Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
Got my Mig-29 today.
Will look it over later tonight
Fan units a bit off.
Is it enough to fool with ?

Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Last edited by SPEED-E-FLYER; Dec 28, 2012 at 12:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:46 AM
Try Try and Try Again
Florida
Joined Feb 2011
219 Posts
F-86 Fan Trouble

Looking for advice:

Spooled up for a flight this morning and the fan spun off of the motor shaft and is resting in the intake tube. There does not seem to be any damage to the blades or housing.

Has this happened to anyone else? It appears the fan housing is glued in place and I am not sure how the fan is attached to the shaft on this model. Before I attempt a repair I was hoping to get some insight on the "surgery".
IronRotor is offline Find More Posts by IronRotor
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:00 PM
Try Try and Try Again
Florida
Joined Feb 2011
219 Posts
F-86 Fan Trouble

Got it, just removed the fan housing by gentle rocking back and forth and threaded the fan back on and hot glued the housing back...simple.

Now for a test flight.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:41 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,385 Posts
Very cool, I didn't know the motors had magnetized hatch covers. That is awesome!

I just ordered mine from Bananahobby. I can't believe Bananahobby had Hobbyking beat by about $15 and that was ordering from the Hobbyking USA warehouse.
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:06 PM
Try Try and Try Again
Florida
Joined Feb 2011
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
Very cool, I didn't know the motors had magnetized hatch covers. That is awesome!

I just ordered mine from Bananahobby. I can't believe Bananahobby had Hobbyking beat by about $15 and that was ordering from the Hobbyking USA warehouse.
Strong magnets at that! BH is limited but I check them first as it is US stock and pretty darn cheap.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:40 PM
Try Try and Try Again
Florida
Joined Feb 2011
219 Posts
F-86 Fan Problem

My fan keeps spinning off the shaft. The nut is reversed threaded so I am not sure why it keeps happening. The threads look ok. Do I use some CA?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:29 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRotor View Post
My fan keeps spinning off the shaft. The nut is reversed threaded so I am not sure why it keeps happening. The threads look ok. Do I use some CA?
I thought they were designed so the rotor tightens as the motor spins. So, I gotta ask. Is it spinning in the correct direction? You can try double nutting it. If all else fails, use CA.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:32 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRotor View Post
have you flown it yet ? make sure the air is forced out the back of the jet...quite possible the motor was connected to the esc wrong...and is running in reverse !

if so...switch any two wires, then try again
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:06 AM
Try Try and Try Again
Florida
Joined Feb 2011
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
have you flown it yet ? make sure the air is forced out the back of the jet...quite possible the motor was connected to the esc wrong...and is running in reverse !

if so...switch any two wires, then try again

Thanks everyone, I've got nearly a couple dozen flights on it now and it blows air out the back like crazy, for about 3 seconds then the fan comes off. I cleaned the threads and nut and they appear to be a little stripped, gotta be from the factory as I haven't touched it until now. I cleaned them up and used heavy duty thread locker. I will try again tomorrow and then CA.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:17 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,024 Posts
Earlier I stated that Hobby B was DA BOMB!!!...Still holds true---I opened up my plane (F-15 kit) and everything was nicely packed...But I noticed that the motor that was sent to me was one for a 50mm plane instead of the 35mm one that I ordered...I contacted Hobby B via email about the error---And in LESS THAN 24 hours I not only had a reply from them but the correct motor shipped with a tracking #!!!

Listen---If you guys are tired of shipping hastles and being "run around the block" several times before you get satisfaction for a damaged or incorrectly shipped part---Give Hobby B a try...I'm happy!!!...And no---I'm not a rep, shill, or in any way connected to Hobby B...Just a guy like you all that wants service after the sale if needed without all of the hoops (crap) other stores make you jump through...

Additionally, Hobby B ships VERY fast as compared to others that hold your order for over a week in their warehouse---The JIT truck must travel at the same pace the Shuttle hauler travels at Cape Kennedy---Second thought, the JIT truck must be slower!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Earlier I stated that Hobby B was DA BOMB!!!...Still holds true---I opened up my plane (F-15 kit) and everything was nicely packed...But I noticed that the motor that was sent to me was one for a 50mm plane instead of the 35mm one that I ordered...I contacted Hobby B via email about the error---And in LESS THAN 24 hours I not only had a reply from them but the correct motor shipped with a tracking #!!!

Listen---If you guys are tired of shipping hastles and being "run around the block" several times before you get satisfaction for a damaged or incorrectly shipped part---Give Hobby B a try...I'm happy!!!...And no---I'm not a rep, shill, or in any way connected to Hobby B...Just a guy like you all that wants service after the sale if needed without all of the hoops (crap) other stores make you jump through...

Additionally, Hobby B ships VERY fast as compared to others that hold your order for over a week in their warehouse---The JIT truck must travel at the same pace the Shuttle hauler travels at Cape Kennedy---Second thought, the JIT truck must be slower!!!

Kevin
+1. Had nothing but great service from Hobbyb.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:29 PM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,331 Posts
++1 HobbyB has always come through with great service!!
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:39 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED-E-FLYER View Post
Got my Mig-29 today.
Will look it over later tonight
Fan units a bit off.
Is it enough to fool with ?

Larry
Personally, I would make sure the fans sit perfectly oriented in the fuse and the thrust line slightly up. I believe the foam is contoured correct, sometimes the fans get installed a bit sloppy.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3402
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:16 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,385 Posts
Who is HobbyB?
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:30 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood