SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 29, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
I went ahead and did the first modification. A cheater hole. There is a square panel on the bottom side of the wing, i cut that out and then cut the rear edge at an angle, sweeping back toward the fan. This resulted in a faster speed, higher thrust and a much better flying plane. It can now loop from level flight..... not elegant, but the pane is more powerful on the same battery pack.
I did that exact same thing. Sharpie actually makes a silver marker that matches like 99% with this silver paint. http://www.usartsupply.com/ItemDetai...No=SRP+39107PP I used it on the bare foam in the cheater hole and have used it on the inside of the intake without any issues. I have yet to fly with the cheater hole but there is a noticeable increase in thrust with just simply un-covering/covering the hole.

edit/ is there a suggested list of mods for this plane?
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 3d astronaut; May 29, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
edit/ is there a suggested list of mods for this plane?
I don't know what others recommend. I've already seen the need for the cheater hole, perhaps a thrust tube, and some foam removal for better lipo fit. With a 10amp esc, then a 3s lipo will make this rock.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old May 29, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
I plan on doing what you are, running it on 2s for a bit and then moving up to 3s eventually. I already ordered an esc and some batteries.

Has anyone flown the f15 of this line?? That thing looks saweet!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old May 30, 2012, 02:18 AM
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
I had a look at my F-86 again to examine why it was not flying as expected.

I did the following mods and it tracks much better.
- made aileron pushrods from a stiffer material
- bent slight polyhedral in the wingtips
- added wing fences made from clear lexan. Now, I do not know if this has any effect but I thought that since I am at it, I might as well give it a go anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPYCqSj7b_U

It now tracks well enough for me to be comfortable to buzz my head.

I noticed that there is quite a fair bit of upthrust. Looking at the plane, I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions? Meanwhile, I will do a throttle-elevator mix for this.

The exhaust of the F-86 is also smaller than the Mig15, which gives it less static thrust but more top end speed. This explains why I find it the hardest to launch. I will leave it as it is.
So that was you on youtube sorry for the crazy username, its like 10 years old lol. Thanks for updating the info! I recently cut a "cheater hole" in my f86 and ordered some 3s batts/new esc. Cant wait to test it out
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2012, 03:34 AM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,214 Posts
Quote:
I plan on doing what you are, running it on 2s for a bit and then moving up to 3s eventually. I already ordered an esc and some batteries.

Has anyone flown the f15 of this line?? That thing looks saweet!
The f-15 flies great, i have a couple videos a few pages back. Just search F-15 in this thread
queadlunnrau is online now Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old May 30, 2012, 08:01 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,456 Posts
Quote:

!
After 2 more flights this morning, I can say that everyone who does the cheater mod on the F-86 will be quite happy. This plane is superior in performance with just that change. Much more spirited and agile, the plane has the power to push though an off step condition rather than just sink like before. I was quite dissappointed in stock performance, This is more like it! I don't even notice the cheater duct while in flight.

I don't think I want to do a reduction on the tailpipe unless I step up to 3s voltage. Reducing the exit diameter increases speed with the trade off being reduced static thrust. Higher voltage would increase the thrust to where the exit reduction would be of most benefit.
Old May 30, 2012, 09:02 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
So that was you on youtube sorry for the crazy username, its like 10 years old lol. Thanks for updating the info! I recently cut a "cheater hole" in my f86 and ordered some 3s batts/new esc. Cant wait to test it out
So that was you. Lol! your youtube username sounded like a spammer's account.
Since I did those mods, I have also programmed in a throttle to elevator mix. It feels better now. The nose don't dive so much now when I cut the throttle.

Quote:
After 2 more flights this morning, I can say that everyone who does the cheater mod on the F-86 will be quite happy.
Joe,sounds good. I might give it a try. With the mod, did you notice any ballooning or sinking with throttle change?
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old May 30, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post

Joe,sounds good. I might give it a try. With the mod, did you notice any ballooning or sinking with throttle change?
Nope. It flew well!
Old May 31, 2012, 02:42 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,919 Posts
My success launch rate in bowling style is almost perfect now ...
I think I need to make a video of it ... it works so good ... and it is pretty elegant

Last 6 launch all success ...

I also need to change a bit my first impression:
- The micro T-45 track very good and accurate.
- Rolling and climbing is not spectacular ... but I can get used to it ...
- Landing with flaps ... at zero throttle it is very nice now (I got the bad attitude to land with no power, maybe since I "learn" to RC fly from a wing ... if power was on on landing the propeller also get broken)

Only missing thing is to make a loop ... even after a dive ... I'm still not good enough for make it one in a good way ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: It is got my everyday flight in the morning ... on the way by car I can a quick stop at the flying field ... and I can have my 4 minutes of relax fly before start to work
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old May 31, 2012, 07:43 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,058 Posts
Quote:
I went ahead and did the first modification. A cheater hole. There is a square panel on the bottom side of the wing, i cut that out and then cut the rear edge at an angle, sweeping back toward the fan. This resulted in a faster speed, higher thrust and a much better flying plane. It can now loop from level flight..... not elegant, but the pane is more powerful on the same battery pack.
Very interesting. I was thinking of going to 3s, but this sounds like a much simpler and cheaper way to more power. I was generally against cheater holes, but with it being on the bottom, you can't see it on the ground, and it's apparently hard to see in the air, so the non-scale aspect isn't really an issue.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old May 31, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
Very interesting. I was thinking of going to 3s, but this sounds like a much simpler and cheaper way to more power. I was generally against cheater holes, but with it being on the bottom, you can't see it on the ground, and it's apparently hard to see in the air, so the non-scale aspect isn't really an issue.
my thinking was along those lines at first. I don't like cheaters, but this intake duct is horrible. I eyed the model in the air before cutting, decided it just needed to be done. When I looked at that square panel, it sure looked to be in the proper place and the proper size. Hmmm.......perhaps something on purpose? I figured if I could see the cheater in the air, I would disguise it with some kind of colored pattern. Turns out that unless you buzz frighteningly close to yourself , you won't even notice it. If things are anything like my other models, it's still not going to be as powerful as 3s but at least a healthy boost that brings the plane to acceptable levels.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
After doing the "cheater hole" mod... All I can say is wow. This thing went from a nice slow and gentle to a pretty dang quick and responsive plane. I am thoroughly impressed with this power increase with this slight modification. Now all I need to do is fit it for some bigger 2s batteries and it will be even better. It rolled, it looped (inside and outside) and had enough power to get me out of any trouble I got into. Cant wait for the rain to stop so I can go back out and fly it more.

Joe, nicely done with this mod. I had just a square box cut into mine until I saw yours. I went and trimmed it at an angle as you mentioned. I also took that silver sharpie and colored the foam and it looks like it was manufactured that way. As you said, you cannot see the "cheater hole" while in flight. Highly recommend this mod before going to 3s!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,456 Posts
Quote:
After doing the "cheater hole" mod... All I can say is wow. This thing went from a nice slow and gentle to a pretty dang quick and responsive plane. I am thoroughly impressed with this power increase with this slight modification. Now all I need to do is fit it for some bigger 2s batteries and it will be even better. It rolled, it looped (inside and outside) and had enough power to get me out of any trouble I got into. Cant wait for the rain to stop so I can go back out and fly it more.

Joe, nicely done with this mod. I had just a square box cut into mine until I saw yours. I went and trimmed it at an angle as you mentioned. I also took that silver sharpie and colored the foam and it looks like it was manufactured that way. As you said, you cannot see the "cheater hole" while in flight. Highly recommend this mod before going to 3s!
Glad you got the same results! I get lucky sometimes.
Old May 31, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Glad you got the same results! I get lucky sometimes.
Seriously.. Its like night and day Before it was a slow sluggish turd that was being outran by the great planes f86. I mean it was getting dogged on by that f86. Now it should at least keep up Either way, I was/will be grinning ear to ear
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Hey can someone please post a pic of their inside hatch after clearing out some room for the bigger batteries? I am going to fit a 460mah 2s lipo in there as the 350 just runs out of juice too quick. I have gone through quite a few pages and have only seen pics with the batteries in the plane. Thanks either way!

edit//

not going to make a new post for this but I noticed my canopy getting a little warn so I ordered a new one with my latest order and got a buddy code. (shameless plug )
F86 Sabre 35mm EDF Micro Jet Cockpit Canopy Save US$: 0.31
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 3d astronaut; May 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM.