HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:23 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawx View Post
Yeah I put together 2 nano-tech 360 2S packs. Stripped'em down and wrapped them once in alumi tape and added a 4S balance tab. I could hear the ESC hitting a few "hiccups" at the top end. I have a 30mm inrunner/fan from my Arttech F86 that I have been fiddling with. The fan seems to be put together well, I just don't know if it will outperform the SA fan/motor on 4S.
I don't know if the AT fan will outperform the SA fan as you do---But I also run my Art-Tech 30mm F-86 on 4S as well...Very solid performer!!!...Run a Turnigy 10 to 12 amp ESC rated for 4S for best results...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:52 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,403 Posts
I think the original wind that nitro tested was that low of a KV. I believe the current kV is supposed to be 7400 on average. Might be worth testing the speed of these units.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:56 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Less flight time???...I'll be @ 1/3rd throttle on 4S and it would take about 1/2 throttle for the same speed on 3S...I should easily get 5 minute flights which is plenty...

As for weight---All I gained was 3/4 ounce by adding the extra cell...There are many guys flying this plane on 4S but with 650mAh packs that only weigh a few grams less than my pack...

Performance---I flew my MiG 15 on 3S and it was "OK"...When I went to 4S the plane performed like a jet SHOULD!!!......Loops as large as you want with plenty of vertical...

Here's an old vid that I did with my cellphone...I didn't have anyone to hold the camera so it is a stationary vid...I posted it a while back to get someone to Dopler it for me...This flight was before I did a "nip/tuck" on the exhaust...You can hear the difference in RPM on mine vs those that have posted 3S vids...As fast as this hotrod is flying straight and level you can imagine how much vertical it has...

The flying starts about 1:10...

Kevin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAQhIK6ndcc
Nice!! Very fast!!

I'm surprised no one posted that video about holding your camera phone horizontal
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:00 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
Nice!! Very fast!!

I'm surprised no one posted that video about holding your camera phone horizontal
I could have held the camera horizontally instead of vertically but I was concerned that my plane would be out of frame as close as I planned on flying..WIth the camera vertically I covered more sky......And the vid was made more as a thought to catch the sound for Dopler rather than seeing a spectacular flight...Sure is fast, though......

Kevin
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:52 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I could have held the camera horizontally instead of vertically but I was concerned that my plane would be out of frame as close as I planned on flying..WIth the camera vertically I covered more sky......And the Vida was made more as a thought to catch the sound for Doppler rather than seeing a spectacular flight...Sure is fast, though......

Kevin
I did ponder that possible scenario, but thought I would poke fun anyway
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:03 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
I did ponder that possible scenario, but thought I would poke fun anyway
I took it as poking fun!!!...Sure wish I had SOMEONE that was interested in making vids of my flights as much as I am!!!...I can hardly get my wife or oldest son to video for me without a ton of rolling eyes and sighs...

Kevin
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:07 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,008 Posts
My son used to go flying with me and he did all the recording. But now he doesn't go anymore I guess he's too cool to go play with dad
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:16 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,062 Posts
Quote:
My son used to go flying with me and he did all the recording. But now he doesn't go anymore I guess he's too cool to go play with dad
I hope my kid never gets too cool to hang with me ... =(
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:51 AM
wba
Austria, Vienna
Joined Jan 2013
40 Posts
soon to be F86 pilot

hi everyone,

i ordered a sabre. after browsing through 100dreds of posts i have many ideas for minor modifications i want to do right away.

there is one thing i have noticed. the sabre actually uses the flaps as ailerons. is there anyone who uses the outer area of the wing like on the mig 15?

http://f-86.tripod.com/wings.html

cheers wba
wba is offline Find More Posts by wba
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:37 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,048 Posts
I wouldn't change the ailerons on the F-86. First off, they're plenty effective where they're at. Secondly, the F-86 has no washout at the tips. It's already prone to tip stalls if you slow down too much or loop too tight. If you move the ailerons to their scale location, it will make the tip stalling much worse.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:21 AM
wba
Austria, Vienna
Joined Jan 2013
40 Posts
thanks for the warning, angelo! i am afraid it is too late already. the idea has made itself comfortable in my brain already.

two thougths:

with the ailerons at the outside you could trim both of them up a bit to simulate some washout.

or you could install flaps.

anyways i will try it out like it is first and see if i still want to change it.

w.
wba is offline Find More Posts by wba
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:19 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
I think the original wind that nitro tested was that low of a KV. I believe the current kV is supposed to be 7400 on average. Might be worth testing the speed of these units.
I just got in a newer motor/fan...The newer motor has thicker wires coming from the motor...Also, the newer motor doesn't have cooling holes in the front of the motor...The older motor has cooling holes at the front of the motor just behind the fan...

So---The newer motors may be rated at a different kv than the older ones....(Higher kv)...Hence, the larger wires from the motor...Also, the newer motors have a "C" clip on the shaft at the front of the motor to keep the shaft in place...The older motors have no "C" clip and you can move the can of the motor with the fan in place...The "C" clip really doesn't help as the fan pulls the shaft forward preventing the shaft from moving rearward...The only advantage I can see of having the shaft completely stationary is when you stop the motor and have the brake applied the shaft won't move...But with ducted fans we don't use the brake feature on the ESC...So---.........

Kevin
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:34 AM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Jan 2013
705 Posts
Question...anyone recommend knocking down the voltage from a plush 10 amp ESC to the R415 RX running the HK282A servos? About to start a clean sheet F-86 and wondering if I should throw in a diode while I am at it...
Cheers!
abjets is offline Find More Posts by abjets
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Screamer 50MM SkyAngel Build
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:13 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,403 Posts
I use those servos with no diodes and haven't had a problem. They are OK at 5V. 6V will fry them prematurely.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:57 PM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Jan 2013
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
I use those servos with no diodes and haven't had a problem. They are OK at 5V. 6V will fry them prematurely.
Joe-thanks for that! With all electronics set up and a fresh 3s battery I was getting a bit of chatter with the HK282A servos, using the plush 10 amp ESC and the orange R415 RX. Getting pretty good at 'nano' soldering...is it worth a .7 volt drop with a diode to be safe...or better yet, will it get ride of the chatter? Maybe a bit of chatter is normal... Just curious if experience has proven otherwise.
Fun little platforms to perfect!

If one enjoys the Sabre and might like to expand ones horizons in another one of these 35mm birds...any recommendations s on the T-45 versus the F15 for flight 'fun'? Personally I like the T-45 with independent aileron servos and elevator...but the room in an F15 to upgrade is enticing not to mention 'twin' factor. Curious.
Cheers.
abjets is offline Find More Posts by abjets
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Screamer 50MM SkyAngel Build