HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 14, 2012, 08:13 PM
Registered User
3d astronaut's Avatar
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
Is there a list for recommended setup for the f86? I am digging/searching this thread and cant seem to find anything. I will probably go my usual for the dr/expo but am open to suggestions. Still (very impatiently ) waiting for my sabre! Where are you guys getting this twin mig-29???
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 07:25 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2009
2,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
Is there a list for recommended setup for the f86? I am digging/searching this thread and cant seem to find anything. I will probably go my usual for the dr/expo but am open to suggestions. Still (very impatiently ) waiting for my sabre! Where are you guys getting this twin mig-29???
If you want to add your own servos, esc's and rx you can get it here http://www.toysonics.com/mig-29-nano...ess-motor.html.

Or, buy it rx ready at http://www.bananahobby.com/2221.html

In either case you'll need to supply your own battery and charger.

HK also has them.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 08:34 AM
Registered User
Angelo's Avatar
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
Is there a list for recommended setup for the f86? I am digging/searching this thread and cant seem to find anything. I
Don't have the exact throws, but I fly it on lower rates with a bit of expo, much easier to fly that way. Still rolls quickly at top speed.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 03:18 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
kc135boomer's Avatar
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
I do not know if I got a bad batch or not but my F-15 would hardly fly whether I was using the 3 or 5 blade setup on 3s, so I said the heck with it, pulled the motor out of my HK T-6 and made it a pusher. Hopefully that helps. it seems to have 100% more go..
kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 05:14 PM
Luck is my skill
queadlunnrau's Avatar
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc135boomer View Post
I do not know if I got a bad batch or not but my F-15 would hardly fly whether I was using the 3 or 5 blade setup on 3s, so I said the heck with it, pulled the motor out of my HK T-6 and made it a pusher. Hopefully that helps. it seems to have 100% more go..
Wow sucks yours does not fly well stock.

Mine now officially has more flights than all my other EDF's combined. She's just so conveint to take along and mine flies so well I don't mind flying it in a small park.

Though mine is not stock, replaced the ESC's with some cheap TowerPro 12a's after one of the stock ESC's burned on me from my pre-maiden checks! I was on the 3-bladed fans and worked well in a bench test, thank goodness I did a pre-flight check.
queadlunnrau is online now Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 01:35 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
kc135boomer's Avatar
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
I did all that and thinkI just had weak first run of motors. If the wind ever quits I will go see how it does as a pusher. It has a ton of thrust now lol
kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 09:54 PM
Registered User
bladefan's Avatar
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2006
273 Posts
for the PNP Mig15, does the orange r415 rx work without modification with the servo wiring or there an issue with polarity?
bladefan is offline Find More Posts by bladefan
Last edited by bladefan; May 17, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 11:18 PM
Mike
miketre's Avatar
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
Is there a list for recommended setup for the f86? I am digging/searching this thread and cant seem to find anything. I will probably go my usual for the dr/expo but am open to suggestions.
The F-86 is one of the easier jets to maiden. Go with the recommended CG. may need some weight in the nose with a small battery. I did without the dead weight by using a big battery (Rhino 2S 620 mah).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefan View Post
for the PNP Mig15, does the orange r415 rx work without modification with the servo wiring or there an issue with polarity?
no issues with polarity. It's a direct plug in.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012, 08:07 AM
Registered User
warbird_one's Avatar
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Dec 2011
105 Posts
Searching for replacement motor...

Hi guys,

today I had a bad crash. I think it was a rx-failure. The jet did not react to any steering commands....impact on the street

Only the nose was broken. I can repair it easily. But the motor seems to be busted. I think the shaft is curved maybe some bearings are damaged too.

Where can I buy a replacement motor or a motor that fits into the jet? I did not find one on hobbyking
Any tips?

Regards,
Michael
warbird_one is offline Find More Posts by warbird_one
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012, 08:51 AM
Registered User
Joe 1320's Avatar
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_one View Post
Hi guys,

today I had a bad crash. I think it was a rx-failure. The jet did not react to any steering commands....impact on the street

Only the nose was broken. I can repair it easily. But the motor seems to be busted. I think the shaft is curved maybe some bearings are damaged too.

Where can I buy a replacement motor or a motor that fits into the jet? I did not find one on hobbyking
Any tips?

Regards,
Michael
Now you've found the rub........

You can buy the fans, it's the motor that seems to be the trick. There one place in Australia that sells just the motor for the insane price of $30 plus shipping. You're better off buying a new airframe that comes with the fan and motor, you're way ahead in the long run.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 11:22 AM
Registered User
warbird_one's Avatar
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Dec 2011
105 Posts
Hi,

I found the shop in australia...but this price is out of the question. I disassembled the motor and realigned the shaft. The hawk flies well but not with as much power as before. It's ok for now but I'm going to find an alternative to the stock motor....

On eBay Germany I found one. Does somebody know this edf unit?

Regards,
Michael
warbird_one is offline Find More Posts by warbird_one
Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 11:54 AM
Registered User
Joe 1320's Avatar
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_one View Post
Hi,

I found the shop in australia...but this price is out of the question. I disassembled the motor and realigned the shaft. The hawk flies well but not with as much power as before. It's ok for now but I'm going to find an alternative to the stock motor....

On eBay Germany I found one. Does somebody know this edf unit?

Regards,
Michael
Oh yeah....... AEORC fans. They sound great, but are amp hogs. I use them in various sizes when I have an ample lipo bay to compliment it.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 02:03 PM
Registered User
warbird_one's Avatar
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Dec 2011
105 Posts
Hi,

Quote:
Oh yeah....... AEORC fans. They sound great, but are amp hogs. I use them in various sizes when I have an ample lipo bay to compliment it.
I'm still a beginner in flying rc-planes....Because of this my here comes my next stupid question Can I use this edf in the nano hawk with 2S lipo and stock esc or do I have to change the components in the jet?

And is the quality of the AEORC edfs acceptable?

Regards,
Michael
warbird_one is offline Find More Posts by warbird_one
Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 02:19 PM
Registered User
Joe 1320's Avatar
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_one View Post
Hi,


I'm still a beginner in flying rc-planes....Because of this my here comes my next stupid question Can I use this edf in the nano hawk with 2S lipo and stock esc or do I have to change the components in the jet?
You'll have to change the ESC and the lipo. That fan will draw around 20amps, so the stock ESC and lipo won't cut it. You would need a 20A esc and a lipo probably around a 2s 450 mAh 65C lipo. Flight times would be incredibly short, you would need multiple packs to get long flight time. It might work ok if you aren't after lots of speed. Full thottle will drain the packs fast!


Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_one View Post
Hi,

And is the quality of the AEORC edfs acceptable?
They are the middle of the road. Not high end quality, but they don't need to be at the speeds we spin them. I've used the 8 blade fan in several different airframes that can carry the appropriate lipos, I'm satisfied. The 8 blade fans are not the most effecient, but they do serve a purpose...... higher blade counts move a good volume of air and create a great whooshing sound that's more like a turbine than a destist drill.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Last edited by Joe 1320; May 20, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 02:20 PM
Luck is my skill
queadlunnrau's Avatar
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_one View Post
Hi,


I'm still a beginner in flying rc-planes....Because of this my here comes my next stupid question Can I use this edf in the nano hawk with 2S lipo and stock esc or do I have to change the components in the jet?

And is the quality of the AEORC edfs acceptable?

Regards,
Michael
If you are thinking about the 35mm aeorc, You will need a larger esc. I had the 35mm aeorc running in one of my nano f18's it burned out an exceed 12a esc so the stock 6a won't cut it.

I ended up cutting 4 of the 8 blades and used a stripped 20a esc.



Though it did fly great! Set timer to 1:30-2:00 for a 2s 500mah though. Only 1min at wot

I had a YouTube video of it, but since I didn't have a camera person and it was just a few passes on a fixed camera, I pulled the clip, it was pretty quick though.
queadlunnrau is online now Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Last edited by queadlunnrau; May 20, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Mini Mig-15 EDF from Hobby King Dreamcatcher Foamy EDFs 6 Jan 16, 2012 09:58 AM
New Product JPower/Banana Hobby 40mm Foam Mig-15 and F-86 ducted fan Mikemynameis Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 557 Aug 18, 2011 05:01 PM
Build Log Hobby King Micro A-6 & F-86 Jets tallflyer Foamy EDFs 4 Jun 04, 2011 02:05 PM
New Product J-Power 30mm EDF Jets (F-86 & Mig-15) xplaneguy Foamy EDFs 1 Jan 16, 2011 05:59 AM
Park/indoor EDF F-86 and MiG-15 production news! Thomas B Parkflyers 8 Feb 06, 2002 06:30 PM