HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:42 AM
wba
Austria, Vienna
Joined Jan 2013
40 Posts
way to go?

anyone of you guys ever tried this configiration? the wing is thick enough at this spot to let the servo go in all the way.

considerations:
+ most direct solution.
+ seperate servos, failsafety, possible flaperons.
+ no aerodynamic drag.
+ no play
+ can not get caught at landings
- more weight.
- center of gravity moves back! (however i will have a fat battery)
- less adjustment possibilities

what do you think?
w.
wba is offline Find More Posts by wba
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:53 AM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Jan 2013
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wba View Post
anyone of you guys ever tried this configiration? the wing is thick enough at this spot to let the servo go in all the way.

considerations:
+ most direct solution.
+ seperate servos, failsafety, possible flaperons.
+ no aerodynamic drag.
+ no play
+ can not get caught at landings
- more weight.
- center of gravity moves back! (however i will have a fat battery)
- less adjustment possibilities

what do you think?
w.
I did this setup and it works great! Was trying to completely smooth out the intake flow and as well protect the aileron servos...also moved the elevator servo so that it lays flat(plugged the remaining hole). Kept the aileron servos as forward as possible to mitigate the cg. My first attempt was on a well worn F86 so it was the experimental test bed...but all worked great...now doing it on a clean version.
/Users/adambarbor/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2013/Jan 5, 2013/photo 1.JPG
/Users/adambarbor/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2013/Jan 5, 2013/photo 4.JPG
/Users/adambarbor/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2013/Jan 5, 2013/photo 1_2.JPG
abjets is offline Find More Posts by abjets
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Screamer 50MM SkyAngel Build
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:37 PM
Joined Jan 2013
722 Posts
SkyAngel T-45/ HobbyB

Anyone know when HobbyB is scheduled for more 35mm T-45 RedArrows of the PNP variety? I'll take one to go and an unpainted airframe to boot, please
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:20 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjets View Post
I did this setup and it works great!
I think you're missing part of his concept, it looks like he wants to hook up the servo arms DIRECTLY to the ailerons.

Advantages, nothing out in the airstream to cause drag or snag on landing.

You would definitely need a computer radio for centering and controlling throws, no clevis or pushrod for adjustment. But everyone's got a computer radio these days (even me!) You would also have to be very careful to align the servo pivot point with the hinges. But that's doable.

Let us know how it works out.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:23 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,049 Posts
Many have mentioned receiving their Skyangel models with warps, and fixing those warps with hot water. Mine came with everything straight, but now I'm thinking of using this method to put a little washout in the wings. Any recommendations on doing this? Really like this plane, don't want to ruin it.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:57 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
Many have mentioned receiving their Skyangel models with warps, and fixing those warps with hot water. Mine came with everything straight, but now I'm thinking of using this method to put a little washout in the wings. Any recommendations on doing this? Really like this plane, don't want to ruin it.
Washout would be great!!!...Upturning the ailerons does just about the same thing but you do loose some aileron effectiveness when you upturn the entire aileron...With other planes I've taken the outboard portion of the wingtips, cut them loose from the wing, and upturned them glueing them in place for "artificial" washout...Works great!!!...I posted how to do this in the E-Flite T-45 thread in the EDF forum...If you do a search of my attachments you will see what I have done to create "artificial" washout...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:03 PM
Joined Jan 2013
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
I think you're missing part of his concept, it looks like he wants to hook up the servo arms DIRECTLY to the ailerons.

Advantages, nothing out in the airstream to cause drag or snag on landing.

You would definitely need a computer radio for centering and controlling throws, no clevis or pushrod for adjustment. But everyone's got a computer radio these days (even me!) You would also have to be very careful to align the servo pivot point with the hinges. But that's doable.

Let us know how it works out.
WBA and Angelo- So sorry! I did, I totally missed it!http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/im...s/confused.gif Love the idea! Might have to give it a try on my F-86 version 3. WBA-keep us posted if you give it a go. I like the clean airflow thought...and with the shorty arm close to the CG, shouldn't be too big of a W&B correction. Agreed with Angelo...pivot and hinge point being the more difficult issue to clear. Possible that you could keep the ailerons as a 'soft' attachment to the arm...not necessarily glued...but a pin/shaft from the arm into a groove in the side of the aileron to mitigate any hinge bind? Curious to see what you come up with!!
Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:41 AM
wba
Austria, Vienna
Joined Jan 2013
40 Posts
thanks, guys for your opinions on the servo positions. i think i will try that. the benefits are worth the risks.

i am also interested in the washout...

w.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:57 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
Jpower, if you are listening.......

Time for another 35mm model. The F-117 is retired, it doesn't exist anywhere else in the EDF world until you get to 64mm fans and larger. Twin 35mm would be nice.

Maybe A Typhoon Eurofighter? Something.....
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:22 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
ya when are we getting more of these? that's something i was wondering, those deltas would be pretty nice.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:44 PM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjets View Post
Joe-thanks for that! With all electronics set up and a fresh 3s battery I was getting a bit of chatter with the HK282A servos, using the plush 10 amp ESC and the orange R415 RX. Getting pretty good at 'nano' soldering...is it worth a .7 volt drop with a diode to be safe...or better yet, will it get ride of the chatter? Maybe a bit of chatter is normal... Just curious if experience has proven otherwise.
Fun little platforms to perfect!

If one enjoys the Sabre and might like to expand ones horizons in another one of these 35mm birds...any recommendations s on the T-45 versus the F15 for flight 'fun'? Personally I like the T-45 with independent aileron servos and elevator...but the room in an F15 to upgrade is enticing not to mention 'twin' factor. Curious.
Cheers.
I just wanted to provide some feedback on this one - the 282 HK servos are designed for 1s operation, so when they are given a 'postition' to go to, and the motor is fed 5 volts, it gets to the location and overshoots slightly, then pulls back (too far) then goes forward again. This is the reason for the chatter i had in my servos.
Powering them from a 3.3v BEC or 5v with a Diode to drop by .7v meant the chatter was eliminated (in all but one servo out of around 6 i had tested) Also, the lower voltage seemed to allow the servo to take smaller steps across the range of motion, increasing it's effective resolution. Though this may have been made redundant of course by the amount of slop in the gear chain on these little guys. - as always your mileage may vary.
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:29 AM
Joined Jan 2013
722 Posts
M_ark- Thanks for the input!
Feedback noted on the 282 HK servos...although I am running the 282A HK servos (obvious difference being the screws) I had heard that they were a bit more tolerant to 5V than the straight 282's???. This being said...I am going to run this setup straight with 3S Batts, Plush 10 amp ESC and orange R415 receiver with the 282A HK servos...then build a comparable model with a .7volt drop diode in place and see if the difference is notable.
FYI- seems the chatter disappeared after the initial usage of the servos in the 5 volt setup...at least for now.
Again, thanks M_ark!
Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:54 AM
wba
Austria, Vienna
Joined Jan 2013
40 Posts
looking good so far

i did the cutting and it looks great so far.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:47 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Well that is really interesting.
Please do continue with the pics.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:31 PM
Joined Jan 2013
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
No worries as it's not strictly a Hobby B discussion...I don't think that Hobby B was in business when these planes first became available...Everyone can use some buddy codes...I'm just really happy with Hobby B's service...Can't get any better!!!...Just keep Hobby B on your mind as the first "go to" place for these planes...The rest of the accessories (RX, batts, servos, etc) you can get elsewhere until Hobby B catches up their inventory...

Again, not a rep, not a shill---Just a very satisfied Hobby B customer!!!

Kevin
I too am a satisfied HobbyB customer...great customer service! I do hope they are able to maintain some stock in some of these birds/parts...been itching for the Red Arrows Hawk and a blank body for some time...body is available, but out of stock on the PNP version. Oh well, I am patient and still fine tuning the F-86 and having a blast.
Cheers
RCG Plus Member