HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:39 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
Is the death spin issue a problem with the F86 as well, or just the Mig?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:19 AM
Joined Sep 2010
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cox View Post
My stock plane from BH with a Rhino 2S360 was tail heavy, so I added 1/4 oz lead in the nose, cutting out some foam so it fits almost flush. I ran into a steel weight in the nose!

I stalled it up high trying to do a loop, and it recovered OK.

Today I treed it about 50 feet up. The wind may eventually blow it down, but I ordered a replacement already.
I've used a Rhino 360 2s and got it to balance without any ballast at 59mm as per instructions . RTF is 90g but I've reduced the weight in the rear fuselage and removed the magnets on the fan hatch .I think there is more weight to come out around the centre section but I'll try it at this weight first . The resulting holes are covered over with solar trim .
FANtastic is offline Find More Posts by FANtastic
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:25 AM
Halifax, NS
Joined Sep 2009
404 Posts
Wow, you've got quite a few holes in your fuse there! How did you cut them and what is solar trim?
karlpenney is offline Find More Posts by karlpenney
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:45 AM
Joined Sep 2010
285 Posts
I used a piece of sharpened 12mm steel tube . The foam cuts really cleanly when you twist the tube into the surface . Solar trim is stick film trim from your model shop .
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:45 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANtastic View Post
I've used a Rhino 360 2s and got it to balance without any ballast at 59mm as per instructions . RTF is 90g but I've reduced the weight in the rear fuselage and removed the magnets on the fan hatch .I think there is more weight to come out around the centre section but I'll try it at this weight first . The resulting holes are covered over with solar trim .

Poor bird ... it is looking more a Swiss cheese now

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:51 AM
Joined Sep 2010
285 Posts
Here is the resulting pile of foam cores cut from the fuselage , tailplane and outer wings .
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:52 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Where-a-bouts is this weight Richard?
Sure is an interesting find.

Weight in the top of the Sabre nose:

No weight that I can see in the Mig:

MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:54 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANtastic View Post
Did you do anything to smooth out the air flow inside the fuselage, or does the air coming from the EDF get extra turbulence from the holes? I would think you would need either a thrust tube or a coating of something to keep the air flowing smoothly on the way out with all those holes in the tail.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:03 PM
Joined Sep 2005
376 Posts
Has anyone tried the fan on 4s yet?
JackDaniels is offline Find More Posts by JackDaniels
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:30 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Yup, got about 5 flights on 4s.
Changed out the ESC, balanced the fan. Apart from that, no trickery. I was expecting to have to rewind it, but it takes it like a champ!

I am however using old, beaten up cells. It's only seeing 13-14V at WOT, and I doubt if it could handle 4 good cells like the TP 65c series.
I would love to try it though My plan is to abuse this fan/motor combo 'till it explodes/melts/goes supernova, then replace it anyway...
Odysis is online now Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:42 PM
Joined Sep 2005
376 Posts
I dont suppose you have any kind of numbers? (amps, thrust, motor temp)

With that little piece of knowledge (that you're already flying it), Id try it in a second if I could buy a new motor/fan without having to buy a whole new plane.
JackDaniels is offline Find More Posts by JackDaniels
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:59 PM
Joined Sep 2010
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Did you do anything to smooth out the air flow inside the fuselage, or does the air coming from the EDF get extra turbulence from the holes? I would think you would need either a thrust tube or a coating of something to keep the air flowing smoothly on the way out with all those holes in the tail.
Yes , I've made a paper thrust tube tonight 125mm long and tapers down to 80% of fan area . Balanced the fan too which was easier than first expected , second blade I weighted and it turns really smoothly through the rev range . It was out of balance before , you could feel the thrust fall away from about half throttle .
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:23 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
at 13v, 8A. No motor temp, apart from a finger test. I don't fly WOT the whole flight, but even on the bench it doesn't get past "fairly warm".

Better cells would definately load up more, but it handles 100w fine, which was the idea. I was expecting to have to add a wind...
Odysis is online now Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:24 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
Thanks MT.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:44 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,161 Posts
For thse of you who have replaced the ESC from an "RTF" version of these planes, did you find the stock ESC soldered to the motor leads or did it have bullet connectors?

Just trying to figure out how easy it would be to upgrade my ESC.

Thanks
BlazingStar is offline Find More Posts by BlazingStar