HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:23 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,371 Posts
Looks good Speed-E-Flyer. Mine should be here soon.
I flew my F-86 yesterday with the fuel tanks off. It was still a little sluggish but in it's defense it was a little windy. I figured out that my first hand launch was what really caused the problem. I launched at WOT and that caused a little torque roll, then I had forgotten to switch to low rates and I over compensated, the next thing I know the plane slowed a little due to the rolling back and forth before I got enoug speed and it went into a slight harrier angle and didn't recover. The second launch was at 3/4 throttle and she took off in a straight line and I had a much better flight.
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:05 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Hobby King, a short story......

You may find this enlightening or somewhat entertaining. I am known to be up front and honest, so here goes.......

I ordered a T-45 from HK in October 2011. Yes over 1 year ago.

The package came damaged, as if something poked right through it, and then someone used white tape to make it appear as if there was no damage at all. Needless to say whatever poked the package tore the wing and rendered my airframe useless.

The typical contact with HK and customer service did not go well. Many e-mails, 4 different requests to send photos, often needing photo shop to circle and outline the different areas of damage........

Suddenly, I got an email said that HK CS was satisfied with the resolution determined. No hint what was the resolution, and nothing was done to satisfy my plight and useless airframe.......... I was disappointed with the outcome, voiced my dis-content, and stopped shopping at HK ever since.

Well, last week, after 1 year, 2 months........ yes 14 months, a package shows up from China, not expected, not knowing what it was. I opened it and there to my surprise was a brand new, T-45 wing. No gear of course, but still a wing. So after a year of waiting for nothing, disgruntled and all, CS at HK came through and made good. A bit slow mind you, LOL.

I almost gave the airframe away, almost gutted it, but decided to keep it as a reminder and hanger queen. She may fly yet, a bit late I might say, but still, she will fly. Just thought it was fair to HK to straighten up and report on the outcome. We all may have received a few parts here and there that were DOA. So we eat it as that seems to be the risk of cheaper shoping from many vendors overseas, somewhat expected. An entire airframe was beyond my tollerance. Now that it was made good, HK and I are square, and I would shop there again if the need arrises.

Thaks HK.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:27 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,371 Posts
Man, that really sucks. I know I'm always taknig a gamble when I shop there, I had started getting a lot of my stuff from Hobbypartz. Then HobbyKing opened their USA warehouse and that is the only place I will order planes from them. If it has to come from China I won't order it. I will however order stuff that is small and not large and delicate like a plane.
Glad you got the wing. I think it would have been nicer if they sent you a whole new plane after all that waiting.
I ordered my Mig-29 from BananaHobby. It's supposed to be here Wed. Hope it arrives ok. I have a UPS mail box and the employees there know to refuse a package that comes in damaged. That way, I can say it was not received and get my money back from paypal.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:37 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,463 Posts
You kidding me? I wouldn't care if it took that length of time to get the part. If there were no resolution after 3 weeks, that does it for me. That length of wait is completely unacceptable. HK pulled a few stunts on me that took PayPal intervention so it looks like HK time is distorted from the rest of us. There must be a wormhole that distorts space and time, completely isolating them from the rest of the modern world.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:00 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
At the time the original package came, I had been sick for a month, soon to be hospitalized. Wife accepted the package, but I can not blame her, as the white tape looked just like the foam that the container was made from, that the airplane came in. Shipping an airplane in nothing but the original package didn't help.

By the time I was out of the hospital, I was in contact with customer service. 2 days after PayPal resolution time was expired, was when HK informed me "We are happy with the outcome and problem has been resolved".

I will never wait long again for a resolution, PayPal will get reports immediately. Vendors beware. All our friends on RCG should be trained into the PayPal protocall.

Last edited by Freddie B; Jan 08, 2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:04 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,371 Posts
I glad to hear that you are well now.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:06 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Thank you my friend. Wasn't my time, LOL. Happy to be here still myself.

Fred
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:41 AM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
859 Posts
Glad to hear your doing better Fred. Your experience with HK is beyond reasonable. This is the very reason all of my purchases have been small and infrequent from HK. They will continue to be until and if HK develops a reasonable way of dealing with problems. They do have a few planes I would like to have but customer service issues just do not offset the cost with freight added.
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:23 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Thank you too kind Sir. Your reasoning on final 'cost' with freight charges is spot on. After my ordeal, I started to expand the number of Stateside vendors I shop from. When considering the shippng costs, and receiving my purchase in just days instead of weeks, I am grateful for the switch. Sometimes I spend a few dollars more, sometimes I actually save money. Go figure. Of course I could pick some that would cost a whole lot more, but there are so many good vendors that I have ended up very happy.

HK has a great presence, and even sells products to vendors that re-purpose them. I will hope the experiance I had is cured for everyone in the hobby, including HK so that no one ever has to be stressed out over their Hobby which is supposed to be fun! After all, HK pricing has helped keep pricing down overall with the competition, besides inovating many new products through their development procedures with manufactures.

Fred
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:43 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
Got my F-15 and my F-18 along with a couple 50mm planes today.

I was planing on a using a small 2500kv outrunner w/ 4.1 X 4.1 prop as a pusher on the F-15 but it's pretty big.
It's not too much smaller then my 50mm AMX so I pulled apart the body and thought about the 50mm unit I had for my other planes.

Has anyone done this yet?
I know the area of the 2 fans (962 x 2 = 1928) are less then the area of the 50mm fan (2375)
I'll need to measure the size of the intakes and the exhaust on the F-15.

Question I'm thinking about.
Do I split the exhaust in two and use the existing nozzels or do I redo the back to make one exhaust tube.
Let me look it over tonight.
Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:14 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED-E-FLYER View Post
Got my F-15 and my F-18 along with a couple 50mm planes today.

I was planing on a using a small 2500kv outrunner w/ 4.1 X 4.1 prop as a pusher on the F-15 but it's pretty big.
It's not too much smaller then my 50mm AMX so I pulled apart the body and thought about the 50mm unit I had for my other planes.

Has anyone done this yet?
I know the area of the 2 fans (962 x 2 = 1928) are less then the area of the 50mm fan (2375)
I'll need to measure the size of the intakes and the exhaust on the F-15.

Question I'm thinking about.
Do I split the exhaust in two and use the existing nozzels or do I redo the back to make one exhaust tube.
Let me look it over tonight.
Larry
Wooooo!!!...I'm thinking that your inlet area will be OK but you will have to neck down the exhaust to get the right efflux for thrust...I, too, have torn my F-15 apart as the factory glue wasn't up to snuff so I can see what you are seeing...You can definately do the one fan mod but you will have to do quite extensive ducting mods to the exhaust for a twin exhaust...I hate to see a single exhust outlet on a twin as it ruins the scale look...I would rather keep it stock than to run a single outlet with a bigger single fan---Although a bifurcated exhaust is less efficient that a single exhaust...

I'm going with twin 35mm fans but on 4S---I bought some 850mAh 35C 2S packs that I'll run in series for 4S...I'm working on getting the batteries in place...It's a tight fit...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:20 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,371 Posts
what is efflux?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:37 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
what is efflux?
The speed of the air moving out the tailpipe.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:43 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
what is efflux?
Its the capacitor invented by Dr. Emmett " Doc" Brown, used to get the DeLorean DMC-12 to travel in time once it reaches 88mph.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:33 AM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
Few photos and scans of the F-15 with a 50mm fan unit.
Would take some carving and you would have a bulge on the bottom.
Would you need to carry it all the way back to the twin exhaust
The existing 2 round 35mm dia. have an area of 962 x 2 = 1924mm2
The inlets are 25mm x 50mm =1250mm2 X 2 inlets = 2500mm2
Does the slant of the inlets have a bearing on additional airflow?
If so the area of the slanted intake is 1625mm2 x 2 = 3250mm2
Took a few scans and thought I'd draw it up in autocad.
Not a 3d modeler but I can draw a bit.

Looking forward to my 5 year old going back to school next Monday.
Christmas Break lasted from the middle of Dec. to the middle of Jan.

".... Mom and Dan can't hardly wait for school to start again".

So I can work a bit more in the shop

Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Last edited by SPEED-E-FLYER; Jan 09, 2013 at 12:43 AM.