SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:29 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,491 Posts
Unless I'm reading your post wrong, Sounds to me like you are charging the lipo via the discharge leads. That's not a good way to do it. Lipos are better off being charged though the balance tap. When you charge via the discharge leads, if a cell goes bad there is no way to monitor the individual cells and the healthy cells get overcharged..... which typically results in a ballooning battery which ruptures and can catch fire. I've had that happen on older cells which did not have a balance tap. so I highly recommend charging though the balance taps so that each cell is charged individually. The Red JST connector is the discharge lead while the white connector is the balance tap.

What you should be charging with is a balance charger so that white connector plugs is used like in the balancer below. This isn't a charger, it just shows how it's pluged into the cell balancer.

If this were a balance charger, it the battery would plug in just like in the picture and each cell is monitored and charged seperately, rather than all cells in a series.

Depending on your charger, if it is set up to handle 1s lipo voltage, you might be able to use a balancer/charger module like this:

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...C1016646&img=l

Now if I read it wrong and you already have a balance charger, it doesn't matter what connectors you use. As long as you get power to the charger and from the charger, you'll be fine. You aren't charging at high amps anyways so none of the connectors are really going to be pushed hard.

Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Last edited by Joe 1320; Oct 15, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Unless I'm reading your post wrong, Sounds to me like you are charging the lipo via the discharge leads. That's not a good way to do it. Lipos are better off being charged though the balance tap. When you charge via the discharge leads, if a cell goes bad there is no way to monitor the individual cells and the healthy cells get overcharged..... which typically results in a ballooning battery which ruptures and can catch fire. I've had that happen on older cells which did not have a balance tap. so I highly recommend charging though the balance taps so that each cell is charged individually. The Red JST connector is the discharge lead while the white connector is the balance tap.

What you should be charging with is a balance charger so that white connector plugs is used like in the balancer below. This isn't a charger, it just shows how it's pluged into the cell balancer.

If this were a balance charger, it the battery would plug in just like in the picture and each cell is monitored and charged seperately, rather than all cells in a series.

Depending on your charger, if it is set up to handle 1s lipo voltage, you might be able to use a balancer/charger module like this:

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...C1016646&img=l

Now if I read it wrong and you already have a balance charger, it doesn't matter what connectors you use. As long as you get power to the charger and from the charger, you'll be fine. You aren't charging at high amps anyways so none of the connectors are really going to be pushed hard.

Yeah I think you are reading it wrong. I do have a balance charger, I then also have an EP buddy board allowing to balance charge multiple batteries. It is an only an option, but I do not need to use it. Ultimately all i need to do is charge the batteries, from reading around this plane and its batteries use JST connectors, which I don't own. But in my previous post I found those banana connector to JST which, if I am understanding just fine. Reason I said I could use my balance board(poor choice of words) should of said EP buddy board, is because that plugs into my charger via bullet connectors, however to plug into the board it has ultra deans.

My charger, doesn't show the buddy board tho

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=45
jirish617 is offline Find More Posts by jirish617
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Sep 2012
79 Posts
I just retread your post, I was unaware I can just charge through balance tap. On the hard case loops that use bullet connectors that's how we have to charge them! Learn something new everyday!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:40 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike20 View Post
Do you guys think the 3ch 35mm banana hobby mig 15 is easier to fly then the 4ch 30mm GP f86 sabre? I'm still having issues with my sabre. I'm hoping ill have better luck with the mig15 from banana hobby.
From my experience I wouldnt get the Mig 15, not the easiest to launch at all, and not easy to fly (I dont have the GP Sabre). Also the Mig has a very small wing area for its weight.
The Eflite Mig 15 launches much easier.
Here is a comparison. I have to add I am not a very experienced pilot.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22690667
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Last edited by green_flyer; Oct 15, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:43 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jirish617 View Post
I just retread your post, I was unaware I can just charge through balance tap. On the hard case loops that use bullet connectors that's how we have to charge them! Learn something new everyday!
So you have it all figured out then?

g
giuseppi is online now Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Sep 2012
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
So you have it all figured out then?

g
i think so? if someone can verify. now i just need to wait for a the frsky futaba micro rx to come in. my actual futaba micro rx seems far too large to fit in the canopy
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:10 AM
Joined Sep 2012
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post
From my experience I wouldnt get the Mig 15, not the easiest to launch at all, and not easy to fly (I dont have the GP Sabre). Also the Mig has a very small wing area for its weight.
The Eflite Mig 15 launches much easier.
Here is a comparison. I have to add I am not a very experienced pilot.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22690667
Yea my sabre is a pain in the butt to launch but I think it's personal error cause I wasn't checking cg.
Mike20 is offline Find More Posts by Mike20
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:48 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
You can get the motor and EDF as seperates from www.hobbyb.com. The fans come with motor screws as well. They are available in 3 blade or 5 blade fans.
$25 for just the motor? Is that a little pricey, or about right for this kind of motor?
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
$25 for just the motor? Is that a little pricey, or about right for this kind of maotor?
Well..... that's always going to be the debate. I was accustomed to spending about $28 plus shipping for a typical inrunner for my 40mm EDFs. I figure $24 plus shipping for this little outrunner is par for the course. Especially considering that the only other source was in Australia, the unit price was higher and when the shipping was added it wasn't cost effective at all.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:03 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
They were recently for sale for 22.50 but looks like the special has expired.

For this particular motor, even though I would have expected it to retail for around 17 bucks, is still not bad. The rest of the model is only a bucks worth of foam when you think about it...
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:05 AM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
825 Posts
What about the AEORC 35 mm motor fan unit from Hobbypartz?
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:26 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,391 Posts
Back on the charger thing,

there are two basic ways to charge multiple cell lipos. One is directly through the balance tap alone and it works fine on smaller batteries but I think you would need special leads to charge bigger batteries at higher amps.
The other way is to charge through the discharge leads but having the balance tap plugged into the charger balance board so it balances at the same time it charges. That's how my Turnigy 4x6s and my Gens Ace chargers works, that is also how my Accucel 6 worked.
You can see in this picture that my Turnigy 4x6s has one power lead and one balance lead on each port. Also each port is ran by a separate PC board.
Sky_Captain is online now Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:27 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jirish617 View Post
I came across this, the charger I use, uses bullet connectors. My balance board plugs in via bullet/banana connectors but has deans on the board itself. I could just use these correct? And just not use the balance board. I mean i lose the luxury of charging more than one battery at a time but this should work? only thing i am unsure if if the wire used in this would be rated high enough to handle the charging current .45A?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPHE0
Also, remember that there are a lot of different sizes of bullet connectors.
Sky_Captain is online now Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebuchadnezzar View Post
I believe the fan to be good, but the AEO motors are not very effecient. Way too high of an amp draw for these jets to carry the required lipo. I even changed the rotor in the AEO fan combo thinking that maybe a Jpower 5 blade would be more effecient and there was little difference in amp draw. The AEO motors are just not the best setup.
Last edited by Joe 1320; Oct 18, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:36 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,386 Posts
Oooops! I thought this was the GP 30mm Sabre Thread PLEASE DISREGARD THIS POST

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebuchadnezzar View Post
My opinion, for what it's worth:

You'd be better off with one of the Turnigy 1015 motors from HK as a replacement, if you're not looking to spend the $$$ for the OEM motor. They are not quite as efficient as the OEM motor but they are a direct fit requiring zero modification.

AFAIK no one has found a better motor than the original. Well, Nitrocharged might have, but it wouldn't be a production motor that you or I can get our hands on. Or, if we could, it certainly wouldn't be cheaper!

Sometimes ya' gotta just bite the bullet.

g
giuseppi is online now Find More Posts by giuseppi
Last edited by giuseppi; Oct 18, 2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Oooops! Oh, crud! I thought this was the GP 30mm Sabre Thread DISREGARD THIS RESPONSE!