builds up speed, then let it climb.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:12 PM
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I made new linkages out of slightly larger diameter music wire and a cut up stock linkage for the aileron end. I didn't bother making them the same shape, they're just a straight run from the servo to the aileron.

I've got a z bend at each end, but they're two pieces joined with heat shrink tubing so that I didn't have to be perfect with the lengths and bends.

They seem to actually work better with the stock linkages and no real weight difference that I could measure (and my scale goes down to 0.1g).

As for performance, you have to give it time to build up speed before it'll climb. If you hand launch it and give it full up elevator it'll just mush forward and slowly descend. Give it a good toss and climb VERY gradually until it builds up speed, then let it climb.
Thanks for the helpful hints. I will try to find some suitable wire tomorrow. Hopefully the lhs will have something. I will try to get some height with my next launch after repairs.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:52 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,301 Posts
When you try this again try to get elevated a bit above your field. Back off on the up elevator trim. Not quite so much. Resist the urge to pull back on the stick too soon. When I did that it behaved exactly like you described. You just need to let it gain altitude and air speed gradually. Are those pylon tanks still attached? They need to be off if you really want to fly this thing.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 11:00 PM
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
Tanks are glued on. I wanted to protect the servo and linkages. The tanks won't come off without a fight. I will take all these hints into account.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 03:06 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Here's the video of the Mig15 maiden with the new power setup. The video is on an angle and static. Definitely need to watch it full screen or you won't see anything.

Timeline marks of interest to watch for are:
  • 1:01 - upwind run at half throttle
  • 2:53 - quick downwind run - may have to watch it a few times to catch sight of it on left side of screen
  • 3:40 - a nice pass
  • 3:56 - overtaking Strike3's Mig while running at half throttle, left side of screen

Skyangel 35mm EDF Mig 15 jet maiden after Power System upgrades (5 min 0 sec)

Old Aug 07, 2011, 03:46 AM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Pretty darned hard to see the little beasts... you can tell there is a good wind blowing (15-16kts) the keychain camera starts moving!
That thing really moves out Nitro, we will need to get a doppler reading on her
And you managed to get my landing...
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Old Aug 07, 2011, 05:06 AM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,301 Posts
Flying Maus

My F-86 behaved exactly like that until I pulled the tanks. They balanced to the aft and added drag. Ever watch a movie where they blow the tanks just prior to entering a dogfight? Why do they do that? Here > http://youtu.be/QGSU6H5zv4U You need to do the same or you'll never get into combat. Now grab your x-acto or razor blade and carefully do a little surgery and remove those suckers. Also take a moment to carefully clean up most of the old glue and junk from where they were mounted. Do that and then you'll find you can remove any nose weight you added. Now you should be able to move the battery slightly forward 1/4" or so that's enough. Cut a little piece of scrap foam out from something like the box it came in and glue that behind the battery to help keep it positioned. You'll find now your CG is still pretty much where it should be. Now she's a clean lighter aircraft. Get a new aileron control rod made out piece of piano wire about the same gauge as what it had. Take your time and when the conditions are right go out and shoot down some Migs. Remember your in control of your jet not the other way around.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 07:27 AM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
Hey that movie - "The Hunters"
Those Migs are actually F-84 Thunderchiefs!
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Aug 07, 2011, 03:41 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,301 Posts
Slaanesh -

Negative. The F-105 was the "chief". Those are F-84F Thunderstreak. Here > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republi..._Thunderstreak Of course your supposed to think their Migs.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 07, 2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 04:42 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,301 Posts
HK Red Brick ESC

Is this an acceptable replacement ESC for our 35mm jets > http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...k_10A_ESC.html Any weight difference between this and the 6A unit that comes with the ARF versions?
Old Aug 07, 2011, 07:13 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
If you want to replace the ESC with an equivalent, then this is the one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html
Old Aug 07, 2011, 08:42 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre View Post
Negative. The F-105 was the "chief". Those are F-84F Thunderstreak. Here > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republi..._Thunderstreak Of course your supposed to think their Migs.
Doh! I meant Thundersteak!

And the thing is I like the streak and not so much the chief for some reason.

The Thunderstreak seems to be rarely modelled.

EDIT: Well I had a quick look and found something.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Last edited by Slaanesh; Aug 07, 2011 at 08:53 PM.