285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9000wner View Post
hope u can find a way to lighten it up
please let us / me know what u do
Im at a loss as to how to make it lighter
I would like to see one of these f86 made of eps
thats saving 40g right there
The rear of the fuselage now looks like a piece of swiss cheese as does the tailplane and outer wings .Using solar trim to cover the resulting 12mm holes.
I've removed the fan hatch magnets too .
The model now balances just forward of the reccomended CG with a Rino 2s pack . Not been able to weigh it yet but I guess its about 10g lighter .

I bought a spare fuselage to play with , I might take a latex mold and try making an expanding foam fus.
FANtastic is offline Find More Posts by FANtastic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:07 AM
Network Gnome
United States, WI, Dunbar
Joined Jun 2008
59 Posts
Read the thread from start to finish, and had to jump on board! Using the Buddy Code's it all came out surprisingly cheap! After going through the thread here's the various odds and ends I settled on:

F86 ARF (just can't get into the mig lines...)
Orange 4ch receiver
Turnigy Plush 10A ESC
Turnigy NT 460mAh 3S
HK 2.5g Micro servo's
.5 Carbon rod

Should make for a fun addition to my rather tiny hangar, and certainly will keep me busy while I search for various parts to restore my Sapac F-22 to flight condition!
SonicRaT is offline Find More Posts by SonicRaT
Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:59 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,592 Posts
Well, just got the maiden +1 for fun done

First up, the setup.
4s 360 batts. They were stripped and rebuilt. Saved 4g per pack (that's more than 10%!)
TGY Plush 10A ESC.
Assan 4ch Rx, case removed
Hobbyking 2.5g servos. Pins removed from plastic case, and plugged onto Rx's standard pins
26g enamal wire used for servo extensions.

AUW: 116g. Airframe weight: 78g
Power: Lots (100+w)

At 116g, it's no lightweight, that's for sure! The first couple of tosses saw the same death spin others have mentioned. After that, I let the speed build up and away she went!

Flew around my little "front yard" quite nicely, she really moves out! Never got more than about 1/2 throttle, as I didn't want to lose sight of the jet. It was sunset when I was flying...

The roll feels incredibly locked in. No mucking around, almost neutral roll stability. Gorgeous
Pitch felt very mushy. That comes, I think, from the really flexible pushrods. From where they exit the fuse to the surface bows quite badly. I might have to glue them to the fin? Anyone else notice that?
The fan is very noisy It sounded like a siren echoing off the houses. Attracted the attention of a few people who gathered to watch it.

Landing time was interesting. I knew it likes to keep the speed up, as I didn't want to spin on landing. Good thing EPO is tough!

All in all, apart from the frozen fingers, it was a golden session with a great little jet! Happy with it in pretty much most ways. Stiffer elevator linkage and a quieter fan (do they exist for micros yet??) and I'll be a very happy camper!

Edit: Oh yeah - CoG was on the panel line that's in front of the servo wires. Long and man stab were both excessive. I can't move my lump of lead (or lithium) aft any more, so not sure what I'm going to do to fix that...
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Last edited by Odysis; Jul 15, 2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 06:02 AM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
Pitch felt very mushy. That comes, I think, from the really flexible pushrods. From where they exit the fuse to the surface bows quite badly. I might have to glue them to the fin? Anyone else notice that?
Yup, didn't like that either, gets worse at higher speeds. I added a pushrod guide to the fin.

I've been thinking about 4s. I need a little more power. I can still see it when it runs out of speed on a vertical.
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:13 AM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,592 Posts
Slick. I might have to 'borrow' your solution

I did notice the pitch up under power you spoke of. Made launches interesting! It's probably responsible for a fair amount of the long stab problem. Man stab's hidden to an extent by those bits of spaghetti connected to the elevator.

What ESC are you using?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:15 AM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Yeah Ody, my wires bend and I noticed that pitchy problem every now and again... great solution there with the guides...
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:33 AM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,592 Posts
I wonder if NC's climbs on power, with his ueber-long thrust tube?

Bueler? NC? Bueler?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:59 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
Long and man stab were both excessive.
HUH?

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:08 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Flew my MiG on 3S yesterday---Really couldn't tell much of a thrust difference over 2S...Got in one terrible flight and then the stock ESC let the magic smoke out....Enough pussyfootin' around...I'm sticking my new AEO 40mm 8 blade unit in this plane as soon as I can get a new quality 10 to 12 amp ESC..

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:12 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lberry.88 View Post
Yep - ive had one of those, in fact ive had a number of them now in the Mig. Pretty much written off the airframe, am debating whether to invest in an Sabre airframe.
How big of a problem is this death-spiral issue? L.Berry88: You gave up on the plane because of this?!
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:34 AM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Flew my MiG on 3S yesterday....Enough pussyfootin' around...I'm sticking my new AEO 40mm 8 blade unit in this plane as soon as I can get a new quality 10 to 12 amp ESC..

Kevin
Lol....you might want to try a new 10amp esc before completely stripping the power system down. At the same time more power to you for blazing ahead with a 40mm attempt!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:37 AM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
How big of a problem is this death-spiral issue? L.Berry88: You gave up on the plane because of this?!
I never mentioned the flat spin when it happened because it really sounds worse than it is. It only happened once for me and I put the plane in a high alpha situation with low airspeed....so basically I deserved the flat spin. Now I just make sure to maintain more speed in the maneuvers.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:15 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
1: Make sure you don't try and fly an EDF if you dont know how they fly. They are very sensitive to any sudden inputs and like smooth, controlled inputs. Launch, gain speed, turn/climb gradually and repeat. Keep your speed up or you will crash and burn.

2: Use an ESC appropriate for the loads you will be ordering of the model during flight. For this model with stock powertrain on 3-cell the minimum ESC I would recommend is a HobbyKing 'Super Simple' 8A ESC. This works well for me even with a 600mAh 3-cell pack.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:05 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
1: Make sure you don't try and fly an EDF if you dont know how they fly. They are very sensitive to any sudden inputs and like smooth, controlled inputs. Launch, gain speed, turn/climb gradually and repeat. Keep your speed up or you will crash and burn.

2: Use an ESC appropriate for the loads you will be ordering of the model during flight. For this model with stock powertrain on 3-cell the minimum ESC I would recommend is a HobbyKing 'Super Simple' 8A ESC. This works well for me even with a 600mAh 3-cell pack.

Cheers - boingk
This is good advice when discussing these planes. Their low price, small size and the sources that sell them (www.bananahobby.com) may attract folks who are first time EDFers.

I'm really psyched to get mine...I love EDFs! I went from 64mm Hobby-Lobby EPS jets (from a few years back) to 1kw+ 70mm jets, to a 90mm Jet... now I'm flying 50mm jets and smaller.

What's next for this niche of the hobby?
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:56 PM
Network Gnome
United States, WI, Dunbar
Joined Jun 2008
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
This is good advice when discussing these planes. Their low price, small size and the sources that sell them (www.bananahobby.com) may attract folks who are first time EDFers.

I'm really psyched to get mine...I love EDFs! I went from 64mm Hobby-Lobby EPS jets (from a few years back) to 1kw+ 70mm jets, to a 90mm Jet... now I'm flying 50mm jets and smaller.

What's next for this niche of the hobby?
I know what you mean. I started with a Supercub LP, then picked up the PZ Corsair and T28D, still wasn't quite enough so I snagged a Sapac F-22. Now, I find myself going backwards and going smaller and smaller. Could be because it's cheaper and cheaper!
SonicRaT is offline Find More Posts by SonicRaT