Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 05, 2011, 02:25 PM
Avionics tech
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jun 2011
2,278 Posts
SonicRat

Who'd you order from? BH delivers within a week to Michigan using paypal. And that's UPS ground. The red Mig shows in stock. http://www.bananahobby.com/2185.html I first ordered the F-86 without transmitter & receiver as I assumed my existing 4ch system would work. I soon discovered it would not as these little jets have micro connectors on the servos. So I decided to order the Mig as well this time with the appropriate xmtr & rcvr included. It was only a $20 option. Now I switch the same receiver back and forth between jets. Works well. Just got to remember to throw the aileron reversing switch on the transmitter when you do so. I forgot and about lost my Mig.
52Sabre is online now Find More Posts by 52Sabre
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 05, 2011 at 02:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2011, 03:05 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,278 Posts
No thrust tube or 3S required!

As I stated in post #820. both the F-86 and Mig flew fine without these "enhancements". I have the ARF versions of these planes. Both came with 6A ESCs. I also opted for the matching micro rcvr all designed to run on 2S 7.4v. It's just a question of weight and balance and proper trim. Make sure you have a fresh charge on your battery. Now for those of you who are more experienced with larger faster planes then sure more power to you! But for a lot of the newbies it's best to keep it stock and fly it as designed. There's a learning curve take it one step at a time. We shouldn't have to figure out some fancy math equation just to fly our little planes. Turns out we don't. Just learn to fly it as it is. Go more advanced only until you feel comfortable your able to do so. A couple of tips here: With the F-86 put the aileron control rods into the inside holes of the servo control arm. not the outside as shown in the manual. This will desensitive the ailerons a bit so they won't be quite so 'touchy' with inputs. Now when you get to the field throw up a little grass to see which way the breeze is coming from. (ideally near calm) Give it a few clicks up elevator trim and always launch into the wind. When she's up to treetop level throttle it back, trim it out and practice doing lazy figure eights over head while you get more comfortable with it. Ideally it should fly straight and level at 1/2 throttle. Give it a little throttle and she goes up, back off and she comes down. You should be able to go back and forth overhead without touching the throttle much if at all. Just a little touch on the stick for turns. It'll drop down a bit then ascend as it gains airspeed and passes over you. Another turn and it's back and forth like that for a minute or so. Just take it easy, relax and enjoy your plane. Your actually flying! wow! And your in control! Then . . when your ready, you can practice landing approaches. Mind the throttle and give it a little up elevator just before you touch down. It takes practice but soon it will become second nature and you'll make nice smooth landings without much conscious effort. Then when your ready, go bore holes in sky! good luck and have fun.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 05, 2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 03:29 PM
Network Gnome
United States, WI, Dunbar
Joined Jun 2008
59 Posts
I ordered from HK as I needed batteries, receivers, and so forth. I had some other things I needed from them as well (batteries for my CX3, F-22 parts, etc). I was trying to order a 50mm from BH, but they were out of stock, so I went with toysonics. Might end up with the 50mm before the 35mm gets here!
SonicRaT is offline Find More Posts by SonicRaT
Old Aug 05, 2011, 03:52 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,278 Posts
I have the 50mm F-86. Got it from BH back in Feb. I see their in stock now. Like our 35mm versions, a fun jet! But another learning curve and another forum thread.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 05, 2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 04:09 PM
Network Gnome
Joined Jun 2008
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre View Post
I have the 50mm F-86. Got it from BH back in Feb. I see their in stock now. Like our 35mm versions, a fun jet! But another learning curve and another forum thread.
The website is a bit misleading, as I thought the F35 was in stock there as well, only to have the order cancelled because it's not. I emailed and all that's in stock is the white T-45 RTF.

In any event, still waiting on my Mig to leave. It's been 'sorting' since last Wednesday! Not sure what the deal is, as my other packages have gone through without a hitch.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 04:15 PM
Network Gnome
Joined Jun 2008
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
I posted this in the other thread but I'm not sure folks are reading both... so if I may, I'd like to repost my question:
Check out page #36.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=529
Old Aug 05, 2011, 05:12 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicRaT View Post
The website is a bit misleading, as I thought the F35 was in stock there as well, only to have the order cancelled because it's not. I emailed and all that's in stock is the white T-45 RTF.
Hmm . . they usually say "out of stock" if that is the case. Which one did you want? My 64mm F9F arrived today.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 05:19 PM
Network Gnome
Joined Jun 2008
59 Posts
Guess they hadn't updated the website yet, I was trying for the F35 ARF, then I emailed and asked if they had any 50mm ARF's at all, and they said they only had the white T-45 in RTF. Going to pick up an F-22 air frame as soon as they come back in stock as well, and try to transplant two of these 35mm EDF's into it. Seems about the right scale size for a twin 35!
Old Aug 05, 2011, 05:40 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
Quote:
How in the name of Brian Doyle-Murray do you guys fit everything in these planes?
I take it you missed the spaghetti factory in mine first time round?
Skyangels 35mm EDF Mig 15 maiden! (5 min 4 sec)

I have made it much neater this time.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:28 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
Crikey!!!! What a Pocket Rocket! My new power setup really moves out big time!

I am so glad I painted the top red or I would have lost it a few times. It became a dot in seconds when doing WOT passes.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 06, 2011, 04:29 AM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,278 Posts
Very good Nitro! My little 6A ESC finally smoked out on me. Only thing I can figure is it must have gotten a drop of water on it after doing the nose-in-boiling-water repair technique. Then I discover one of the fan blades is bent and all had been rubbing on a portion of the inside of the housing. So now I need replacements. BH doesn't show those parts for our 35mm birds. Anyone got a stateside source? thanks
Old Aug 06, 2011, 05:43 AM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post

I am so glad I painted the top red or I would have lost it a few times. It became a dot in seconds when doing WOT passes.
Yes it sure does... sounds fantastic too, has gotta be the fastest Micro Mig anyone has flown so far even at half throttle it was butt clenching on the sticks... Ol' Nitro's thumbs were twitching with adrenalin! yeehaaa
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Old Aug 06, 2011, 09:14 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,534 Posts
vids, vids, vids

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post

Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:50 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre View Post
As I stated in post #820. both the F-86 and Mig flew fine without these "enhancements". I have the ARF versions of these planes. Both came with 6A ESCs. I also opted for the matching micro rcvr all designed to run on 2S 7.4v. It's just a question of weight and balance and proper trim. Make sure you have a fresh charge on your battery. Now for those of you who are more experienced with larger faster planes then sure more power to you! But for a lot of the newbies it's best to keep it stock and fly it as designed. There's a learning curve take it one step at a time. We shouldn't have to figure out some fancy math equation just to fly our little planes. Turns out we don't. Just learn to fly it as it is. Go more advanced only until you feel comfortable your able to do so. A couple of tips here: With the F-86 put the aileron control rods into the inside holes of the servo control arm. not the outside as shown in the manual. This will desensitive the ailerons a bit so they won't be quite so 'touchy' with inputs. Now when you get to the field throw up a little grass to see which way the breeze is coming from. (ideally near calm) Give it a few clicks up elevator trim and always launch into the wind. When she's up to treetop level throttle it back, trim it out and practice doing lazy figure eights over head while you get more comfortable with it. Ideally it should fly straight and level at 1/2 throttle. Give it a little throttle and she goes up, back off and she comes down. You should be able to go back and forth overhead without touching the throttle much if at all. Just a little touch on the stick for turns. It'll drop down a bit then ascend as it gains airspeed and passes over you. Another turn and it's back and forth like that for a minute or so. Just take it easy, relax and enjoy your plane. Your actually flying! wow! And your in control! Then . . when your ready, you can practice landing approaches. Mind the throttle and give it a little up elevator just before you touch down. It takes practice but soon it will become second nature and you'll make nice smooth landings without much conscious effort. Then when your ready, go bore holes in sky! good luck and have fun.
Agreed! I finally got mine all sorted out just now.

I had a short first attempt (CG was too far back) and lost an aileron linkage on the landing.

Second attempt I got cocky and was rolling too close to some trees, had to pull up hard to avoid them but ended up stalling it behind them and hit a tree and wall. No real damage, just had to glue the wing back on and make yet another aileron linkage setup.

Today went MUCH better. I decided to glue the wing tanks on to protect the servo and linkages a bit, not sure if it's needed but after losing enough linkages I was tired of bending such small z bends

It took a couple clicks of elevator and aileron but now it flies hands off at 1/2 throttle. It needs a bit of down elevator (maybe I'll mix it in) at WOT, but it's not that bad at all, and only noticeable if you're flying really low at full speed.

Three solid flights and nothing bad happened at all. Smooth landings (a bit faster than I'm used to, but this is my first jet so I was prepared for that), pretty easy flights and a lot of fun!

I've got it timed for 2.5 minute flights, but I might increase that after I see how many mah's I took out in that time. I'm flying it on 2s 370mah Turnigy nano-techs (they were in stock and the price was right!).

I did notice that it gets a bit of wing rock in a breeze at lower speeds (around 1/2 throttle or just under), but it's nothing bad and doesn't fall out of the sky at all.

All in all, quite happy with it! It's not nearly as hard to keep track of as I was expecting, but it definitely eats up the sky pretty quick, even in a soccer field. It's definitely much faster than my brushless formosa at WOT and I'm sure I'll be very bored with the um mustang now

I should note that to get mine balanced without adding extra weight I had to remove the magnets from the fan hatch and put three of them in the very front of the front hatch. It comes it at 107g RTF with the tanks on.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Aug 06, 2011, 11:56 AM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,278 Posts
need replacement fan

I'm in need of a replacement fan for our 35mm jets. Any U.S. sources? BH has the smoked 6A ESC coming after a chat. It's under 30 days. Should have asked for a fan as well. I'd like to order 2 of them. anyone? thanks