HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:01 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
I ran some back to back impeller test flights on the Mig-15, The 5 blade has a little more thrust at lower throttle but the 3 blade is much quieter at all speeds and puts out just fine at higher throttle. I put the 3 blade back in place, it's now my early morning EDF. These jets are so addictive and each one has their own traits. I'm loving this Mig-15, although battery compartment space is not so great. I thing I would have preferred moving the elevator servo more to the rear and having more foam removed for a good lipo fit.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:36 PM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
825 Posts
Is there a thread on the mini 50 mm F- 16. I just put the kit one together.
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:14 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
my 35mm T-45 i just put together from one the kits from HobbyB

i did a color mod and went with racing orange
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:56 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,841 Posts
Well, I flew the MiG-29 on 3s...and lost it! It was flying just fine, a little squirrely, but after I toned my thumbs down, I thought I was doing ok...then it turned over the school, and hit the low voltage cutoff, and went in on the roof of the school. I am sure it is still up there, but the battery, and all electronics will be toast, because of the pouring rain we had that night. Bummed. ---------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:04 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
Well, I flew the MiG-29 on 3s...and lost it! It was flying just fine, a little squirrely, but after I toned my thumbs down, I thought I was doing ok...then it turned over the school, and hit the low voltage cutoff, and went in on the roof of the school. I am sure it is still up there, but the battery, and all electronics will be toast, because of the pouring rain we had that night. Bummed. ---------Metalguy
Don't be so sure of that. I've had a plane go into the water. Let it dry out for several days and everything was fine. FYI, go with a soft cut instead of a hard cut off. That may help next time.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:31 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
480 Posts
Or reset the throttle and put in the minimum required to get back to base.
Whiskey Whiskey is online now Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:52 AM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Don't be so sure of that. I've had a plane go into the water. Let it dry out for several days and everything was fine. FYI, go with a soft cut instead of a hard cut off. That may help next time.
Same here had one of my 35mm f18's go into lake union and same plane was stuck in a tree for a few months last winter. Everything was fine cept lipo, just rust on the linkages.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:08 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
I converted my Mig-29 to a pusher (Thanks Ozzie), and it flew really great. I gave the airframe away to my flying buddy and assembled a new one.

This time, I taped the ailerons and just used the elevators. Didn't like it one bit. The elevator control surfaces were too small and I found the plane not responding well to my inputs. Here's a video of the initial flights with a spectacular crash at the end. I think a tailwind gust caused the nasty stall.
35mm Mig29 (pusher) FPV maiden flight (6 min 3 sec)

I have since linked up the ailerons, and also installed a 3 axis gyro on it. The next flight will be interesting.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Last edited by miketre; Oct 30, 2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:26 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,288 Posts
Nice video. Looks like a great place to fly. Where are you located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
I converted my Mig-29 to a pusher (Thanks Ozzie), and it flew really great. I gave the airframe away to my flying buddy and assembled a new one.

This time, I taped the ailerons and just used the elevators. Didn't like it one bit. The elevator control surfaces were too small and I found the plane not responding well to my inputs. Here's a video of the initial flights with a spectacular crash at the end. I think a tailwind gust caused the nasty stall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgDr7Qq6CZM

I have since linked up the ailerons, and also installed a 3 axis gyro on it. The next flight will be interesting.
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:42 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
I'm in Singapore.

They're both great places for small planes, but not too good for bigger ones.

The first place is a minefield of glitches and surrounded by buildings. Got a few bad crashes on my big planes when I flew further away. There is a couple of construction work going on so its days are numbered.

The 2nd place is full of joggers in the mornings and evenings. I try to limit my flying to the unpopular times of the days when the sun shines down in full force. This used to be a cemetery and it will be developed to be a residential area. Works will start at the end of this year. I try to get as much flying as I can, while I still can.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:57 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,909 Posts
Quote:

Mike ... you know it ...

It is a crime to replace two micro EDF for a push propeller

Don't do it again

Quote:
I'm in Singapore.

The first place is a minefield of glitches and surrounded by buildings. Got a few bad crashes on my big planes when I flew further away. There is a couple of construction work going on so its days are numbered.

The 2nd place is full of joggers in the mornings and evenings. I try to limit my flying to the unpopular times of the days when the sun shines down in full force. This used to be a cemetery and it will be developed to be a residential area. Works will start at the end of this year. I try to get as much flying as I can, while I still can.
Sound a hard urban life

On my you tube channel you can see that I can even throw out of the "windows" my little rc birds ... is just landing in my little garden that it is not easy ...

Once I manage to catch back by hand a little bird (from flying out of the window, I did not repeat it a second time) ... only issue ... if you miss to take the bird (not so easy, remote control and catch on the same time ) ... you may smash on a window or on the wall the bird

Anyhow ... when I'm not totally lazy ... I can walk few "seconds" for fly over a "potato field" ... and when I'm even less lazy, by few seconds by car, I have a real RC flying field ... that is huge grass field ... (this is also visible in some video of mine .. actually, all my flying fields are visible online )

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:09 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,288 Posts
What type of radio are you using?
I used to run boats in a pond near me and there was one area that had glitch problems. Must have been an underground cable.

Quote:
I'm in Singapore.

Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:59 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
e_lm_70, yeah I know it is borderline blasphemy!
But this is what a poor guy does when one of his motors burn and he has no loose change to buy a 2nd one. I just looked at your channel and you have a great place to fly. btw, how do you like your dolphin 555mm? I think that is a better micro fpv platform for me than the mig-29.

I've always dreamt about retiring to the countryside, buy a piece of land for my own private RC airfield. The problem is that it is another 30-35 years before I retire. and there are no countryside over here. It's not going to happen unless I migrate.

When I fly at the hill during the evenings, it usually draws too much attention than I like. These tiny EDFs attract much more attention than my micro prop planes. It's not uncommon to have a small crowd of 10 ppl sitting behind me watching me fly my planes. Sometimes they walk up beside me to have a closer look. This means I got to fly safe and proper and can't do stupid stuff like buzzing my headcam.

I don't enjoy the attention except for this one time when a sweet attractive female jogger came up to me to tell me how cool it was and we had a chat. I bet that hardly happens in the countryside
(btw, the conversation did not last long as I was rushing to discharge my packs before sunset, and I am a married man. lol.)
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:05 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
What type of radio are you using?
I used to run boats in a pond near me and there was one area that had glitch problems. Must have been an underground cable.
Me and my flying buddies are using Spektrum. We had glitches with both the orange receivers and the AR6200. I never had a prob with my AR8000, but then it's because I do not have a lot of flights with my AR8000 equipped planes there.
I'm slowly moving over to FrSky now.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:00 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,909 Posts
Quote:
e_lm_70, yeah I know it is borderline blasphemy!
But this is what a poor guy does when one of his motors burn and he has no loose change to buy a 2nd one. I just looked at your channel and you have a great place to fly. btw, how do you like your dolphin 555mm? I think that is a better micro fpv platform for me than the mig-29.

I've always dreamt about retiring to the countryside, buy a piece of land for my own private RC airfield. The problem is that it is another 30-35 years before I retire. and there are no countryside over here. It's not going to happen unless I migrate.

When I fly at the hill during the evenings, it usually draws too much attention than I like. These tiny EDFs attract much more attention than my micro prop planes. It's not uncommon to have a small crowd of 10 ppl sitting behind me watching me fly my planes. Sometimes they walk up beside me to have a closer look. This means I got to fly safe and proper and can't do stupid stuff like buzzing my headcam.

I don't enjoy the attention except for this one time when a sweet attractive female jogger came up to me to tell me how cool it was and we had a chat. I bet that hardly happens in the countryside
(btw, the conversation did not last long as I was rushing to discharge my packs before sunset, and I am a married man. lol.)
You know .. I have FPV gears since 2004 (micro camera+ 1.2Ghz trans + receiver + laptop with a digital video grabber ... just used for make an aerial video back in 2004 ) .. now I'm also getting some modern new bits ... but still I'm not into FPV ... going to try soon when I get a portable LCD, I don't like the goggles, at least I feel uncomfortable with the cheap one that I got (still around 70$ of waste order )

So, my dolphin experience is from normal RC fly ... and it is quite ok ... it is not a good glider, so it need some speed for don't fall down ... the mini swift is a bit better then the dolphin ... but for sure as FPV better the "fish" ... it is maybe a bit more nervous as a rc bird ... gut if you can fpv your MIG ... you should be doing fine with this one too.

In my opinon .. the best is a small-medium side EPP wing .. like the windrider mini-Bee ... it is still small ... but is a better bird for aerial.

Plus .. you can nose down full speed, and go away without damage.

But .. hey .. you said you have no money even for buy a spare motor ... now you want to buy a dolphin

About .. hunting girls with an RC aeroplane ... ... it must be asian girls ... the far east girls are maybe more technical interested then the west girls ... still I have to find one girl that care of RC toys ... my current and all my ex(s) did hate by RC stuffs ...

But it is true ... EDF keep more attention then normal RC plane ... .. even on the "country side" ... but never had much people around ... anyhow, here but .. small RC plane are consider a joke (including EDF) by the noob RC people on the field (at least on mine ... here if an RC bird is not from germany, or it is not made by balsa ... it is junk .. especially if it is small ... yes ... I'm not so popular at rc field ... so ... is more a pleasure to fly out of the window )

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: You can be on "country side" ... and thanks to internet, skype, etc etc ... you can work as good as in the office inside a busy city ... anyhow ... I have no idea about Singapore ... my only Far East experience was a two weeks business trip in Beijing years ago ..
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70