HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:37 PM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Jan 2013
781 Posts
WBA- looking great! Love the clean effect! How are you handling the hinges? Also, where are you routing your wires? I have been concentrating on cleaning up the intake and filling all voids, but other than hiding the wires on the outside of the fuse (potential for damage to the wires) I am stuck with going through intake and probably taping smooth against the wall...? Curious.
abjets is offline Find More Posts by abjets
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Screamer 50MM SkyAngel Build
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:32 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,213 Posts
I have an F-86 and I was wondering how I get to the esc? I was going to upgrade it so it will take 3s.
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:52 PM
Joined Jan 2013
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
I have an F-86 and I was wondering how I get to the esc? I was going to upgrade it so it will take 3s.
With some gentle back and forth rocking of the fan unit, it should come free from the foam...with your original esc unplugged from the RX and both the main power lead and RX lead free...simply remove the motor fan unit and the esc will follow. The esc is located in a cutout just forward of the fan unit.

I had my wing removed...but shows what you are dealing with...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=5497794&stc=1
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:16 AM
wba
Austria, Vienna
Joined Jan 2013
40 Posts
@abjets: i will use floppy disk hinges (yes i found one small floppy disk!). 2 on each side. the servo itself will also function as a hinge. i glued 2 pieces of some stronger foil onto the floppy disk foil to make it easier to stick it into the wing and the aileron. will make pics to show what i mean...

i am going to tape the wires onto the inside wall of the intake. at least that was my original plan. this is my first edf jet so i have no experience with how strong little obstacles interfere with overall performace. i was hoping that only the outtake with its compressed airstream is very sensible...?

w.
wba is offline Find More Posts by wba
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:21 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wba View Post
@abjets: i will use floppy disk hinges (yes i found one small floppy disk!). 2 on each side. the servo itself will also function as a hinge. i glued 2 pieces of some stronger foil onto the floppy disk foil to make it easier to stick it into the wing and the aileron. will make pics to show what i w.
Floppy disc material is the strongest stuff I have found. Just try to tear it by hand and you will see what I mean. I would like to find the stuff in bulk.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:34 AM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
451 Posts
A coworker had suggested to me that floppy disks are mylar. I think you can find sheets of the stuff in art stores used as drafting material covers.

Another option to look at would be candy bar wrappers and chip bags. Not nearly as thick but makes a cheap hinge.
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:08 AM
Joined Jan 2013
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wba View Post
@abjets: i will use floppy disk hinges (yes i found one small floppy disk!). 2 on each side. the servo itself will also function as a hinge. i glued 2 pieces of some stronger foil onto the floppy disk foil to make it easier to stick it into the wing and the aileron. will make pics to show what i mean...

i am going to tape the wires onto the inside wall of the intake. at least that was my original plan. this is my first edf jet so i have no experience with how strong little obstacles interfere with overall performace. i was hoping that only the outtake with its compressed airstream is very sensible...?

w.
WBA- perfect! Sounds like a winner. I also opted for taping the servo leads inside the intake...I secured them to the outside of version 1, but leaves the wires a bit open to possible damage and doesn't look so good. I will say that it was a bit tough to tape up the wires inside with the wing glued as I had already installed the esc/motor (ensuring clean airflow over the esc). It came out OK. Might build in some contoured tubes for the next one...so I can just feed the wires up?

As for the hinges...I found some very strong/flexible mylar gift wrap(yup...the Christmas stuff)...even in silver!! That worked really well as hinge material. Just cut to length and really holds well with CA.
I was able to find some micro hinges laying around, but the mylar is much lighter and provides a strong/cheap alternative.
Cheers!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:36 AM
Joined Jan 2013
781 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=5498945&stc=1

A few different views...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:26 AM
Joined Jan 2013
781 Posts
Here are a couple more views of the RX placement...trying to keep as far away from the batt/esc/motor...? Almost ready for maiden. I have set this bird up with flaps...? About 10-12 degrees of flaps and a few degrees of up elevator...? Anybody had success with this? If so...what sort of flap degree setting?
Cheers!http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=5501694&stc=1
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:56 AM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
817 Posts
Nice job. I am interested in finding out what difference removing the post has. It may act as a diverter to straighten out the airflow for a more efficient entry to the edf or maybe just be more of a problem. Any way I am interested in finding out. Also what brand of receiver are you using? Waiting to hear flight results, thanks for sharing
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:16 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,213 Posts
Nice work and good idea, I may use that idea on my F-86.

bps, that looks like the micro HK orange one to me. I have three just like it
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:37 AM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
817 Posts
My Sabre is the 30mm version. Two wing servos and does 3 cells, standard servo cons. Also have a micro receiver for another plane. Rec came from Hobbycool, just another clone.
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:40 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Nice idea for the F-86. May have to do that on my next one.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:24 PM
Joined Jan 2013
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bps View Post
Nice job. I am interested in finding out what difference removing the post has. It may act as a diverter to straighten out the airflow for a more efficient entry to the edf or maybe just be more of a problem. Any way I am interested in finding out. Also what brand of receiver are you using? Waiting to hear flight results, thanks for sharing
Bps- was certainly trying to clear the intake of rough air (servos and wires). After some thought, I may go with a thin stator type stand (straw formed into symmetrical airfoil) so that I can route the AIL servo wires from base of the wing thru intake (clean) to the RX. Will clean up the wire 'mess' and possibly straighten flow??

It is the Orange 415RX...sweet lil'gem tucks in the canopy nicely.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Nice idea for the F-86. May have to do that on my next one.
Joe- works great...currently I don't like the tape securing the servo wires in the intake as it may be suspect to become FOD. See my post above...I think a mast or stator (drinking straw with a symmetrical airfoil) secured to the wing...extending through the intake into the electronics 'bay' is my next move. Will make a nice clean path to feed the AIL servo wires to the RX once the wing is glued to the fuselage.

On another note...and maybe your experience can help me, what about a flying Elevon stab for the F-86? One could use two servos in place of the one ELE servo and get rid of the AIL servos for those of us using one servo for each AIL? Not sure that it would be ideal aerodynamically and may add to much weight to an already heavy tail with the mechanics required in the rear. Thoughts?

Cheers.
RCG Plus Member