SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:22 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebuchadnezzar View Post
I just received the 35mm F16 kit from HobbyB. What is the best way to set it up? Flaperons? Spoilerons? Any pictures. (got the 50mm kit too)
It works with two servos controlling coupled ailerons and tailerons. If you are going to run tailerons only, you better be flying it on 3s and keep the speed up or control effectiveness is diminished. That's why the linked surfaces.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:24 AM
Sweden, Stockholm
Joined Jul 2012
287 Posts
Thanks for all input, I was planing on buying one of these nano jets while buying a big(er) Durafly bird since extra shipping would be negligible, but I think I might pay a few bucks more and buy the F15 instead (twin ducted fans definitely earns awesome-points), thanks for the tip about hobbyb.com, hadn't heard of them before.

Followup question, is an OrangeRX R415 receiver a good fit for that jet? I haven't really experienced stellar range on the two copies of that RX that I have. Has anyone tried setting up differential thrust in one of these since it lacks rudder, not sure when you'd use it really, but could possibly enable some cool maneuvers. Not that I think my DX6i can handle that type of mixing though.
XeCutor is offline Find More Posts by XeCutor
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:24 AM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeCutor View Post
Followup question, is an OrangeRX R415 receiver a good fit for that jet? I haven't really experienced stellar range on the two copies of that RX that I have. Has anyone tried setting up differential thrust in one of these since it lacks rudder, not sure when you'd use it really, but could possibly enable some cool maneuvers. Not that I think my DX6i can handle that type of mixing though.
The R415 is a good fit and on almost all the 35mm ARF's as they use the 1.25mm pin, however, if you go with the F-15 ARF, they put regular plugs so you should go with the R410 or personally I prefer the R610 with casing removed.

Miketre setup thrust diff with his twin 35mm A-10. He had the settings posted earlier in this thread do a search for differential. And yes your DX6i should be able to handle that mixing just fine.

Oh and just a personal note, I don't trust the stock 2g servo's that come with these, I've had a few of them go bad during flights, once almost killed me ... seriously I almost gave up and died one day. I chuck em and use these HobbyKing 2g Servo I haven't had any of these fail yet. (They come in orange now tho)

F-15 on a windy day
Skyangel Twin 35mm Micro EDF (2 min 8 sec)

Servo Failure caught on Tape
SkyAngel 35mm Micro F-15 CRASH! (2 min 12 sec)
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Last edited by queadlunnrau; Oct 11, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:34 AM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
825 Posts
So the linked tail and ail surfaces should move in the same direction?
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:03 AM
Sweden, Stockholm
Joined Jul 2012
287 Posts
If I change the servos to those suggested (which I already have a couple of at home left over from my last balsa-build) it'd be simpler to use an R415 and change the ESC-plugs I guess. Those servos are not always well behaved on 5V, out of the 4 I have only one worked just as well on 5V as 4.3V (voltage after diode inline). The rest jittered horribly in one or both directions of travel. Could it be that the skyangel-servos died because they didn't like 5V either (not that anybody can answer my question)?
XeCutor is offline Find More Posts by XeCutor
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebuchadnezzar View Post
So the linked tail and ail surfaces should move in the same direction?
Correct.

As a heads up, the aileron control will be very touchy without adjusting throws/exponential. Set them conservatively for the maiden.
Whiskey Whiskey is online now Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeCutor View Post
If I change the servos to those suggested (which I already have a couple of at home left over from my last balsa-build) it'd be simpler to use an R415 and change the ESC-plugs I guess. Those servos are not always well behaved on 5V, out of the 4 I have only one worked just as well on 5V as 4.3V (voltage after diode inline). The rest jittered horribly in one or both directions of travel. Could it be that the skyangel-servos died because they didn't like 5V either (not that anybody can answer my question)?
Well, I cannot completely confirm. I have three jets that came with servos from skyangel as a PNP. The servos from mig-29 #1 won't die (tons of flights). The servos from mig-29 #2 died quickly and within a day of each other (probably 20 flights). The servos in the F-86 won't die either (around 40 flights). All the servos in my other jets are HK 282A. They say they are for 1 cell lipo but not to go over 5V. I haven't had a single failure with those. So I guess it's a roll of the dice as to what lives or dies.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:07 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Well, I cannot completely confirm. I have three jets that came with servos from skyangel as a PNP. The servos from mig-29 #1 won't die (tons of flights). The servos from mig-29 #2 died quickly and within a day of each other (probably 20 flights). The servos in the F-86 won't die either (around 40 flights). All the servos in my other jets are HK 282A. They say they are for 1 cell lipo but not to go over 5V. I haven't had a single failure with those. So I guess it's a roll of the dice as to what lives or dies.
Joe,

Are you using resistance to control the voltage to the servo? Or, I guess a better question would be, " What voltage are you supplying the HK 282A servos with? "

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Joe,

Are you using resistance to control the voltage to the servo? Or, I guess a better question would be, " What voltage are you supplying the HK 282A servos with? "

g
All these are using a 10A plush esc with 5V being supplied to the RX410 micro receiver. No diode, nada. I think the 282A servos have a resonable chance of survival because they are not being worked like if the plane was a 3D shockflyer.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:40 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,772 Posts
Joe,
Would you show some pics of the thrust line fix on the MiG? I would like to add one of these twin 35mm EDF to my hangar. I like that the F-15 is easy, i.e. relaxing to launch and fly, but prefer the more unique shape of the MiG.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
Joe,
Would you show some pics of the thrust line fix on the MiG? I would like to add one of these twin 35mm EDF to my hangar. I like that the F-15 is easy, i.e. relaxing to launch and fly, but prefer the more unique shape of the MiG.
I tried several pic angles, it's difficult to get it to show up properly. What I finally did here was take pics from the rear with the lens in line with the rear bell of the motor. From the angles shown, you can see how ithe fan and motor angles downward a few degrees. The reasult is that the air leaving the fan actually ends up pushing down on the bottom of the duct. the higher the volume of air exiting, the more it pushes the rear down. I realize that it sounds backwards..... another option is to set the fan so that it's straight and you add a 2-3mm depron insert on the bottom half of the duct exit so that the exiting air is deflected and it pushes the rear down. I had to do this fix on the ELERC A-10. On that model, there was a throttle induced nose down condition that was less than pleasant. Tilting the fan on that one wasn't a viable option like on this one.
Last edited by Joe 1320; Oct 10, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:24 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,772 Posts
Did you add some shim to the fan housing to get it to tilt in its slot or just glue it slightly tilted? I'm use to the 50mm cousin of these and the housing is touch to put in perfectly so just wondering if impeller rubbing is not a problem on these little cousins.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
Did you add some shim to the fan housing to get it to tilt in its slot or just glue it slightly tilted? I'm use to the 50mm cousin of these and the housing is touch to put in perfectly so just wondering if impeller rubbing is not a problem on these little cousins.
No shims, just added some GWS glue and put the fan in place. The magnetic covers were then put in place and I simply used my fingers in the rear of the duct to make sure both fans were set equally, it was set aside to dry. I checked it a couple times over the next several hours so that the fans stayed equal. I let it dry 24hrs and gave it a test, it performed exceptionally well compared to the original setup. The real tip here is to tack glue the fans in place. Those magnetic covers won't do squat to hold the fans in alignment. The covers are for access only and not for securing the fans.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:16 AM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,841 Posts
I did another unscheduled outside loop with the MiG-29 today. The center cover that runs over the esc's came loose in front again. It acts as a loooong control surface, and flips the plane over. Other tan that flight, I got in a couple of good flights in today, in rather grey conditions. I flew 4 of my planes today, but the 35mm saber blew up a fan, so it wasn't one of them.------Metalguy
metalguy is online now Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:20 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
I tried several pic angles, it's difficult to get it to show up properly. What I finally did here was take pics from the rear with the lens in line with the rear bell of the motor. From the angles shown, you can see how ithe fan and motor angles downward a few degrees. The reasult is that the air leaving the fan actually ends up pushing down on the bottom of the duct. the higher the volume of air exiting, the more it pushes the rear down. I realize that it sounds backwards..... another option is to set the fan so that it's straight and you add a 2-3mm depron insert on the bottom
Well shoot with fixed thrust line issue resolved my F-15 will have to have his rival in my fleet soon.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau