SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:56 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Anyhow, more then speed ... I like to make loops ... fast aeroplane are booring
haha. I feel the same way too. I've been busy flying my 64mm F-15. I'm running them on 4S and get more than 1:1 and can do big loops. I even did a rolling loop. I'll PM you the video link if you are interested to see.
I don't do them on the 35mm jets as
- most of my 35mm planes I have requires a lot of down elevator when inverted.
- they are too squirelly
- i lose orientation of them quite quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
ps: You have a nice video about your T-45 35mm ... wandering if the speed reading with doppler is valid in case of a turn ... mine was going straight line ... but in case of turn I guess the dopler reading should show a speed in defect not in excess ... so I guess your micro bird goes probably above 100km/h ... anyhow ... you don't show so many loops ... as well ... how much fly time you get with a 360mAh 3S ? Mine is just 3m20 on 2S 300mAh ... was 4m with the 360Rhino ... I also think a 3S 300mAh nano-tech will give you even better performance ... lighter and more powerful for sure then rhino.
I'm not too worried about the speed actually. I went to 3S to get better thrust. I value good vertical performance much more than top speed.
Thanks for the nano recommendation. My rhinos are quite old and I'll be replacing them. I see that warbird_one has posted some buddy codes on them (Thanks!)
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:31 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
I had a few moments this morning before leaving for work, the maiden of the F-15 35mm was a success. This is a far better platform than the Mig 29. No wonky thrust line issues, in fact.... it really flys ultra stable and seems to handle like larger models. It's not the slightest bit twitchy like many micros. It gets my seal of approval for sure. The review will be finished and video clips posted later today.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:09 AM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,281 Posts
Nano techs are good, But for the money Sky Li-Pos in the high C ratings are a bargain. I don't know about how small a size they make though
alpea 41 is online now Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
The F-15 flight report.............

The hand launch was fairly uneventful with just a hint of roll to the left. After just a couple seconds I immediatly pull the stick back and pointed the nose straight up and it climbed straight up without any drama. The first flight's main purpose was to test for any thrust line issues that were quite apparent in the Mig-29. Even though I thought it was a fun model, it has some issues. This F-15 shows none of those traits and flys rock solid. In fact, it's perhaps among the most stable I've flown. There are no pitch issues when going to full throttle nor chopping the power and going dead stick, It actually behaves like a much larger plane that is devoid of any twitchy handling. Rolling verticals, large and even loops, inverted, and nice dead stick glide properties. In fact, I didn't even do any programming in the transmitter. I was expecting a hair more speed, but perhaps after playing with the new 50mm Screamer on 4s I might be a little spoiled. I cannot really complain as it moves along quite nicely. The 3 blade impellers sounded fairly quiet compared to my Mig-29, the thrust was good and the model cannot be described as underpowered in even the slightest degree. Once I swap in a pair of 5 blade impellers I will post a follow up of the flight performance.

The weather conditions have not been the greatest, there are tropical storms headed our way and the conditions show in the video. The lighting was a little challenging as was following the model, but you'll get the idea of how well behaved this model is.

So here is the maiden test hop

F-15 35mm Maiden test (2 min 40 sec)

In conclusion, the F-15 came out better than expected. There are no ill handling traits, there is plenty of room in the battery compartment for a wide range of lipos, overall I can see this being a favored model for park flying. The dead stick glide is quite predictable, the power is great on 3s, the sound is good, I can't really find much to complain about.

The Pluses

*Durable EPO construction
*Fairly easy to build
*Excellent flight characteristics
*Large battery compartment
*Excellent space for electronic componants

The Minuses

*No instructions included.
*No pilot figure like what comes with the plug and play models.
*Vertical and horizontal stabs require care when being glued to ensure proper location.
That part is not quite the no brainer like some of the other Jpower models.

So if you like the F-15 and can fly larger models, you should have no problems with this one. The flight characteristics really do feel like it's a much larger airplane but you can keep this in the back seat of the car for a lunchtime flight or two in the local park. It's easy to hit your spot on landing, the EPO construction should allow for quite a few tumbles that would turn EPS foam into confetti. is this plane for a beginner? Maybe.... I could see this being a first EDF for someone that has experience on other trainer type aircraft due to the fact that there are no bad handling traits and a dead stick glide with this one is exceptional for a micro.

In short, this kicks the Mig's hiney.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:56 AM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,281 Posts
Very nice Joe. Thank You
Glad I passed on the Mig when I had an opportunity to get it. I will look into hobbyb for this Lil Eagle... lol Yours was a kit? I asume
alpea 41 is online now Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
Very nice Joe. Thank You
Glad I passed on the Mig when I had an opportunity to get it. I will look into hobbyb for this Lil Eagle... lol Yours was a kit? I asume
I bought the airframe only:

http://www.hobbyb.com/skyangel-rc-f1...html?cPath=114

and control hardware:

http://www.hobbyb.com/skyangel-rc-pl...html?cPath=122

Now don't get me wrong, the Mig can be an enjoyable flyer... but it has some issue that need to be overcome. What the Mig needs would be transmitter mixing, like elevator to throttle so that cutting power would reduce elevator incidence and increasing throttle would increase elevator incidence. That would tune out those pitch habits. I still have one Mig 29 that I still fly.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:41 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,207 Posts
Good review, shows why I really love the 35mm F-15, it flies so well. One thing I really like about the 15 is it still has a lot of control when I chop the throttle, where my F-18's always needed some thrust for it to do anything.

Jpower/SkyAngel

MAKE A 50mm one!!!
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Last edited by queadlunnrau; Aug 24, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
Good review, shows why I really love the 35mm F-15, it flies so well. One thing I really like about the 15 is it still has a lot of control when I chop the throttle, where my F-18's always needed some thrust for it to do anything.

Jpower/SkyAngel

MAKE A 50mm one!!!
A twin 50 would be awesome, but I kind of gave up on them building 50mm twins. That's why this is in the works: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1633339
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:28 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
"Now don't get me wrong, the Mig can be an enjoyable flyer... but it has some issue that need to be overcome. What the Mig needs would be transmitter mixing, like elevator to throttle so that cutting power would reduce elevator incidence and increasing throttle would increase elevator incidence. That would tune out those pitch habits. I still have one Mig 29 that I still fly."
I cut the tail surfaces and reset them to zero incidence. Made it fly sooo much better.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:57 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Does anyone have a spare fan w/motor they aren't using???...I need to buy these for a project...HobbyB is out of the 5 blade rotors...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post

Jpower/SkyAngel

MAKE A 50mm one!!!
The only twin 50 J-Power makes is the SU-34 and maybe an A-10. The SU-34 is a nice plane, but a little slow stock. Well, we all know the cure for that!

I flew the SU-34 for about 6mo's and then both fans expired within seconds of each other and it came to a bad end. Anyway, I think I'll get another one. It's a good size. Something in between the the average 64mm and 70mm size. Hard to beat the price...

http://www.x-flight.com.hk/index.php...&more=&lang=en

I'd be very interested in an F15, at the very least, and an F/A18, but I doubt anybody at J-Power is listening.
19000rpm is online now Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:49 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
870 Posts
I put a GP sabre fan together, its very light!
I tried a static thrust test but only got 55g, I think it may be because the blades dont sit inside the housing (which is very short anyway), it probably needs a duct to get the best out of it. A similar thing happened when I shortened the housing on a wemo fan, the static thrust for the fan on its own dropped.

I'm trying to secure it into the Jpowe Sabre, but its a bit tricky there is a lot of space in there and I need a nice smooth transition from ducting to fan.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Does anyone have a spare fan w/motor they aren't using???...I need to buy these for a project...HobbyB is out of the 5 blade rotors...

Kevin
I think they said the 5 blade fans would be back in stock at the end of August.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
I'm going to retract a previous statement. The winds were starting to pick up a little and I took the F-15 out for a flight. I just hammered the throttle and hung on. It's plenty fast, it powers right though the wind and performance is awesome. In the initial tests, I was going from wide open to dead stick and never really let it all hang out..... this time I did and it was impressive. HUGE loops with no hint of bad tracking or falling out of the loop. It just powered though those effortlessly. I don't think I'm even going to bother with the 5 blade impellers. It's great just as it sits.... it rips! After the storm passes, I'll get a better video that shows the speed. I think I'll even get a second kit, one for speed and the other with landing gear and ordinance.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
The newest project is the A-10. Most things mock together nicely, but I can't say I'm fond of the way the nacelles go together. The base screws to the fuse, the tops of the nacelles end up requiring glue as they are just basically covers. This is one that will require the fans to be glued to the base and the top half of the nacelles tack glued. I bought the airframe kit and added my own landing gear left over from a Mig 29 arf. The airframe comes with ordinance, fuse add ons, canopy, and I purchased the hardware kit and decals as seperates. Right away I noticed the ailerons were not hinged well so I seperated them and used CA hinges. All is good now, but I would consider this mod to be mandatory. What surprised me is one aileron used some sort of spiked plastic hinge, while the other one didn't. Poor QC, but then again... this is in kit form and not an ARF.

The elevators required a joining rod as they are split, the vertical stabs are glued into place and the whole assembly glues to the underside of the fuse. The wing bolts on as do the bottom of the nacelles. The canopy is held in place with a tab and magnet. Now I just need to add the electronics. This should be interesting, I still have the ELE micro A-10 that uses twin 30mm AEO fans and motors for comparison. That model flys OK but is an amp hog. 24A peak in a micro is nuts. Mid teens would be a much more lipo friendly model.

The ESCs are supposed to be tucked into modled channels under the nacelle mounting braces with the wires going though two square holes in the nacelles. The aileron servos go in molded pockes under the wing, the elevator servo goes in a cutout under the tail. The fuse add ons combined with the ordinance basically requires you use landing gear or parts will get torn off on landings. Glad I had an extra set of these left over.
Last edited by Joe 1320; Aug 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM.