4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Yes---Do you have the fan as well???...

Kevin
No fan pm sent
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 3d astronaut; Aug 17, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:09 PM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bps View Post
I just found out that trimming a rotor down from my 40mm AEO fan unit works great. It threads onto the small shaft of the motor out of the T45 and makes a great looking 35mm fan unit. More blades and they are a bit wider. Most likely pull a bit more amps but give more thrust. May be able to fly on the 450 2s. Report to follow.
Just flew this mod today in 8-10 mph winds. Very impressive but I am waiting to fly in near zero wind to see how this fan actually flys compared to the stock. I would use stock if I could get one. Trimming the AEO fan down it is difficult to keep all the blades equal and keep the fan balanced. Overall looks like this fan gives more thrust on the 450 2s. More later
bps is online now Find More Posts by bps
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:46 PM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
817 Posts
Flew the nano T45 today again. Using a cut down AEO 45mm fan on this plane is the way to go. Nice speed and flew well out of a hand launch using a 450 2s battery.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Dec 2011
105 Posts
3S and 3-blade is a blast with the t-45

Hi guys,
yesterday I had my maiden with my T-45 on 3S. I used Turnigy Plush 10A and 370mAh 3S Nanotechs in combination with the 3-blade fan. I did not think about using the 5-blade because I don't want to burn my esc.But if you say the 5-blade works maybe I will try this too.
But guys my actual setup is awesome!!!! The launch is still a little complicated but the jet is a rocket now! The 3-blade sounds amazing and the t-45 goes vertical. Big loops no problem and much more speed.
All in one I can recommend the upgrade to 3S and 3-blade fan. 2S was nice but 3S rocks
If the temperatures go down in germany (today 38 degree C) I will try the 5-blade. Today the esc is able to burn if its only laying in the sun

Another question where do you position your receiver in the t-45. I saw a small hole above the cockpit can I push it in there? At the moment it's beside the elevator servo...

Regards
warbird_one is offline Find More Posts by warbird_one
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:44 PM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
817 Posts
I have my receiver located in the slot just behind the rear of the canopy and above the elevator servo. This let me get my 2s 450 stuffed into the area just under the elevator servo.

I also am considering ordering AEO 35mm 8 blade housing and fan. Maybe I can use the 2 cell battery and the stock T45 motor.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:01 AM
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Dec 2011
105 Posts
Cool,

I put the receiver in the slot you talked about. Then I cutted some foam away and pushed the lipo as far back as possible(beside the elev-servo, as you said). Now I do not need the extra weight at the end of my hawk to get the right CG! Tx for this idea...I don't know why I did not make this before....
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:46 AM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
817 Posts
Glad that helped. The last thing this tiny jet needs is more weight. I am still working on a decent way to hand launch this jet. About half the time I fly it into the ground!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:31 AM
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Dec 2011
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bps View Post
About half the time I fly it into the ground!
Me too It's better with 3S but still I'm going to start above high grass to absorb the possible crash...I tried the underhand launch as well but then the jet makes a roll to the right with a following nose dive...but it's very sturdy!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:08 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
Here is how I have been launching these jets since day 3 or so. This video was actually my first attempt at the underhanded style and it worked perfectly and has worked perfectly ever since. Ive only had one bad launch after switching to underhand and that was after I had landed in some tall grass and broke a fan blade. So much for pre flight checks lol. On 2s, you need to toss it in an arching motion, let the nose come down a bit to pick up a little speed then gently pull back on the elevator and it will climb right out. On 3s, you can practically just drop the darn thing and its up and away. This video is VERY loud and VERY windy. Its the 2s f86 but it works the same for my t45 as well
Skyangel 35mm F86 Modified (2 min 40 sec)
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:13 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,704 Posts
Yes

I made my T-45 35mm to loop from level

I just replace the 360mAh 2S from Rhino ... for a new 300mAh 2S 35-70C Turnigy nono-tech ... wow ... I can loop till the end of the battery time

So ... no need to go 3S then for me

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: I did change my under-hand bowling style for a more conventional over-hand ... and I think it is more easy ... even if the previous bowling style was working to me ... but maybe I lost practice to it.

pps: I did fly 2 battery on my T-45 35mm .. and between flights I used my hacked-cheap RadJet 420 (3S but with 2000kv, so similar to PNF stock version) ... ups the T-45 is looking so slow ... also the RadJet is much more reacting ...
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:41 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
827 Posts
I realised I have a AEO 35mm 8 blade rotor around somewhere, so I dug it out, pushed it onto a JPower 35mm fan motor, quickly balanced using Nitro's method (except I used blue tack). Very easy to fit, I think I had it fitted and balanced in about 10minutes. The press fit didnt even seem to slip at full throttle.
Here are the results, 70g thrust for 6.25A on 2s, not a worthwhile improvement over stock I think. From memory stock 5-blade produced 61g for 4.2A on 2s.
Maybe it would have produced more thrust with a bigger esc, I used a Thunderbird 6.

p.s. servo hole was taped over so no cheating

F86 35mm stock motor, 8-blade 35mm AEO rotor (0 min 54 sec)
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Last edited by green_flyer; Aug 21, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:35 AM
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Dec 2011
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post

I made my T-45 35mm to loop from level

I just replace the 360mAh 2S from Rhino ... for a new 300mAh 2S 35-70C Turnigy nono-tech ... wow ... I can loop till the end of the battery time
Oh really cool. It's a pitty that I did not try higher rated lipos. Because I lost some time to wait for the 3S setup...

Quote:
So ... no need to go 3S then for me
But I think 3S is still more powerfull than the 2S setup. And it was not expensive. 10$ esc and 4$ one lipo...the jet goes unlimited vertical... But main thing is that we're both happy with our little red rocket

Quote:
ps: I did change my under-hand bowling style for a more conventional over-hand ... and I think it is more easy ... even if the previous bowling style was working to me ... but maybe I lost practice to it.
You're right.
I find out yesterday that the over-hand-launch does always work if you throw strong enough and a little upwards. My hawk is a bit nose heavy (I love it) and when it's thrown up in the sky, it falls down gets speed and ....away
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:39 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,704 Posts
Here are the prove of my loops with stock set up :

HobbyKing Red Arrows Hawk 35mm EDF Micro Jet EPO (PNF) with 2S 300mAh 35C (3 min 29 sec)

Anybody willing to doppler me for check my speed ... I made some low pass at around 2m40 second mark ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: This is one of my best video using my keycam #11 on my baseball cap ... that mainly means that the other that I did are quite bad ;-)
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:39 PM
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Dec 2011
105 Posts
Impressive performance with stock setup!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:25 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,757 Posts
Tchuss,
That was a scary launch...even with a high C 2S. Remind me again if you're using 3 or 5 bladed fan?

I'm looking to retire my 50mm T-45 and this 35mm might be a good replacement. Does 3S make launching simple?
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109