HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:58 AM
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Dec 2011
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
How did you set the failsafe for the R415 and 610?

I was under the impression that the R415 and R610 failsafes are not programmable and always defaults to 0% throttle + last position hold for other switches.
My hawk flew with full throttle when the receiver lost the signal...I never programmed any failsafe before so I used google to find out two things:

1: The failsafe for R610 and R415 is only possible for the throttle channel!
2: I can programm it with my DX6i very easy. The position of the throttle stick during the binding process is the failsafe! So maybe I had the stick during my first binding process at full throttle and didn't recognize it

Regards
warbird_one is offline Find More Posts by warbird_one
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:22 AM
United States, NJ, Rockaway
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_one View Post
My hawk flew with full throttle when the receiver lost the signal...I never programmed any failsafe before so I used google to find out two things:

1: The failsafe for R610 and R415 is only possible for the throttle channel!
2: I can programm it with my DX6i very easy. The position of the throttle stick during the binding process is the failsafe! So maybe I had the stick during my first binding process at full throttle and didn't recognize it

Regards
I question if the R415 has a failsafe in it.
I had a radjet 420 drive itself nose first into the ground about a month ago with a R415 in it. I am of the opinion that the failsafe is poo. I always bind all my receivers with the throttle closed. If the failsafe indeed worked it should have killed the motor but that motor just drove the plane into the ground at full throttle. I believe I was hit with some sort of interference but the failsafe by definition should have kicked in. I thought a cell had died and cause a brown out but the pack had maybe 30 secs of flight time on it and was at 4.0 v per cell when i put it into storage charge.
memnuts is offline Find More Posts by memnuts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:28 PM
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Dec 2011
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by memnuts View Post
I question if the R415 has a failsafe in it.
I had a radjet 420 drive itself nose first into the ground about a month ago with a R415 in it. I am of the opinion that the failsafe is poo. I always bind all my receivers with the throttle closed. If the failsafe indeed worked it should have killed the motor but that motor just drove the plane into the ground at full throttle. I believe I was hit with some sort of interference but the failsafe by definition should have kicked in. I thought a cell had died and cause a brown out but the pack had maybe 30 secs of flight time on it and was at 4.0 v per cell when i put it into storage charge.
Crazy, the same problem as I had. I'm just a beginner in rc-planes so I did not know that the default should be 0% throttle. But after my rebinding I tested the reaction of the receiver by shuting down my DX6i. And the result was 0% throttle. So I thought this was the consequence of the rebinding. But maybe the R415 does ignore the failsafe function in some cases I don't know. But if I have this problem again, I know...
Sorry that I could not help you!
warbird_one is offline Find More Posts by warbird_one
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:06 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2005
2,358 Posts
i am having issues with my new 35mm f-18 - got it all set up and built and took it for a maiden - all it it wants to do is sit back and almost "skid" out and flip over....i have moved the battery as far forward as possible thinking it was tail heavy but still had the same result.

any tips in regards to CG, setup, launching style / how to get it on plane after launch? I had ZERO problems with my 50mm version but this 35mm is becoming quite frustrating

thanks in advance
trust416 is offline Find More Posts by trust416
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:27 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trust416 View Post
i am having issues with my new 35mm f-18 - got it all set up and built and took it for a maiden - all it it wants to do is sit back and almost "skid" out and flip over....i have moved the battery as far forward as possible thinking it was tail heavy but still had the same result.

any tips in regards to CG, setup, launching style / how to get it on plane after launch? I had ZERO problems with my 50mm version but this 35mm is becoming quite frustrating

thanks in advance
Boy, that seemed familiar. I had fought with the setup on mine until I finally figured it out. Both ailerons and elevators must be first set completely level. then, reset the elevators with about 1mm up and make sure they are equal. The hand toss is critical. It must be thrown pretty hard, this isn't one that will take off on it's own from a little "toss". Throw it about 10 up from level with plenty of force like you are throwing a dart about 10 yards.

Make sure your ESC has been programmed for the full range of throttle travel. Start with the flight battery disconnected, turn on the transmitter and put the throttle stick to full. Plug in the flight battery and wait until the ESC beeps. Now reduce the throttle stick to zero, the esc will arm and recognize the endpoints. You're now good to go.

JPower F-18 35mm test flight (1 min 21 sec)
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:28 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2005
2,358 Posts
perfect!! will try all that stuff now....thanks joe!
trust416 is offline Find More Posts by trust416
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:56 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,395 Posts
I'm in need of a couple 3 blade rotors, if anyone has any left over from an ARF that they aren't using, please let me know.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:42 PM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
I'm in need of a couple 3 blade rotors, if anyone has any left over from an ARF that they aren't using, please let me know.
I have two brand new 3 blade rotors that I will never use. I do not however have the mounting "nut" for them.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
I have two brand new 3 blade rotors that I will never use. I do not however have the mounting "nut" for them.
Great! send me a Pm with how much and where to send payment.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Sep 2011
4,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Great! send me a Pm with how much and where to send payment.
Its a pain to pm on this phone but just send me your address and I will mail them out asap. No charge, they are just sitting here.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
Its a pain to pm on this phone but just send me your address and I will mail them out asap. No charge, they are just sitting here.
Sending an email is disabled, so I sent you a PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:59 AM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,641 Posts
I am currently wading through this thread, and am up to the 120's... I have an f-86, and converted it to 3s, but haven't gotten to fly it on 3s yet, as the hub spun in the rotor, and broke a blade on the 5 blade fan. I had been flying it on 2s, and had a ball with it, but after swapping out the ESC for a 10 amp, I noticed an odd vibration, and looked, and the rotor was not keeping up rpm with the motor, and really messed up the hub on it. The nut held, but the plastic is toast. I am buying the MiG 29 next, and will use one of the spare rotors that come with it. I am also ordering two ESC's for it, as I will probably go 3s with it, too. Is anyone flying with micro Walkera recievers? I am using their 4 channel micro RX, and 2801 pro TX. I found that the servo wires needed to be swapped for them to work, tedious to do. I am still looking for set up tips for the MiG twin though. I would like to set it up properly before maiden. Any tips?-------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,067 Posts
Hey Metalguy, no tips on the mig as I dont have that one ( ) but for the blade coming loose, I just put a dab of loctite on the nut and it seems to hold until the fans go.

As far as the servo plug swapping, I use an exacto knife to just pry up the little tab on the servo plug and they slide right out. I had been cutting, stripping, soldering and heatshrinking them but learned fast that its easier to just bend that tiny clip and swap the positions.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:13 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,641 Posts
Cloudflying: I swappedthe pins also. Tedious work, but not unsurmountable by any means. Would be easier if my hands were smaller. Meathooks just have a hard time gripping the wire LIGHTLY. I just read in pages 148-160 that I will want max elevator throw, and not so much on the ailerons, so that is all good info. I plan on flying it 2s for a bit, and go from there. As for the Saber, It appears the fan DIDN'T come loose, but the motor screws worked loose, allowing the fan to contact the case, and when it stopped, the motor kept going, fracturing one blade, and wallowing out the center hole. Oops. My bad, I think I also may have squashed the housing some when I clamped the EDF hatch for gluing. (I removed the magnets to save some weight) So...tomorrow I will pick the MiG up at the US warehouse. --------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:08 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Apr 2012
59 Posts
Metalguy,

You said you would pick up the mig at the US warehouse. Are you talking about hobbyking? If so, can you tell me where the US warehouse is?

Thanks,
Mike
verkair is online now Find More Posts by verkair