HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:46 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
826 Posts
I have a A10 waiting around to be built too, HK sent out the early fuses without nacelles, but finally I have some nacelles on the way. I'm going to build mine with 2x AEO 27mm fans, the logic being, they put out 55g thrust each at around 4A, so thats 110g together.
The airframe weigs around 50g, 2 AEO fans 17g, 2 esc 10g, 2 miniaviation 300mah 2s 32g, 3 servos and micro rx 8g. Estimated total 120g to round up, so very close to 1:1 thrust/weight.

Are you going with stock motors/fans?
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:28 PM
Jagd Flieger
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
197 Posts
Hello guys

What do you guys think of the Hobby King micro F-86 Sabre 35mm, the one pictured on page 1 of this forum, does any one have it and is it any good, I would like to buy one but I would like to find out how it performs.

Thanks Sabastian
Sabastian is offline Find More Posts by Sabastian
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:39 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabastian View Post
Hello guys

What do you guys think of the Hobby King micro F-86 Sabre 35mm, the one pictured on page 1 of this forum, does any one have it and is it any good, I would like to buy one but I would like to find out how it performs.

Thanks Sabastian
Hey Sabastian, that was my first of the 35mm line and I love it. It flies quite well but was a bit slow out of the box for my taste. It is however very stable and somewhat forgiving for its size. You can also switch out the esc with a 10amp esc (turnigy plush 10amp is perfect) and run on 3s packs for much higher speeds/better overall performance. I also really enjoy the 'Red Arrow Hawk' t45 they have.

Daniel
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:39 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,431 Posts
Joe, where are you putting the CG on the A10?

Thanks

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
The newest project is the A-10. Most things mock together nicely, but I can't say I'm fond of the way the nacelles go together. The base screws to the fuse, the tops of the nacelles end up requiring glue as they are just basically covers. This is one that will require the fans to be glued to the base and the top half of the nacelles tack glued. I bought the airframe kit and added my own landing gear left over from a Mig 29 arf. The airframe comes with ordinance, fuse add ons, canopy, and I purchased the hardware kit and decals as seperates. Right away I noticed the ailerons were not hinged well so I seperated them and used CA hinges. All is good now, but I would consider this mod to be mandatory. What surprised me is one aileron used some sort of spiked plastic hinge, while the other one didn't. Poor QC, but then again... this is in kit form and not an ARF.

The elevators required a joining rod as they are split, the vertical stabs are glued into place and the whole assembly glues to the underside of the fuse. The wing bolts on as do the bottom of the nacelles. The canopy is held in place with a tab and magnet. Now I just need to add the electronics. This should be interesting, I still have the ELE micro A-10 that uses twin 30mm AEO fans and motors for comparison. That model flys OK but is an amp hog. 24A peak in a micro is nuts. Mid teens would be a much more lipo friendly model.

The ESCs are supposed to be tucked into modled channels under the nacelle mounting braces with the wires going though two square holes in the nacelles. The aileron servos go in molded pockes under the wing, the elevator servo goes in a cutout under the tail. The fuse add ons combined with the ordinance basically requires you use landing gear or parts will get torn off on landings. Glad I had an extra set of these left over.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:06 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
green_flyer - that thrust from the Sabre fan is correct(and good thrust for the unit).
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:39 AM
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
826 Posts
Thanks Nitro, I was a bit worried at first
Does the thrust really go up to around 65g when in the GP airframe as some have reported in the Sabre thread?
If I cant get 65g out of these units I'll have to scrap the idea of using them in a twin Mig 29 or F15 (unless those airframes are less heavy than I planned for).
Last edited by green_flyer; Aug 27, 2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:20 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Green Flyer, I think you will find the GP Sabre Hyperflow 30mm EDF unit is capable of 65g thrust, inside a duct. You are correct that the fan sitting outside of an enclosure would be lacking the encapsulation required to make it perform to spec. You can roll a quick tube of depron, or use a sliced up coffee cup to test the differance fairly quickly. Especially since you already own it and have tested it. I love the little lightweight powerhouse for what it is! Good luck with your project!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:32 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Joe, where are you putting the CG on the A10?

Thanks

John
25mm back from the leading edge wing to fuse joint.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
I just did an interesting test. My 35mm AEO fan had the rotor fly off and broke off a blade during a test. I took an extra 5 blade JPower impeller and installed it to run a test. Using a 20A esc and a 2s 1000 mAh 20C, it pulled 20A. So it would seem that it's the motors that are amp hogs, not necessarily the rotor. Although I am sure that the higher blade count will consume a little more than a 3 or 5 blade impeller.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:51 PM
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Quote:
I just did an interesting test. My 35mm AEO fan had the rotor fly off and broke off a blade during a test. I took an extra 5 blade JPower impeller and installed it to run a test. Using a 20A esc and a 2s 1000 mAh 20C, it pulled 20A. So it would seem that it's the motors that are amp hogs, not necessarily the rotor. Although I am sure that the higher blade count will consume a little more than a 3 or 5 blade impeller.
Doesn't blade pitch come into play in this comparison though as well?
Primate is offline Find More Posts by Primate
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
Doesn't blade pitch come into play in this comparison though as well?
It does, but I don't see it making anywhere near the difference in amp draw that was observed. For example, that same 5 blade rotor using a Jpower motor is under 6A on 2s vs. 20A with the AEO motor. Considering how small the Jpower motor is compared to the AEO, It makes me wonder why such a huge difference with reasonalby similar kV ratings. ie; 9000 kV vs 11000 kV In fact, the Jpower setup on 3s is still less than half the amp draw as the AEO on 2s.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:32 PM
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Green Flyer, I think you will find the GP Sabre Hyperflow 30mm EDF unit is capable of 65g thrust, inside a duct. You are correct that the fan sitting outside of an enclosure would be lacking the encapsulation required to make it perform to spec. You can roll a quick tube of depron, or use a sliced up coffee cup to test the differance fairly quickly. Especially since you already own it and have tested it. I love the little lightweight powerhouse for what it is! Good luck with your project!

Fred
Thanks Fred! its good to know 65g is possible, I'm going to do my best to set it up so it pulls 65g, I need as much thrust as I can get for that F15 airframe, i suspect its quite heavy.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:50 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
It does, but I don't see it making anywhere near the difference in amp draw that was observed. For example, that same 5 blade rotor using a Jpower motor is under 6A on 2s vs. 20A with the AEO motor. Considering how small the Jpower motor is compared to the AEO, It makes me wonder why such a huge difference with reasonalby similar kV ratings. ie; 9000 kV vs 11000 kV In fact, the Jpower setup on 3s is still less than half the amp draw as the AEO on 2s.
I have pondered this issue too for a very long time. It seems the AEO motors have very bad effiency, similar to the old brushed motors of yesterday. But then it would seem that the motors would get very hot, but they haven't exhibited over heating on mine. I don't want to remove 4 blades on the 8 blade rotor, nor have I tried GWS rotors with only 3 blades left in place. I don't rewind either because I don't have the time to go through that learning curve right now. Wish it were different or that there was a magic answer. Good luck on that.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:40 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
I have pondered this issue too for a very long time. It seems the AEO motors have very bad effiency, similar to the old brushed motors of yesterday. But then it would seem that the motors would get very hot, but they haven't exhibited over heating on mine. I don't want to remove 4 blades on the 8 blade rotor, nor have I tried GWS rotors with only 3 blades left in place. I don't rewind either because I don't have the time to go through that learning curve right now. Wish it were different or that there was a magic answer. Good luck on that.

Fred
But Fred---The amp #'s don't lie...Amps are amps are amps...It is what it is...Maybe the motor doesn't heat up but the ESC is screaming to PLEASE QUIT!!!...I'm curious to see what the J-Power motor would do with an AEO 40mm fan...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:42 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
green_flyer - there's always the option of 3S
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged