SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:44 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjets View Post

On another note...and maybe your experience can help me, what about a flying Elevon stab for the F-86? One could use two servos in place of the one ELE servo and get rid of the AIL servos for those of us using one servo for each AIL? Not sure that it would be ideal aerodynamically and may add to much weight to an already heavy tail with the mechanics required in the rear. Thoughts?

Cheers.
As you are probably aware, a full flying elevator is going to have much more authority than a fixed elevator with hinged trailing surface. Truth is, on this model I haven't found the need for a full flying elevator. It has pretty good authority as is. However, if you want to go faster, a full flying elevator is going to have less drag. I don't think I would mess with it. I made sure both elevator rods were equal length and that the elevators were equal from side to side and it's good enough for my use. Now the F-18 would really benefit from that as the wings can disrupt airflow over the elevators. With full flying tails, ailerons could be pinned and servos removed so that it's taileron control. I really doubt that would work well in an F-86 due to the location of the elevators, but on the F-18 it should work well.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:59 PM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjets View Post
Bps- was certainly trying to clear the intake of rough air (servos and wires). After some thought, I may go with a thin stator type stand (straw formed into symmetrical airfoil) so that I can route the AIL servo wires from base of the wing thru intake (clean) to the RX. Will clean up the wire 'mess' and possibly straighten flow??

It is the Orange 415RX...sweet lil'gem tucks in the canopy nicely.
On my 30mm model the two servo wires are routed up through a plyon near the front of the wing.
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:28 AM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Jan 2013
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wba View Post
@abjets:
i am going to tape the wires onto the inside wall of the intake. at least that was my original plan. this is my first edf jet so i have no experience with how strong little obstacles interfere with overall performace. i was hoping that only the outtake with its compressed airstream is very sensible...?

w.
WBA-et all...so I was pondering the whole AIL servo wires "dilemma"...as I mentioned, was thinking of playing with a mast/stator built out of a straw to easily route the wires from under the wing into the 'electronics bay', in an effort to keep the intake clean. Although this is just a first attempt on my beat up experimental F-86, I like the way it came out...thought I would share the photos below...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=5516039&stc=1
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=5516040&stc=1
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=5516041&stc=1
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=5516043&stc=1
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=5516048&stc=1
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=5516049&stc=1
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=5516050&stc=1
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=5516053&stc=1
abjets is offline Find More Posts by abjets
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SA F-18 50MM Build
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:34 AM
Joined Jan 2013
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
As you are probably aware, a full flying elevator is going to have much more authority than a fixed elevator with hinged trailing surface. Truth is, on this model I haven't found the need for a full flying elevator. It has pretty good authority as is. However, if you want to go faster, a full flying elevator is going to have less drag. I don't think I would mess with it. I made sure both elevator rods were equal length and that the elevators were equal from side to side and it's good enough for my use. Now the F-18 would really benefit from that as the wings can disrupt airflow over the elevators. With full flying tails, ailerons could be pinned and servos removed so that it's taileron control. I really doubt that would work well in an F-86 due to the location of the elevators, but on the F-18 it should work well.
Joe- agreed. Sometimes the mind just doesn't stop thinking outside the box :-) I have a few Red Arrows T-45's on their way from Hobby B...I stalled on the f-18/f-15 purchase as I decided to stick with the single engine EDF rating at the moment...and enjoying the F-86 and it's challenges. Thanks for the input!!
Cheers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:35 AM
Joined Jan 2013
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bps View Post
On my 30mm model the two servo wires are routed up through a plyon near the front of the wing.
Bps- added something similar to my SA F-86...should be slick!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Jan 2013
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_ark View Post
I just wanted to provide some feedback on this one - the 282 HK servos are designed for 1s operation, so when they are given a 'postition' to go to, and the motor is fed 5 volts, it gets to the location and overshoots slightly, then pulls back (too far) then goes forward again. This is the reason for the chatter i had in my servos.
Powering them from a 3.3v BEC or 5v with a Diode to drop by .7v meant the chatter was eliminated (in all but one servo out of around 6 i had tested) Also, the lower voltage seemed to allow the servo to take smaller steps across the range of motion, increasing it's effective resolution. Though this may have been made redundant of course by the amount of slop in the gear chain on these little guys. - as always your mileage may vary.
Mark-
I ended up soldering in a diode with the Plush 10 amp and 415RX...RESULT: happy 282A servos with absolutely no chatter. Probably would have been fine w/o...but certainly smooth with...and maybe gain a few hours of life???
Thanks again for the input!
Cheers!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:50 AM
wba
Austria, Vienna
Joined Jan 2013
40 Posts
@abjets: i like the aerodynamic straw pipe. great idea! my project is going slow unfortunately, but the receiver is here and i can start checking the servos and the edf unit if it needs some balancing. by the way, which fan should i use for a start? i guess the one with more blades has more static thrust!?

w.
wba is offline Find More Posts by wba
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:43 AM
Joined Jan 2013
938 Posts
Quote:
@abjets: i like the aerodynamic straw pipe. great idea! my project is going slow unfortunately, but the receiver is here and i can start checking the servos and the edf unit if it needs some balancing. by the way, which fan should i use for a start? i guess the one with more blades has more static thrust!?

w.
WBA- Thanks on the straw bit. Excited to try it out. Funny you bring up the balancing and blade topic as that is what I worked on today. Wasn't happy with my 5-blade so I spent a little time with the "how to balance an edf with a cell phone" thread...and a few other threads. Came out pretty sweet! I have been using the 5-blade fans thus far, but have a three blade set up on a second f-86... Just been saving it for when I am a bit more proficient. Still experimenting and beating up my first version...then incorporating my "good" findings in the second version.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:02 PM
Joined Jan 2013
938 Posts
Quote:
@abjets: i guess the one with more blades has more static thrust!?

w.
WBA- Yes, more blades=more thrust...less blades=more speed. Less blades is more efficient, but I am after the thrust of the 5-blades at the moment, speed will be next
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:51 AM
wba
Austria, Vienna
Joined Jan 2013
40 Posts
@abjets: ok. thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:45 AM
Italy, Sicily, Palermo
Joined Sep 2006
869 Posts
hello , i have the 35 mm f16 can you tell me how to set up my dx6i with it.....How can he fly with the aileron servo is used also as an elevator servo....Do i have to activate a special function ?
Thank's
FedericoA is offline Find More Posts by FedericoA
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:01 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Yes , you have to enable the elevon wing mix on your DX6i.
Now if it doesn't work properly, you may have to do the following
- swap the servo leads for elevator and aileron
- reverse one or both servos on the radio

I think there are only 16 possible combinations for the above, so you will eventually find something that works. I don't have a DX6i anymore but hopefully someone with one will chime in with the exact settings.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:59 AM
Italy, Sicily, Palermo
Joined Sep 2006
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
Yes , you have to enable the elevon wing mix on your DX6i.
Now if it doesn't work properly, you may have to do the following
- swap the servo leads for elevator and aileron
- reverse one or both servos on the radio

I think there are only 16 possible combinations for the above, so you will eventually find something that works. I don't have a DX6i anymore but hopefully someone with one will chime in with the exact settings.
Solved ....I activate the ELEVON mix on my dx 6i ....THANK'S !
FedericoA is offline Find More Posts by FedericoA
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:40 PM
Joined Jan 2013
938 Posts
F-86 BH 2.4 TX and RX...

So I did some repairs on my first F-86...she was getting a bit tattered. Ended up doing a light glassing on the nose...including the forward intake and exterior to the wing root. I knew this was going to add some serious weight, so I wasn't shy with the sandpaper. AUW ended up at 132g with a 3s 460Mha Nano. CG at 59mm and it still leaps out of my hand headed for the skies!! I love this bird. Best part is that although heavy and fast, she's nearly indestructible!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by abjets; Feb 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:41 AM
wba
Austria, Vienna
Joined Jan 2013
40 Posts
how many mm max throw is necessary for the elevator to work well. i now got 3mm each way. is that enough? manual says 5mm :-(